ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage monitors - how much is enough?  (Read 11944 times)

Rick Powell

Re: Stage monitors - how much is enough?
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »

Thanks Tim.

Check out the DIY coaxial wedge here.

I have 4 of them, probably spent $2k on everything including the drivers, crossovers, wood, hardware, Duratex and renting a table saw to make the cuts. They are great and take up fairly small space, but looking back I wish I'd spent the extra $ to buy the 12CXN76 B&C neo coaxials instead of the heavier 12FCX76 ferrite models.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:59:11 PM by Rick Powell »

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 08:08:36 PM »

Size != Performance

My SRX812's seem to have as much low end as the prx615's they replaced.

If they were only for monitors maybe i could have got something even smaller for lounge gigs, but i have used them for anything from monitors, foh - with/without subs, guitaramp (axefx), delay speaker, step ladder, etc.
It's more important to me to have a versatile speaker that will do anything I ask of it.

So to the OP, figure out what you need then find a speaker the meets your needs.
Leave out speaker size, wattage (heat), and focus on performance, weight, etc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:22:23 PM by Callan Browne »
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

ClarkWG3

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »

All Yamaha passive cabinets for monitors....... 4 - 12s, 4 - 15s, 1 - single 18" sub. 1 - 12" vertical on top of single 18" is drum & 4 - 15s for 5 mixes is our typical, often add a pair of 12s front center, with horns opposite ends, for lead vocal for 6 mixes is a close 2nd. Often have 2 or 3 in-ears added into the shuffle btw, frequency split and biamp the drum monitor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 10:40:30 PM »

My personal opinion is that 12" is the end all be all monitor size. Drums should and can use a sub, but should have a 12" atop of it.

From an objective standpoint, the 12" form factor is perfect in size, frequency response and level to do the job. They are usually cheaper, smaller and in theory should sound better. There really isn't much a 12" can't do when put up against a like 15" model. If you want all that low end, then go get a three way model and do it right :)

I own the RCF NX12SMA model and I too love it. It gets REALLY loud, is stable and sounds good doing it. Compared to my other Renkus Heinz CFX series monitors ( also 12" ) they really show you what the difference between a coaxial and conventional layout design can do with pretty much all else being the same. The RH CFX121M and the RCF NX12SMA are spec for spec, nearly identical. The RH's are no slouch and certainly sound better than many other monitors out there and that I have owned / used. The NX12SMA's are definitely on another level though. Just about every coaxial unit I have ever used has just been better than a conventional 2 way design. If your looking to get some real wedges, the NX12SMA's are a good choice.

I think the whole 15" monitor thing is more about SPL than sonic range really. The 15" models typically get 1-3db louder than comparable 12" models and this is what sticks in the minds of users and perhaps even some engineers. My attitude is that it doesn't matter how loud a speaker can get if you can't get it loud enough to be heard without feedback. While I haven't had too many bands that were slamming 120db of anything out, my experience has been that if the monitor is capable of producing around 125db peak or more, it should work well for most acts. Now work is the big ? mark. If you can't get the speaker to be stable at the needed levels, it just won't matter how loud the speaker could get.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 12:58:01 AM »

That is a true statement; however, clarity throughout the spectrum is much better from a 15" cone than a 12" cone, highs use same cone

2 things:

Huh?  Bullshit.

Change the display name field in your profile to your real first and last names or the mods will delete your post.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2018, 04:38:31 AM »

Size != Performance

My SRX812's seem to have as much low end as the prx615's they replaced.

If they were only for monitors maybe i could have got something even smaller for lounge gigs, but i have used them for anything from monitors, foh - with/without subs, guitaramp (axefx), delay speaker, step ladder, etc.
It's more important to me to have a versatile speaker that will do anything I ask of it.

So to the OP, figure out what you need then find a speaker the meets your needs.
Leave out speaker size, wattage (heat), and focus on performance, weight, etc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Callan,

I'm going to be designing and building from scratch (as I have done with all my FOH gear), and wanted a target to aim at. It looks like the RCF coaxials are the ones to match or beat.

It'd be relatively easy to slap a 12" coaxial in a box and call it good. I like the form-factor of a pair of 8"s with one of them coaxial, so I'm going to see if it can be done that way.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 07:19:07 AM »

That is a true statement; however, clarity throughout the spectrum is much better from a 15" cone than a 12" cone, highs use same cone

I would love to hear the reasoning behind this statement.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber