ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance Manager dbx and SMAART  (Read 1731 times)

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
Performance Manager dbx and SMAART
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:25:41 PM »

I got a really good deal on a dbx DriveRack 4820, which I wanted primarily for SMAART integration.

Audio Architect is OK, everything is working, but now it's time for SMAART.
Unfortunately, I'm finding Performance Manager to be completely impenetrable.

I can add a couple generic speakers, but then I have to add Crown amps which I don't own, and those amps need presets which I can't find, and is there really no way to just open the device?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:14:23 PM by Dan Richardson »
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
Re: Performance Manager dbx and SMAART
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »

OK, I've built a venue in Performance Manager with fictitious amps and speakers and my 4820. The 4820 is online, and its control panel functions. I see no way to integrate it into the venue, hook it up to anything, or make it available to SMAART. PM's Measurement window tells me I have 12 filters remaining, which would appear to be in the fictitious amps. The entirety of documentation I can find is two sentences at the end of JBL's 5 Amplify Manually Mode video, when the guy says "The goal of this menu is just to integrate processors into the venue for matching devices. At this point, there are no additional enhancements available for processors in Performance Manager."

Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:14:05 PM by Dan Richardson »

Keith Erickson

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 01:49:01 PM »

OK, I've built a venue in Performance Manager with fictitious amps and speakers and my 4820. The 4820 is online, and its control panel functions. I see no way to integrate it into the venue, hook it up to anything, or make it available to SMAART. PM's Measurement window tells me I have 12 filters remaining, which would appear to be in the fictitious amps. The entirety of documentation I can find is two sentences at the end of JBL's 5 Amplify Manually Mode video, when the guy says "The goal of this menu is just to integrate processors into the venue for matching devices. At this point, there are no additional enhancements available for processors in Performance Manager."

Am I missing something?

The SMAART integration into PM is only related to the power amps as they are what is doing all the DSP in a Performance Manager controlled system.  There is no way to get the 4820 EQ to work with the SMAART measurement window.  You can still use the DSP in the 4820 for routing or additional guest EQ or for any speakers that you do not have I-Tech HD turnings for.  If you don't have the Crown amps then you don't need to use PM. I would stick with Audio Architect.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »

There is no way to get the 4820 EQ to work with the SMAART measurement window.

re a question as to who has implemented their API, Johnny at Rational says "JBL Pro – Performance Manager: Available when controlling certain Crown amplifiers and dbx processors. Overlay of Smaart measurements, full utilization of the API, and support for capturing temporary traces within Performance Manager."

You're saying they are incorrect? That makes me sad. Anybody want to buy a 4820?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »

If that was the sole reason for buying the 4820 sell it. However, there are many more pluses to using that DSP than you're giving it credit for. Explore the possibilities before you get rid of it, take time to see what it and you can do with it. I have been using a 4800 for years. It MIGHT be for sale when I'm dead.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »

re a question as to who has implemented their API, Johnny at Rational says "JBL Pro – Performance Manager: Available when controlling certain Crown amplifiers and dbx processors. Overlay of Smaart measurements, full utilization of the API, and support for capturing temporary traces within Performance Manager."

You're saying they are incorrect? That makes me sad. Anybody want to buy a 4820?

Performance Manager is a subset of Audio Architect that was built to streamline a particular work flow for specific product combinations.  Your 4820 isn't a part of that family. :(

As Bob L said, it's a versatile processor.  I'm sure you can re-home it should it not do the tricks you need.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.