ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage stringer recommendations  (Read 8846 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Stage stringer recommendations
« on: April 25, 2018, 07:53:49 AM »

Searched the forum looking for recommendations on stage stringers; not much returned for recommendations; what I did find for recommendations was in 2009.

I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions on stage stringers (Edison 15/20 amp receptacles only).  I could build my own, but I simply do not have the time (and sometimes the patience). 

Looked at KH Industries and "stayonline", these look great, but I'm not sure the level of quality (have not touched nor used them).  I'm confident I need SOOW rated wire, but from there, that's about all I know; receptacle & box quality is important (maybe not hospital grade, but definitely not cheapest either).

Single phase power only.

Anyone use "stayonline" stringers?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:02:17 AM by Bob Faulkner »

Matthias McCready

Re: Stage stringer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:35:47 AM »

I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions on stage stringers (Edison 15/20 amp receptacles only).  I could build my own, but I simply do not have the time (and sometimes the patience). 

I am using OA Windsor powercon quadboxes, the quality is great. I built a plethora of SOOW cables, which were a pain (a little thick for easily putting the powercon connectors on).

I have had excellent results for cables built both by EMG and BTPA.

Check here for another forum thread.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:42:46 AM by Matthias McCready »
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:39:50 AM »

We have a hand-me-down stringer built by OA Windsor that has been indestructible.

As of late we've been having all our cable needs built by CBI, who I'm sure would be able to build one to spec at a fair price.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »

Me thinks we should have this moved to AC and Power ? 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »

Me thinks we should have this moved to AC and Power ?

Maybe... but this is also a general interest topic.  If it gets into the minutia of stringer construction it will probably get moved.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 01:39:48 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Out of curiosity, I checked "stayonline" for what they can build (all appear to be custom); for 30' and 3 x duplex receptacles, the cost was $350.00  Wow! 

Yes - I thought about starting this in the AC/power section, but was looking for suggestions of manufactures, rather than the technical side of it.

Thanks.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 02:02:52 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Out of curiosity, I checked "stayonline" for what they can build (all appear to be custom); for 30' and 3 x duplex receptacles, the cost was $350.00  Wow! 

Yes - I thought about starting this in the AC/power section, but was looking for suggestions of manufactures, rather than the technical side of it.

Thanks.

I didn't check Stayonline but OA Windsor ain't cheap, either.  Our Windsor stringers that have been flawless since Day 1.  The main upstage stringer was probably $600 or more by the time we were done but it's required zero maintenance other than checking terminal screws on the L21-30 once a year.

Depending on your aesthetic sensitivity the cheap and dirty way is one of these:

http://www.thetapeworks.com/tape/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_128&products_id=448

And tri-tap outlets for the single outlets on the stringer:

https://www.amazon.com/Watson-Tri-Tap-Power-Adapter-Black/dp/B00NLPOD4U

Or some variation on that theme...

All of the stuff is UL-listed and the stringer is STW (no "J" in the designation) so it's Code compliant.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »

I have 2 50’ 8 outlet contractors extensions I use.  One is black that was a hand me down.  The other is Orange and grey from Home Depot’s Rigid brand.  Cost effective. My stages have been code examined a couple of times and nobody has called me out on them. 

I built a bunch of short tailed quad boxes that I scatter off them.  Needless to say, the orange and grey one is generally back line ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »

We use OA Windsor boxes (I think we have around 16 of them now), connected by various lengths of 12/3 SOOW with PowerCon ends. Then we have a number of "feeder" cables that have an Edison on one end and PowerCon on the other, again, all in various lengths. Works really slick and everyone loves them.

That said, we were at a show in Chicago a few weekends ago, and partnered with another sound company. They provided PA duties for speaking sessions during the day, and we did live sound production at night (same stage/room).

They had these multiple outlet extension cords that were really pretty nice. I'm thinking about grabbing a few for our smaller indoor gigs:

https://www.badassextensioncords.com/multi-outlet-cords

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »

We use OA Windsor boxes (I think we have around 16 of them now), connected by various lengths of 12/3 SOOW with PowerCon ends. Then we have a number of "feeder" cables that have an Edison on one end and PowerCon on the other, again, all in various lengths. Works really slick and everyone loves them.

That said, we were at a show in Chicago a few weekends ago, and partnered with another sound company. They provided PA duties for speaking sessions during the day, and we did live sound production at night (same stage/room).

They had these multiple outlet extension cords that were really pretty nice. I'm thinking about grabbing a few for our smaller indoor gigs:

https://www.badassextensioncords.com/multi-outlet-cords

After having all SOOW feeders I can't deal with any plastic jacketed cable.  It never rolls right, never lyes down correctly and it just feels cheap and consumer grade.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.