ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solo Bus to Matrix on Midas Pro2  (Read 5271 times)

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Solo Bus to Matrix on Midas Pro2
« on: April 28, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »

This could apply for any of the Pro series really, but specifically looking at the Pro2/Pro2C...

Short of a physical patch from the Monitor Output to an input channel, is there any way to take the Monitor Out and route it into a Matrix?  Can it be done by soft patching the monitor out to the Direct Input on the Matrix without overriding everything else that's feeding the matrix?

The goal is for the MON console to have a matrix out drive the cue output, and all the stage squawk mics show up at all times in said cue out.  So even if nothing is solo'd, squawk mics still get heard.  Done it on Avid, done it on DiGiCo, never tried it on a Midas. 

Jeff Pitt

Re: Solo Bus to Matrix on Midas Pro2
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 03:03:04 PM »

We send all squawk mics out an aux, then assign that into the "AFL Direct Input Left & Right" as well as the "PFL Direct Input Left and Right," and the "External Input L & R."  THEN on Monitor A IO ....patch those to your physical cue pack. In the monitor section, the PFL Level, AFL Level, and Talk Back become your level to the send. 

Brian Bolly

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 02:18:10 AM »

We send all squawk mics out an aux, then assign that into the "AFL Direct Input Left & Right" as well as the "PFL Direct Input Left and Right," and the "External Input L & R."  THEN on Monitor A IO ....patch those to your physical cue pack. In the monitor section, the PFL Level, AFL Level, and Talk Back become your level to the send.

Thanks Jeff, I think this is what I was looking for.

So since you've patched your squawk buss to those 3 (AFL Direct In, PFL Direct In and External In), do you still get the squawk signal even if you have nothing cue'd up?

Jeff Pitt

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »

We buss the squawk signal to a small anchor box that is always live with the signal.  As for the IEM cue pack, our monitor engineer said, he couldn't recall if it's hot in the cue pack as he's always cue'd up on a mix.  We're not gigging today, so I'll check it out tomorrow. 

Thanks Jeff, I think this is what I was looking for.

So since you've patched your squawk buss to those 3 (AFL Direct In, PFL Direct In and External In), do you still get the squawk signal even if you have nothing cue'd up?

Casjan Berends

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 05:59:35 AM »

Downside of this approach, is that you're eating up matrix busses, off which there aren't a lot of to begin with...

My solution has always been to insert a Matrix Mixer in the FX-Rack. To this matrix you can route 8 sources (in my case: PFL IEM L, PFL IEM R, PFL Wedge, Shout FOH, 4x Squawk Mic), and route them to 8 outputs (PFL IEM L, PFL IEM R, PFL Wedge). Mix the levels to taste :-)

If you need to have more comms in there, you can insert a second matrix mixer in the rack and daisychain them, or use an aux- or matrixbus as a comms-bus.

This way, Comms remain in your ears all the time, even when you have pulled down the solo-fader. Meanwhile, on a Pro2, I still have 24-busses left.

Hope this helps!

PS: For bonus points, if you can spare a bus for communication: Route your Solo bus through a channel before going to the Matrix Mixer. On this channel, activate the ducker, and use the comms bus as a source for the ducker's sidechain. This way, when one of the squawk mics is used, your solo level will be ducked.....

Casjan Berends

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 06:02:46 AM »

PS: For bonus points, if you can spare a bus for communication: Route your Solo bus through a channel before going to the Matrix Mixer. On this channel, activate the ducker, and use the comms bus as a source for the ducker's sidechain. This way, when one of the squawk mics is used, your solo level will be ducked.....

Just remembered; you don't need to sacrifice a bus for this last approuch, just use a second Matrix Mixer for all squawk mics and route its output to a channel! That channel will be the sidechain source!

Jeff Pitt

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on the alternative method.  We may check this out too.

Downside of this approach, is that you're eating up matrix busses, off which there aren't a lot of to begin with...

My solution has always been to insert a Matrix Mixer in the FX-Rack. To this matrix you can route 8 sources (in my case: PFL IEM L, PFL IEM R, PFL Wedge, Shout FOH, 4x Squawk Mic), and route them to 8 outputs (PFL IEM L, PFL IEM R, PFL Wedge). Mix the levels to taste :-)

If you need to have more comms in there, you can insert a second matrix mixer in the rack and daisychain them, or use an aux- or matrixbus as a comms-bus.

This way, Comms remain in your ears all the time, even when you have pulled down the solo-fader. Meanwhile, on a Pro2, I still have 24-busses left.

Hope this helps!

Brian Bolly

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 01:58:47 AM »

THIS!  Thank you Casjan.  This is exactly what I was looking to do.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 01:58:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.