ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup console?  (Read 4700 times)

Terry Martin

Re: Backup console?
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 11:43:15 AM »

We carry X32 and X32 Rack (IEM rack) to all shows.  We’ve never needed a backup but we’re prepared just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mal Brown

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 12:36:41 PM »

Main is an SI 1 or 3 with or without the 32x12 stage box gig depending.  Backup is a ui-24.

For smaller gigs, the ui - 24 and no backup is how I typically run.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 03:21:21 AM »

I'm not doing shows anymore that need anything bigger than an X32, so if there's a guest mixer I'll take a full size console. If not, a Producer for full-size console shows.

For X32 Rack or XR-18 shows, each of those rack cases has another of the same consoles in it (so 2 XR-18's, etc.).

Having an analog console as a spare in the digital age where there's NO outboard gear onsite will seriously shortchange the show. It'll make noise, but the noise won't be pretty.

As I just said in another thread, the size, weight, and cost of a spare duplicate digital console are negligible by historic standards and it doesn't make sense to NOT have one on hand. This cheap gear will die eventually, and regularly saving the show to USB and having a functionally duplicate console on-hand makes it quick and easy to swap, load, and go in event of a failure.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 05:55:18 AM »

I have a X32 core in each of my Midas DL stagebox-racks. For DJ and small stuff, and for backup. I also bring an 16/8 100ft analog multi, which lives on the bottom of my powercable case
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:57:59 AM by Geert Friedhof »

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 08:42:48 AM »

I keep an XR18 as a backup for my X32 Rack.

Same here. I used to carry a MixWiz but have since gone totally digital

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »

Main is an SI 1 or 3 with or without the 32x12 stage box gig depending.  Backup is a ui-24.

For smaller gigs, the ui - 24 and no backup is how I typically run.

I use an SI Impact or SI 1 with or without the 32x MSB.  My Backup is the UI16.  Smaller gigs where I bring the UI16 as primary, I keep an old but fully functional M1402 with a Lex400 O/B in the car....just in case.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »

XR18 or Presonus 16.0.2 as backup to my SQ6 :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »

LS9-16 as backup to my Midas M32R. I keep it in my truck all the time now. I use to use a Midas Venice 32 as backup to my LS9 - it's been retired to my basement.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »

I don't carry a back up to my Soundcraft Si3 anymore if local gigs. I will take my A&H GL with analog snake if going farther away. Digital consoles have come a long way.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 02:50:14 PM »

What do you carry as a spare in case your main FOH console goes down? I have an 8ch. Soundcraft (analog), w/ no outboard gear. It helped get me through the night once. I use a StudioLive 16.4.2 (non AI) for all my shows.

John

If you are using an analog board your back up can be any other analog board as long as it has the same number of channel inputs, output sends, and inserts that you require. All the connectors should be the same on each board. XLR or TRS outputs for example.

If you are using digital, it only makes sense to stay with the same manufacturer and product line for your back up. You want to be able to save your scene to a usb drive and then be able to load the scene into your backup mixer.
I have QU mixers and carry a QU-Pac for backup. If the main mixer fails, I can swap out the mixer and load the scene into the QU-Pac and be up and running in less than 5 minutes. The other thing I like about the QU-Pac is that you can actually mix from the unit itself as it has a user interface. You are not dependent on a tablet to mix.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 02:50:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 26 queries.