ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Line array for home theatre.  (Read 3175 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Line array for home theatre.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »

I suppose those Shure Vocalmasters aren't line arrays either.  ;)
Now a real question, the Wikipedia says that the Grateful Dead Wall of Sound is.
I have an old vocal master brochure in which they talk about the narrowing of the vertical pattern-due to the stacked drivers.

The problem is that this only happens at the lower freq, down to a certain point at which it falls apart.  So it depends on the freq.

As you go up in freq, the drivers are to large, and act more as independent radiators.  At least they used the smaller 8" ones in the middle and the larger 10" ones on the top/bottom.

The "concept" was there, but no implemented real good.  But you also have to look at the time period.  But Olson described line array behavior and the resultant lobing a couple of decades before.

But there is no xover, so every driver gets a full range signal.

The Deads system had some aspects of a line, but only certain cabinets at certain freq.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 01:24:30 AM »

Having spent many years with Magnapans, in a home environment with low ceilings and a small fixed listening area you do benefit from the reduced HF dispersion.  Less early reflections off the floor and ceiling.  The situation is entirely different than SR.

I'm not sure about a bunch of cheap speakers thrown into into a box but transducer technology has jumped by leaps and bounds in the last 10 years.  What with all the computer modeling designers can do and modern manufacturing techniques.  I am constantly amazed by the amount of sound the Google Homes put out.  When I first saw the mechanical layouts I thought it was a joke.  Here I was working on the PCBs and thermal management of way more power than a 2" speaker should need.  Then I heard one.  These young kids with PhD's in acoustics can do things I thought were impossible.  Think about how much sound comes out of a phone or iPad.  You'd need a 5" speaker to do that when I first started playing around with stuff.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 08:00:36 AM »

Having spent many years with Magnapans, in a home environment with low ceilings and a small fixed listening area you do benefit from the reduced HF dispersion.  Less early reflections off the floor and ceiling.  The situation is entirely different than SR.

The big difference with the Magnaplanes is that it is a single element that acts as thousands of elements that are space infinitely close together.  They are not separate drivers each radiating its own sound field  So it acts as a single source in terms of radiation pattern (with the narrowing of the vertical pattern), so you don't have the interference of different drivers.

They do sound quite nice and work as intended.

The ribbon idea is the "perfect" line source.  But they have problems getting loud enough or going low enough for large scale usage.

It is the physical spacing of the drivers that causes the problem in line arrays.

While it is possible to get a single box to behave properly, the problem starts when you add more boxes.  It is simply more individual sources.

If a line array as made of up say 16 different boxes, each one producing a part of the waveform, with enough pattern control to not affect the others, you would have something.

But now, you do not have 1 box model # in inventory, you have 16, that MUST be put together in a specific way to have a system. And you can't vary that arrangement, or the coverage will suffer.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:03:16 AM by Ivan Beaver »
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 02:54:11 AM »

looks like an old Polk woofer column

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 10:22:26 AM »

There is a great history of designs by Don B. Keele.

His name and reputation speaks for itself.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:39:12 PM by Stu McDoniel »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 11:44:38 AM »

There is a great history of designs by Don B. Keele.

He name and reputation speaks for itself.

One of those "if I have seen farther... it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants..."

Keele, Bozak, Klipsch...  Heyser, Davis... There are lots of not-famous-enough engineers/designers/dreamers in our industry.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 11:44:38 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.