ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New to DJing, want to try it.  (Read 11750 times)

Joe Pieternella

Re: New to DJing, want to try it.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 12:47:40 AM »

I second the RMX by Hercules, I have the original, I find the current ones more gimmicky with their distance sensors. They also seem less rugged than the first series. They might have added balanced outputs by now though.

I do have to add that if you only DJ on your own equipment this is the most cost effective solution. It even comes with a stripped down version of virtualDJ. However the popular CDJ/DJM combo's can also add revenue as rental stock depending on how saturated the market is in your area. Most any club will have them as part of their own inventory so they will see most use in the summer months on festivals, floats, parades and other open air events.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 04:14:06 AM »

There are a LOT of clubs around that have some form of Pioneer system, and the venue I used to work at (they still pass me external gigs occasionally) is happy to rent them to me to fill riders. So, I'm not looking for a full Pioneer setup - there's no ROI on that around here.
Besides, this is for personal use that might transition into professional use if I get any good at it.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I've spotted the Hercules RMX unit on the usual auction site comes in around £100 delivered, which is the sort of money I'd want to spend. I suspect that it'll come with the unit, cable, and maybe a case, and that's it.

How would I go about the software side of things? Can I download VirtualDJ and it'll just work? I figure with second-hand gear, the software key will have already been used, and can't be transferred.

Cheers, all.
Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 09:45:26 AM »

How would I go about the software side of things? Can I download VirtualDJ and it'll just work? I figure with second-hand gear, the software key will have already been used, and can't be transferred.

Cheers, all.
Chris

The stripped down versions as far as I know apart from being outdated are also only available on the CD with the sound card drivers on it.
 The older demo versions had a 30min per session time limit after which the software would shut down but had no other limitations. They now have a free version without the time limit, but you can't use a controller. To do this you'll need the pro version. There might be other viable options though besides vdj.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Lee Douglas

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 05:16:02 PM »

I went with VDJ Pro all those years ago and have been able to upgrade over the years with no additional cost.  I wanted the Pro license after watching a friend of mine struggle with a hacked previous version.  The right thing to do and all.  You should be able to pay the $300 for that with half of your first gig.  But $99 dollars will get you in the door with a home license.  You will also need a driver for the RMX, available from the Hercules website.
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »

Hi gents,

So I've found something I like the looks of online - Numark N4. The controller surface seems fairly straightforward (some have a ridiculous number of buttons), and it comes with Serato Intro, which I think will work fine for me.

XLR outputs are good to have (though I will be routing everything through a QSC TM16), and the price is right, too.

Just thought I'd check here and make sure I wouldn't be making a big mistake by picking this up - thoughts welcome.

Cheers, all.
Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Lee Douglas

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 06:46:34 PM »

Amazon show that at just under 1K.  Other sites are up to $1500.  Not exactly dipping your toe in the waters at that price point!  What steered you in that direction?  I do like the XLRs!
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 06:58:03 PM »

Amazon show that at just under 1K.  Other sites are up to $1500.  Not exactly dipping your toe in the waters at that price point!  What steered you in that direction?  I do like the XLRs!

Found one on the usual auction site for sensible money. Light use, all cables and accessories (including a little plastic screen that sits on the surface and re-labels the buttons for use with Serato) and Serato Intro on disc.

The prices you're reporting are much higher than the price I've found it for, so I'm going to double-check things before proceeding.

I found that unit after scrolling through the list of compatible products on the Serato website, and found the N4, which looks clean and straightforward (more like an analogue mixing desk) in comparison to some that look futuristic and cool, but don't look particularly intuitive.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 03:17:29 AM »

The Numark N4 I found is on its way. Right now I'm watching all the videos I can find so I can jump right in.

Cheers, all.
Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 07:34:55 AM »

It's arrived, and "jumping in" isn't happening.
I've got it playing music, and all the controls etc work just fine.

The problem is that there's gonna be a pretty serious learning curve. Transitioning well between two tracks is entirely luck at this point.

Practice, practice, practice...

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Lyle Williams

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 07:27:52 PM »

Depending on the crowd, blending tracks may or may not matter at all.

Great lights (not the same look all night, stuff that changes and moves with the feel of the room) and bass first.

Reading to mood and picking the tracks that will pump things higher and higher.

Then the seamless transitions...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 07:27:52 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.