ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Help selecting Foh mains  (Read 2079 times)

Luis_Marquez

Help selecting Foh mains
« on: May 10, 2018, 03:08:14 am »

Hi there guys and gals. Needs help selecting Foh mains. I have been out for over 15 years and now have time to start up a one man provider for local bands/church festivals. Over several months, I have been acquiring gear based on what I have been reading on this forum. Wife thinks Iím cheating because I spend several hours on the web reading/ searching this forum.

So far I have a x32Rack, venue 360 for processing, plx3402, nu4-6000 amps and a pair of C____n trx12n. Radial DIís , sm86, e935, sm57, B52, e904,pro37ís. I acquired a pair of Trx153n mains and trx218 subs. Both in descent shape. My goal is a pair of Noesis3tx over a pair of Captivator 212proís but funding not quite there. I am or was wanting compact and of quality. Target genre is Latin polka/folk(accordion, 10 string guitars, drums, bass, sousaphone) , Banda( marching style instruments) church festivals, talent shows.

My need of direction is do I keep ,run with the Trx rig and get the Jtr rig or Pm90 down the road or get one of the following?
1. Yamaha dsr112/dzr112 over C212pro new
2. C____n Trx3903 vertical array(4) used over C212pro
3. Jbl prx 712/718xlf used

One of my brothers knows of several local bands that might unload their mains. I heard the 3903ís with playback at low volume serveral months ago. It sounded ok. They are very compact and easily serviceable. They are loaded with stock Faital 3fe25 3Ē drivers as was shown on pictures taken by the owner.
      I greatly value your thoughts and suggestions. Many have years behind the mixing board and your experience is highly regarded.

Dave Scarlett

Re: Help selecting Foh mains
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 07:19:22 am »

You don't have to be mysterious about Carvin here. If at a good price the used JBL's would work

Scott Gaines

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 08:50:06 am »

The TRx stuff I've heard sounds pretty good.
Any particular reason you decided to go the passive speaker route? These days, active seems like the only way to go to me.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:29:29 pm »

The TRX is / should be a step up in terms of the quality over that of the JBL PRX stuff, but the PRX line is VERY hard to beat given its performance and price, the DSR included. The DSR is also just one step up the rung of the PRX in terms of performance and DSP, but price wise is in the same market.

I would normally say sell off what you have and go powered, but you won't really be able to sell your current gear for a price that straight out buys the active units. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. You have a good rig that should provide plenty of performance for quite some time. Get some return on it first before selling off and re-investing in what is now older technology and soon to be replaced. The 700 series PRX is actually discontinued. The DSR series is up for a renovation very soon and it may pay off to wait and see where it goes in a year or two.

The end goal is the JTR stuff it sounds. It may do you well to keep what you have and make money and save, to then later get what your looking for. Don't get the other powered units just because, all you will be doing is throwing that money away.
I don't understand how you can't hear your self

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 09:56:09 pm »

The TRX is / should be a step up in terms of the quality over that of the JBL PRX stuff, but the PRX line is VERY hard to beat given its performance and price, the DSR included. The DSR is also just one step up the rung of the PRX in terms of performance and DSP, but price wise is in the same market.

I would normally say sell off what you have and go powered, but you won't really be able to sell your current gear for a price that straight out buys the active units. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. You have a good rig that should provide plenty of performance for quite some time. Get some return on it first before selling off and re-investing in what is now older technology and soon to be replaced. The 700 series PRX is actually discontinued. The DSR series is up for a renovation very soon and it may pay off to wait and see where it goes in a year or two.

The end goal is the JTR stuff it sounds. It may do you well to keep what you have and make money and save, to then later get what your looking for. Don't get the other powered units just because, all you will be doing is throwing that money away.

Thanks for your replies.

Dave, not trying to be mysterious just that the owner of the 3903ís was bitter at that company for some issues he had with an amp under warranty ,a size able order that was given the run around and was left hanging.

Scott, the reason for passive is that I took it as a form of payment from non-audio work performed some time ago.

Luke, I was not sure at what level the trx stuff was. Also agree It wonít be a straight out sell/ buy for active stuff. Might be better off getting some return on it, as you stated, and see what the future brings

Chris Grimshaw

• Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 03:36:32 am »

Luke, I was not sure at what level the trx stuff was. Also agree It wonít be a straight out sell/ buy for active stuff. Might be better off getting some return on it, as you stated, and see what the future brings

Time to put the Business Hat on.
What you've got there is a decent pile of equipment that's all paid for. Any money you can make on it (apart from running costs) is pure profit.
A set of JTR or JBL SRX or whatever will put you several thousand pounds/dollars down, and it'll be how many gigs until that's paid off and you're where you are now?

Right now, you're in a good place from a business point of view. In your position, I'd run the rig you have until something breaks (or you're really up against the limitations of the system) before looking to upgrade.

FWIW, spending a little money on a decent measurement mic and USB soundcard would be an excellent investment. With some reading, learning and practice, you'll be able to tune any rig you come across.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 09:41:11 am »

Right now, you're in a good place from a business point of view. In your position, I'd run the rig you have until something breaks (or you're really up against the limitations of the system) before looking to upgrade.

FWIW, spending a little money on a decent measurement mic and USB soundcard would be an excellent investment. With some reading, learning and practice, you'll be able to tune any rig you come across.

Chris
I do have a lite measurement set I just put together consisting of studio six smart/transfer function , Art dual pre, and a Berry ecm8000. Also down loaded REW. Once I get comfortable understanding what is being measured, grasp the concept of phase/magnitude and take many measurements then stepping up to Smaart 8 would make sense. Donít know if my vista laptop would be compatible with Smaart.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:24:53 pm »

Donít know if my vista laptop would be compatible with Smaart.

Just upgrade to win 7, its practically free these days.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 04:06:02 pm »

I do have a lite measurement set I just put together consisting of studio six smart/transfer function , Art dual pre, and a Berry ecm8000. Also down loaded REW. Once I get comfortable understanding what is being measured, grasp the concept of phase/magnitude and take many measurements then stepping up to Smaart 8 would make sense. Donít know if my vista laptop would be compatible with Smaart.

Contact me via the forum PM, I have a source for legitimate Windows 7 and 10 license keys that are surprisingly inexpensive.

The big thing about measurement is the "why".  Why am I making this measurement, what is it comparing and what is my anticipated outcome?  If I don't get the answer or measurement I expected I need to figure out what happened - did I do the measurement wrong or badly?  Am I measuring the right things to get the evaluation I need?  Particularly early in measurement it's likely one makes many invalid measurements.  It takes experience to catch those before one makes compounding errors based on those flaws.  We have a measurement forum dedicated to helping with Smaart, Systune and similar dual channel FFT analyzers.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Mal Brown

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 04:15:32 pm »

My B rig is Kw-153ís over KW-181ís.  1 guy can transport and deploy quickly.  Is it the ultimate ?  Oh hell no.  Is it effective and workable for the kind of gigs you describe, heck yeah.

Fairly plentiful in the used market.  Tough to kill.  Decent sounding.

I also want 3Tx over Orbit Shifters in my case but ...  the ROI for those is too far down the road for me to take the plunge this year...
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.