ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Kick Drum in Sub  (Read 19236 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Kick Drum in Sub
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »

Other people have been asking me if my sub is on an aux.  How do I find out whether it is or not?

Uh... SMH

I'd think the system installer would have labeled the connection but who knows?  There's enough "not quite there" stuff about this system to question almost everything.

Look at the back of the mixer or remote stage box (if you have one).  Trace the OUTPUT connections and see where the wires go.  If you have an analog copper snake, look at the wire number (printed on the heat shrink tubing near the snake's connectors), then go to the stage or where ever the snake head is, find that wire number on the box (or it could be a letter - A, B, C etc) and physically follow the wire to the amp rack.  Do this for EVERY output connection from the console/snake/digi box... Make a drawing or at least a list of where things go.

If the system is in stereo you'll have 2 wires going to the amplifier(s) that power the top boxes.  You'll probably have a few more wires that go to stage monitors or IEM system, any assisted listening system, etc.

An easier way might be to start at the subwoofer amp and trace the wire back to where ever it comes from.  There are 3 possibilities:  the input to the subwoofer amp comes from snake/console/digi box and is either Y'd to the top box amps or uses a pass thru or loop thru connection on the sub amp to feed the top box amps; the input to the subwoofer amp comes from a Y or loop thru connection from the top box amps; or the input to the subwoofer amp comes from another channel in the snake/digi box/console output.

Or you could just call up the installer and ask?

Which brings me to a final point - all of these questions and problems should be brought to the installing contractor.  Your church (as an institution) has system issues that should be addressed by the company/person that sold you this installation.  You should not need to *repeatedly* come to these forums for the help the church has already paid for.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »

Is it possible the amplifier attenuators were messed with after the installer left?  You might try marking the present positions, and then dial the mains amplifier(s) back until the sub is loud enough.  (Speaking from experience here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2018, 12:49:44 PM »

I didn't see that nayone has suggested this, but have you tried plugging the kick into another channel, like maybe the one the bass is in now and see what happens?

That will narrow it down to the channel itself, although most likely still a routing issue.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2018, 03:56:38 PM »

I didn't see that nayone has suggested this, but have you tried plugging the kick into another channel, like maybe the one the bass is in now and see what happens?

That will narrow it down to the channel itself, although most likely still a routing issue.

Great suggestion!  Sometimes the simplest ideas get overlooked.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »

As it is unlikely that only 1 channel of a mixer will fail (even in the old days the input preamp IC was dual channel) it's possible that the physical XLR connector has a cold or cracked solder joint.  Very unlikely but still possible and takes little time to check.

If there were only a LABster near Issac I think this could be sussed out in a few minutes.  There are too many moving parts for his experience level to happen quickly otherwise.  That said, his church is indirectly providing him a whole bunch of experience!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2018, 04:58:19 PM »

I'm headed to Nashville in a couple weeks.  I will be driving through Central Kentucky.  If it's not too far out of the way (the wife will be with me), I'd be willing to stop by and check things out.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Kick Drum in Sub
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2018, 10:41:29 AM »

As it is unlikely that only 1 channel of a mixer will fail (even in the old days the input preamp IC was dual channel) it's possible that the physical XLR connector has a cold or cracked solder joint.  Very unlikely but still possible and takes little time to check.

If there were only a LABster near Issac I think this could be sussed out in a few minutes.  There are too many moving parts for his experience level to happen quickly otherwise.  That said, his church is indirectly providing him a whole bunch of experience!

Haha Tim, that’s the exact perspective I try to have with it all. We are in a small town, so there’s not many resources close to us. But we have some quite decent music for our size. You guys on here have helped me more than you realize. I’m very thankful.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »

I'm headed to Nashville in a couple weeks.  I will be driving through Central Kentucky.  If it's not too far out of the way (the wife will be with me), I'd be willing to stop by and check things out.

David - That would be amazing. I’m sending you a PM.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2018, 09:11:06 AM »

David - That would be amazing. I’m sending you a PM.

Got it. I'll let you know if we can work it in to the trip.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Kick Drum in Sub
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2018, 11:18:46 PM »

So I’m just now getting around to doing some investigation on our sub. The mic itself seems to be fine (Beta 52). Cable doesn’t seem to be an issue. By the way, the kick sound really really great in our ears. But again, if you stand next to the sub and turn it up in the house, it sounds like a piece of paper being hit.

Anyways, me and my right hand man went behind the stage to where our rack stuff is and we were going to trace the cable from there to the sub just to make sure it was plugged in correctly and make sure a mouse hadn’t eaten through it or something.

But when we got back there we had no idea where to even find the cable that goes to the sub. Once again, our installers left us with no explanation and no training on anything. Not blaming them, just giving my reason for ignorance.

I took some pics of the rack. Can someone help us figure out which of these cables would be for the sub? I know the top two are for monitor mix 1 and 2. And the L and R cables are for the LR mains. But where is he sub cable? Let me know if these pics don’t work.

ProSoundWeb Community

Kick Drum in Sub
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2018, 11:18:46 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.