Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Suggestions to replace Blizzard Q12 now discontinued.

(1/3) > >>

Debbie Dunkley:
Although I own quite a few of the inexpensive generic 7x10w  pars that have been discussed here a few times, I also own 8 x Blizzard Q12's. I use them when I need a bit more light (12 x10w each) or when I only need one tree- as this gives plenty of light in a small bar.

One of the blizzards has been a bit flickery since new but was never an issue so it didn't bother me. However, it has become worse and I have removed it from the lighting tree. It is the DMX function that is unstable - auto programs are fine.
Anyway....these have been discontinued for  a while now - I have found couple of resources online but they are charging what I paid 3 -1/2 years ago and of course this is old stock so I won't be replacing with same.
So, I don't see any lamps brighter than the 7x10w generics out there with similar function unless I want to pay a lot of money.
I have replaced the bad fixture with one of my 7x10w generics and it's not the worse thing in the world to keep it that way - looks a little odd but so would anything that isn't a Q12 I suppose but I'd prefer to replace it with one of the same brightness.
So has anyone come across a well priced fixture that would compare to the Blizzards ?

Steve Garris:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on April 30, 2018, 11:38:16 AM ---Although I own quite a few of the inexpensive generic 7x10w  pars that have been discussed here a few times, I also own 8 x Blizzard Q12's. I use them when I need a bit more light (12 x10w each) or when I only need one tree- as this gives plenty of light in a small bar.

One of the blizzards has been a bit flickery since new but was never an issue so it didn't bother me. However, it has become worse and I have removed it from the lighting tree. It is the DMX function that is unstable - auto programs are fine.
Anyway....these have been discontinued for  a while now - I have found couple of resources online but they are charging what I paid 3 -1/2 years ago and of course this is old stock so I won't be replacing with same.
So, I don't see any lamps brighter than the 7x10w generics out there with similar function unless I want to pay a lot of money.
I have replaced the bad fixture with one of my 7x10w generics and it's not the worse thing in the world to keep it that way - looks a little odd but so would anything that isn't a Q12 I suppose but I'd prefer to replace it with one of the same brightness.
So has anyone come across a well priced fixture that would compare to the Blizzards ?

--- End quote ---

That is a big light with a very specific led arrangement. Are yours W or A? Here's a similar looking Chinese light with RBGW:http://www.pssl.com/ColorKey-WaferPar-QUAD-W-12-Mk2-12x-RGBW-LED-Wash-1

Debbie Dunkley:

--- Quote from: Steve Garris on April 30, 2018, 12:48:12 PM ---That is a big light with a very specific led arrangement. Are yours W or A? Here's a similar looking Chinese light with RBGW:http://www.pssl.com/ColorKey-WaferPar-QUAD-W-12-Mk2-12x-RGBW-LED-Wash-1

--- End quote ---

I was looking at that one too this morning. Decent pricing - might be worth a shot. The weight is up there due to the metal casing - about the same as the Blizzards. Mine are RGBW so I could get a couple of these to try.

Debbie Dunkley:
So I ordered a couple of the  Color Keys and I'll report back on them.
My main concern is smooth dimming. One thing I have never liked about the Blizzards is that they are very jerky on dimming - yet my cheap Chinese 7x10w fixtures are quite smooth compared.  So it would be nice if these do the same. Other than that as long as they respond to DMX the way they should, and seem well made, I'll be happy....And if I really like them, I'll grab some more as money allows.
The only reason I haven't replaced the Blizzards is because I paid so much for them. They are quite heavy duty and much more suitable for road use than the plastic Chinese ones but I don't think I'd spend a lot of money on lights going forward now there are so many inexpensive fixtures available. I am so careful with my gear so I can afford to risk cheaper build quality on these - and if one goes down, the replacement cost is so much less than the more expensive brands.

Anyway - I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.

Mike Pyle:
I still have some Q12W on the shelf if anybody needs a few.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version