ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone every used Full Range Speakers as a Subwoofer?  (Read 4775 times)

Mike Henderson

Re: Has anyone every used Full Range Speakers as a Subwoofer?
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 10:07:07 AM »

I would be looking into why the sub is not working before these speakers meet the same fate.

It is the cabinet's Speakon connector which is the issue. I will wait on my sound system bud to come across to fix it and at the same time we will look into the possibility of using the EV Full Range as subs.

I tested again and I am getting the same bass now everywhere in the room with the EV's having them at the back wall and facing them towards the side wall.

Mike Henderson

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 09:26:17 AM »

It is the cabinet's Speakon connector which is the issue. I will wait on my sound system bud to come across to fix it and at the same time we will look into the possibility of using the EV Full Range as subs.

I tested again and I am getting the same bass now everywhere in the room with the EV's having them at the back wall and facing them towards the side wall.

One last thing on this speaker facing the side walls issue guys. Please see attached pic of the back wall of my Garage. I am thinking of trying the EAW sb1000 sub in the same position but right now those are the EV's showing on the bottom of the pic facing sideways between the 2 storage shelves. As you can see there is some space like maybe 10" on each side facing the shelves. Now if I were to place the EAW sub in that same way there would hardly be any free space on either side so might this be safe please?

https://i.postimg.cc/tgHPHHZq/IMG-2777.jpg

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 04:55:53 PM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you aren't really hitting the volume levels where a true concert sub (SB1000) is actually needed, AND you are likely listening to music that doesn't need super low frequency response. Rock, country, pop, etc all peters out below 60hz pretty quick.

The reason the Humiliator sounds louder is because it is. It is a DJ cabinet and as such has a bump in the response right around where you'd want it for pop music. This makes them sound better than other speakers when you listen to them at Guitar Center. It is also useful if, say, you're a wedding DJ and use a pair of these and no subs. That would be plenty adaquate.

The Humiliators are also quite a bit more efficient than the big, long throw, giant magnet sub drivers in the SB1000. So they'll be noticably louder at 100 watts than the SB. The difference in the two is that the SB1000 could take 2000 watts, properly processed and limited all night long at a rap concert and not break a sweat. The humiliators would be a smoking pile of ash if you asked that of them.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Henderson

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 06:37:14 PM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you aren't really hitting the volume levels where a true concert sub (SB1000) is actually needed, AND you are likely listening to music that doesn't need super low frequency response. Rock, country, pop, etc all peters out below 60hz pretty quick.

The reason the Humiliator sounds louder is because it is. It is a DJ cabinet and as such has a bump in the response right around where you'd want it for pop music. This makes them sound better than other speakers when you listen to them at Guitar Center. It is also useful if, say, you're a wedding DJ and use a pair of these and no subs. That would be plenty adaquate.

The Humiliators are also quite a bit more efficient than the big, long throw, giant magnet sub drivers in the SB1000. So they'll be noticably louder at 100 watts than the SB. The difference in the two is that the SB1000 could take 2000 watts, properly processed and limited all night long at a rap concert and not break a sweat. The humiliators would be a smoking pile of ash if you asked that of them.

That's a good explanation, thanks!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 07:19:31 PM »

That's a good explanation, thanks!

No prob.

More than a decade ago I worked at a big university. We had ancient Altec Lansing A5 clusters left, center, and right. It was 4 15" drivers in each cluster and since we hardly ever used the center I used to low pass it just to give me that extra little bit of thump for those shows where I didn't really need to roll out the subs and amps. It worked great, but you need to know the limitations of the gear and work within that.

That's also the place where we named our pair of Eliminators the "Humiliators". It was appropriate at the time. Still is probably.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 07:19:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.