ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Srx 815 x2 with one sub  (Read 2282 times)

Dustin Campbell

Srx 815 x2 with one sub
« on: May 11, 2018, 08:07:46 PM »

Hey all, I’m going to be doing sound for a band at the local eagles foe- I’m going to be using the bands mixer - studio live 3 series (they want to record it) my question is I have 2x srx 815 and 2x srx818 - they wanted subs but I think the room is to small and it might be over kill - I was thinking of just using one sub - can I do a one sub set up without external speaker management? Or should I just use both or just go full range on the tops without subs? I don’t have the dimensions but it’s not a big place and stage space might be limited- just a classic rock band- thoughts and suggestions and of coarse questions all welcomed- also this is the maiden voyage for these speakers other than just testing them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:21:03 PM by Dustin Campbell »
Banning CA,

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Srx 815 x2 with one sub
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:58:30 PM »

my question is I have 2x srx 815 and 2x srx818 - they wanted subs but I think the room is to small and it might be over kill.
May be... so just don't turn them up as much. Another thing to note, a sub makes for a more compact speaker stand than a tripod which often helps in tight spaces.

- I was thinking of just using one sub - can I do a one sub set up without external speaker management?
Certainly.. I do it all the time.

Or should I just use both or just go full range on the tops without subs?
If they are going to do a recording and want good results then they will want everything in the PA and no on stage amps at all, because in a small space particularly anything with it's own amp will not be in the mix as it will already be too loud. And if everything is in the mix then you want at least one sub.

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »

May be... so just don't turn them up as much. Another thing to note, a sub makes for a more compact speaker stand than a tripod which often helps in tight spaces.
 Certainly.. I do it all the time.
 If they are going to do a recording and want good results then they will want everything in the PA and no on stage amps at all, because in a small space particularly anything with it's own amp will not be in the mix as it will already be too loud. And if everything is in the mix then you want at least one sub.
For sure - I’m not to concerned about the recording it’s more just testing the capability of his board

Banning CA,

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 10:54:24 PM »

As someone else mentioned top pole mounted on a sub takes up less space than a top on a tripod (looks better too, IME). If floor space is at a premium then a single top over a sub (or two) will probably work fine - unless you absolutely need a stereo FOH or a second speaker for coverage. 

If stage volume is going to be an issue in a small place (typically, guitars, snare, cymbals, maybe bass) then reinforcing around that may be required. That could mean bumping the kick up in the mains and without subs that'll be hard to do. Even if the band's volume isn't too loud then it'll be easier to build a lower volume but powerful mix with more low end. I'd rather have it and not need it then not set it up and wish I did.

Hey all, I’m going to be doing sound for a band at the local eagles foe- I’m going to be using the bands mixer - studio live 3 series (they want to record it) my question is I have 2x srx 815 and 2x srx818 - they wanted subs but I think the room is to small and it might be over kill - I was thinking of just using one sub - can I do a one sub set up without external speaker management? Or should I just use both or just go full range on the tops without subs? I don’t have the dimensions but it’s not a big place and stage space might be limited- just a classic rock band- thoughts and suggestions and of coarse questions all welcomed- also this is the maiden voyage for these speakers other than just testing them out.

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 11:46:20 AM »

As someone else mentioned top pole mounted on a sub takes up less space than a top on a tripod (looks better too, IME). If floor space is at a premium then a single top over a sub (or two) will probably work fine - unless you absolutely need a stereo FOH or a second speaker for coverage. 

If stage volume is going to be an issue in a small place (typically, guitars, snare, cymbals, maybe bass) then reinforcing around that may be required. That could mean bumping the kick up in the mains and without subs that'll be hard to do. Even if the band's volume isn't too loud then it'll be easier to build a lower volume but powerful mix with more low end. I'd rather have it and not need it then not set it up and wish I did.
Looks like I’m bringing both subs- small footprint- put some kick in and if it’s too loud I’ll just turn it down - better to have more than not enough

Banning CA,

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »

The studiolive3 has onboard multitrack recording capabilities onto a sdcard and by default it is pre-everything so it doesn’t matter if the audio sources are in the FoH or not.

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »

The studiolive3 has onboard multitrack recording capabilities onto a sdcard and by default it is pre-everything so it doesn’t matter if the audio sources are in the FoH or not.
Cool - so it is pre everything- does this mean it doesn’t matter what eq & effects I do per channel as well?

Banning CA,

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 02:01:25 PM »

Cool - so it is pre everything- does this mean it doesn’t matter what eq & effects I do per channel as well?

Yes.

Pre-everything means exactly that.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 03:03:03 PM »

Looks like I’m bringing both subs- small footprint- put some kick in and if it’s too loud I’ll just turn it down - better to have more than not enough

You can also leave one sub off if it's too much.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 05:20:54 PM »

You can also leave one sub off if it's too much.

You fell for the trick question, Dave.

There ain't no such thing as too much sub. TANSTATMS®

8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 05:20:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.