ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage stringer recommendations  (Read 8644 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Stage stringer recommendations
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 12:42:54 AM »

The melting point of old fashioned tin lead solder is 183C, the most common lead free SAC305 is 212C.  I've never heard of sufficient current in a consumer electronics device to get to those kinds of temperatures.  A short in a 20+A AC feed could be a different story, I've never tested it.

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2018, 11:33:50 AM »

I went all Whirlwind PowerLink boxes a year + ago and will never go back.  I have maybe 20 boxes now.  A dozen 4ft, 12ft, 25ft powercon cables.  They have been a surprising time saver and stack perfectly in a milk crate (which stacks perfectly in an EWI case) - russian doll.

I recently discovered this quad - its perfect if you do walk-on work at places or just to keep in your bag - https://bit.ly/2I2lTwI

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »

ADJ is expecting delivery on May 8th. I also spoke to Elation and it doesn't look like they will have a version.

Doesn't look as though they've shipped yet:
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 09:46:26 PM »

Anybody looked at an "MPROW" box from eBay? Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2018, 07:35:30 AM »

All,

Thanks again for the OA Windsor suggestion.  Received a 30' stringer from Jim; great quality and build!  He's now on my preferred vendor list.

John Koepke Jr.

• American Canyon, CA.
    • http://www.superiorlightandsound.com
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2018, 04:44:47 PM »

All,

Thanks again for the OA Windsor suggestion.  Received a 30' stringer from Jim; great quality and build!  He's now on my preferred vendor list.

Just to add to this list CBI makes a great Quad enclosure with either Powercon or the PowerCon TRUE1 inputs and outputs on it.  I do also like the whirlwind PL1T-420-BK (the PL1 is PowerCon, PL1T is Powercon True1).

I have been using Powercon True1 for all my stringers and my racks, because they can be attached and removed underload.
"I gotta have more cow bell baby!"

John Koepke Jr.

• American Canyon, CA.
    • http://www.superiorlightandsound.com
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2018, 04:47:12 PM »

I made the boxes myself. The prices of the retail stuff was just ridiculous. I liked the Whirlwind model and wanted a similar design. I sourced the boxes and went to town. I used REAL Neutrik connectors and the plug is a UL listed Leviton model. The wires are 12ga stranded and are tinned and attached to the duplex via the barrier strips. The Neutrik ends are soldered on as I felt it senseless to use the special terminals. The outlet is also wrapped two times around with 3M quality electrical tape to abate potential shorts and the screws coming loose. The grounds are all ganged together and the metal box is grounded. I used stainless steel screws where possible and all screws have locking nuts. The bottom of the box also has rubber feet that are screwed in with the enclosure screws. All wires are ran in such a way that they do not touch anything else and have an air gap around them.

Luke,
I do like the look of these, just curious on how or where you sourced the enclosures?  Did you design them and send them to someone like Ramtech to build the metal boxes for you?
"I gotta have more cow bell baby!"

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 05:26:14 PM »

Yeah. Please advise. There's more than just Luke here that could general advice for building safe power distro.

I would have used stranded wire in this scenario, but I would have just slipped it into the fitting on the powerCON and screwed it down.  I'm honestly confused why anybody would add a spade connector here.

The reason you won't get advice about distro building is *liability*.

Some general guidelines, though:

1 - EVERY wiring device & component should be UL Listed.  Only certain PowerCon models are UL *recognized* See UL page here.  Other such items include lugs and terminals, any crimp connections, metallic enclosure grounding, etc.

2 - Every enclosure should be UL Listed for the purpose you will use it for.  That means pre-punched metal junction boxes are not acceptable in portable use.  Don't forget that cable strain reliefs must be Listed for both the enclosure type and cable type, too; i.e. no Romex® clips.

3 - You need to read and understand chunks of Chapters 2, 3, and 4 of NFPA 70, the "National Electrical Code".  In spite of the name the Code is actually optional - it's a model Code presented to states, cities, counties and other political subdivisions for adoption as they see fit.  Generally most jurisdictions have Code that is equal to or less restrictive than the NEC so compliance with it *usually* means you're good.  Note that Los Angeles has more restrictive Code for public assembly areas, theaters & TV studios, and for portable power (mostly location film/TV shoots but apply most anywhere a real generator is used).  Side bits - NFPA is the National Fire Protection Association, which like UL was created by insurers to minimize loss of life & property (and therefore pay out less in claims).  Various industries are also represented  in these associations for the purpose of creating Codes.

4 - Product liability insurance.  Check into it, because unless you're a Registered Professional Engineer it's unlikely that your business or professional liability insurance covers losses from any *product* you design, create or make.  If there is a loss and your product is even remotely connected to it you're in a very bad place...  It is not necessary for your *product* to be sold or available to the public, only that you created, designed or built it and that it was subsequently implicated in a loss to property, personal injury or death.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »

Hey all - thanks for the suggestions and for mentioning OA Windsor.  Jim made me a couple of 30' cords; great craftsmanship!

Thanks again.

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2018, 12:01:27 PM »

This thread made me want another stringer so I ordered (3) more 3T-D boxes and now have a stringer up/down stage as well as half dozen individual 25’ quads to tag in where needed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2018, 12:01:27 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.