ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob with some system questions.  (Read 8519 times)

Jim Lambrecht

Noob with some system questions.
« on: April 27, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »

I am a rookie looking to buy a system that will be used strictly for home parties and used at a private club,you know big family and lots of friends types of events. I have narrowed it down two systems that are for sale locally. The first is owned,and this is no joke,by an elderly couple in their late 70's who in retirement do karaoke gigs at some of the local bars in a small town here in NC. They have a pair of Peavy 115TRS speakers with a Samson XM910 mixer/amp combo with cables but no stands. Everything is in excellent shape and the only reason they are selling them is because of the weight of the gear. The second set up again owned by elderly folks, the husband passed away and the widow is getting rid of some of his stuff, was used in a home recording studio. It consists of a pair of JBL SF15 speakers with Musika Ultimate stands, Gig Rack 600 mixer/amp, and all cables. And this stuff is also in excellent shape. So I guess my question for the experts is the better which set up? Price wise they are about the same. And like I said before this is for personal use only. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Noob with some system questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,234.msg818.html#msg818
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »

I am a rookie looking to buy a system that will be used strictly for home parties and used at a private club,you know big family and lots of friends types of events. \

I have narrowed it down two systems that are for sale locally. The first is owned,and this is no joke,by an elderly couple in their late 70's who in retirement do karaoke gigs at some of the local bars in a small town here in NC.

They have a pair of Peavy 115TRS speakers with a Samson XM910 mixer/amp combo with cables but no stands. Everything is in excellent shape and the only reason they are selling them is because of the weight of the gear.

The second set up again owned by elderly folks, the husband passed away and the widow is getting rid of some of his stuff, was used in a home recording studio. It consists of a pair of JBL SF15 speakers with Musika Ultimate stands, Gig Rack 600 mixer/amp, and all cables. And this stuff is also in excellent shape.

So I guess my question for the experts is the better which set up?
Price wise they are about the same.

And like I said before this is for personal use only. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Budget/cost of systems?

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jim Lambrecht

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »

The Peavy/Samson they are asking $550 and the JBL set up she wants $500 I would like to keep the cost in the $700- $500 range.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »

The Peavy/Samson they are asking $550 and the JBL set up she wants $500 I would like to keep the cost in the $700- $500 range.

You need to take that $700 and stretch it to about 1k.  The Peavey's are OK at best.  SF's are 20 years old and was JBL's very low end product.

$1000 if you show hard will get you a decent set of powered speakers.  That is the modern way to go.

No 12" on top will  have decent LF extension.  At some point you are going to want a subwoofer.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »

I was leery of speaking about the systems you're looking into as I've never heard/used them.

But to tag onto what Scott is saying. If you could get into some Yamaha DBR or DXR range you're going to be really happy and they will come with a warranty and you'll have some re-sell value.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 05:15:51 PM »

Hi Jim, I agree with Scott and Nathan - you're not going to find much love for either system here.  It'd be one thing if you could get this for $200 (and understand the limitations of each system), but for $5-700 range you might as well just spend a little bit more and get a quality product.  The difference in sound quality alone would be pronounced, and in this business $300 is nothing.  I'd just vote to do it right the first time and be happy!  Good luck!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 10:11:43 PM »

To echo the others, the common wisdom here is "buy once, cry once."   My signature line (below) is another expression of the same principle.  Welcome, and best wishes.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 11:15:45 PM »

If all I had to spend is $700, I would buy one decent speaker and save up for another one. Mono decent sound is better than stereo shit.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 11:15:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.