ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing the angle of a PRX612m.  (Read 2287 times)

John Roll

Changing the angle of a PRX612m.
« on: April 24, 2018, 07:18:16 PM »

Looking for ideas on how to change the angle of the cabinet for nearfield use. Looking for something that will maintain the angle and not slide out from under the cab during use. I was thinking of a rubber doorstop or something like a wheel chock but smaller. Suggestions?

Thanks,
John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Changing the angle of a PRX612m.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:39:32 PM »

Up right or on its side?
If on its side, you can cut a couple of 2x4s with an arc, place the speaker in the arc, and rotate the speaker as needed.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:11:13 PM »

I used 2x4 scrap and some rubber runner material cut to fit, top and bottom.  Worked fine
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 01:47:06 PM »

I don't have any suggestions better than what has already been offered, but can we please take a second to ponder why they would have designed the angle so shallow? Seems like someone just picked an arbitrary angle or one that was convenient for design purposes without taking application in to consideration whatsoever.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »

I don't have any suggestions better than what has already been offered, but can we please take a second to ponder why they would have designed the angle so shallow? Seems like someone just picked an arbitrary angle or one that was convenient for design purposes without taking application in to consideration whatsoever.

My guess is at least one the angles was dictated by a target internal cabinet volume.

One of the most highly regarded wedges of all time, the Clair 12AM, had a great angle for 1998... but every Clair gak box had "adjusters" to get the box angle where the performer wanted it.

The Radial & EAW versions of the MicroWedge are built to be at the base of a mic stand.

I'd suggest that these decisions are not arbitrarily made.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 02:42:52 PM »

My guess is at least one the angles was dictated by a target internal cabinet volume.
I'd suggest that these decisions are not arbitrarily made.

Arbitrary was perhaps the wrong word. I completely understand there is always a compromise made somewhere in a design to tick as many objective boxes as possible. Internal cabinet volume is a good hypothesis in this case.

The few times I've used the PRX612M I have just been so impressed with how unusable that angle is for most of the situations a cabinet of that level is used.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 02:51:46 PM »

Arbitrary was perhaps the wrong word. I completely understand there is always a compromise made somewhere in a design to tick as many objective boxes as possible. Internal cabinet volume is a good hypothesis in this case.

The few times I've used the PRX612M I have just been so impressed with how unusable that angle is for most of the situations a cabinet of that level is used.

Ideal, it is not. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 02:55:02 PM »

But yet perfect in some setups.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »

But yet perfect in some setups.

And that's why people hire professionals like us, to make it work in any situation.  ;)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 04:33:15 PM »

Looking for ideas on how to change the angle of the cabinet for nearfield use. Looking for something that will maintain the angle and not slide out from under the cab during use. I was thinking of a rubber doorstop or something like a wheel chock but smaller. Suggestions?

Thanks,
John

I use industrial door stops for my ELX112Ps which have the same issue. They work great.

Here's link but I know I didn't pay that much for them:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018ORDFIY/ref=dp_prsubs_2
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Steve Garris

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 04:44:09 PM »

I use these small, rubber wheel chocks with my Ber B212 monitors when used.

This is from my Amazon purchased list:

https://goo.gl/JULRMY

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 10:26:56 PM »

I use these small, rubber wheel chocks with my Ber B212 monitors when used.

This is from my Amazon purchased list:

https://goo.gl/JULRMY

I used wheel chocks from Harbor Freight when I was using the 612M's as monitors (I'm using 712's now, no angle issues). The wheel chocks are also great to prop open doors to get in an out of a venue, and keep my trailer from rocking as well. Multi-purpose wonders.

Wes Garland

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 09:02:53 AM »

I have scrap 6" lengths of 1x4 and 2x4 in my box of crap that I use for fixing problems like this.  Paint the wood black, and then wrap it like a present with kitchen cupboard liner. Use a staple gun to hold the liner in place.  The cupboard liner is like tool tray liner, but thinner.  It provides grip and a pro look.

Jeff Dine

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 12:27:17 PM »

I've seen long bolts in fly points used.   Fair warning,  the fly points can get pushed into the box if, hypothetically mind you,  someone were to put a lot of weight on them.   Say,  for example,  the weight of a lead singer.

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 03:44:10 PM »

I've seen long bolts in fly points used.   Fair warning,  the fly points can get pushed into the box if, hypothetically mind you,  someone were to put a lot of weight on them.   Say,  for example,  the weight of a lead singer.

I've been looking into a building a cradle and using the fly points so that the cradle never separates from the cabinet.  I'm still in the thought stage as in I haven't put any real thought into it yet.  Biggest concern is setup and tear down time.  I already have full covers and have no intention of buying new large covers that could fit the cradle so that would mean attaching and removing the cradle at every gig.

Wes Garland

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 10:01:47 PM »

Buy some black milk crates.  Cut them to have the correct cradle shape.  Use them to store cables and whatnot for load in/out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 10:01:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.