ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dance floor light suggestions.  (Read 1961 times)

Joel T. Glaser

Dance floor light suggestions.
« on: April 25, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »

Hi all,

I'm curious what anyone here uses to light up a dance floor. I've been adding to my light show and I'm looking for ideas. Quite a bit of my work comes from area bands. Mostly club work with some outdoor gigs over the summer months. A few wedding/private party type shows throughout the year.

I currently have four movers in the front that see some dance floor activity. Wondering if those dj type party lights might be worth looking into.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

Jerome Malsack

Re: Dance floor light suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 01:17:16 PM »

Depends on the amount of light and the beams.  I have some of the Moons that are hitting the dance floor 100 watt halogens are not enough.  Compared with the 250 watt on the ADJ accu spot 250.  I work Small shows between the Bar Band rig but beneath the larger shows.  4 18 inch subs and tops.   I like to give the dance floor some lighting yes.  Band stage lighting and busy and Dance floor flashing lights yes.    Beams become visible with the haze and I use a hazer on each side of the stage depending on the room vents and where the air moves.  I also have a small cheap fog machine and use a heavy stay on the ground fog to help keep from setting off the fire alarms.  All have DMX control on the effects.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:46:28 PM »

Wondering if those dj type party lights might be worth looking into.

Hi Joel, it depends on what your definition of a DJ party light is.  I happen to have a wide variety of effect lights in my inventory - everything from the classic 80s/90s mushrooms and derbys to modern high-powered effects.  Of all my true effect lights, none see more use than my Martin Mania units, specifically the EFX600s.  They're one of the many variants of the Wizard-type barrel scanner.  The Rush Wizard is Martin's current make of the unit.  Granted I'm very rarely lighting dance floors, but what's nice about these units is their tremendous output, wide variety of effects (both slow and fast), and that they look good with or without fog.  I've never been a fan of the cheap LED "dot" lights, but in the right application they can look okay.  Hope this helps!

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »

This is a very cost-effective fixture that will cover a large area of the dance floor. I use them often in smaller installs where "bang for the buck" and simplicity is important.
http://www.venuesupply.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=6437
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.