ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multipin Solution for stage snakes, Whirlwind W1 or ?  (Read 7642 times)

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: Multipin Solution for stage snakes, Whirlwind W1 or ?
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »

All my multipin stage snakes are W1. I have a Patchmaster in one rack, but also several fantails for other situations. I have 5 fans that are the same colors as the patchmaster and 5 matching colored boxes, plus another couple fans and boxes. I'm pretty well covered.

In my area, all the audio guys have W1's and the broadcasters have DT12, so I figured I should choose between those. DT12's are super durable, but they're also huge and I didn't want to deal with the size. I've built and used a lot of CPC's over the years and I knew I didn't want to go that route based on direct experience. CPC's just don't hold up, even with Ramtech shells and rings. LK37's are great, but absolutely nobody around here has them, and I've hardly seen any of them over the years. I haven't seen too many sound companies use DT12's, but there are a few out there. So I chose W1, and I don't regret it at all.

I prefer the Patchmaster to others because it's 1RU. You can squeeze CPC's into 1RU with just a little overlap from the ring, but otherwise I think Whirlwind is the only choice for a 1RU size connector. I was a little hesitant to go with W1's based on what people said about durability, but I realized I'd been using other companies W1's for years and never really had issues. True, W1's are a bit of a pain to work on, but they're really not that bad and they don't need work all that often. Mine have held up very well, as have others that I know of around here. It's also nice to know that when I take another company's rig out that my snakes will plug right in, or in the unlikely event that I need more cable for a show that I have several local sources for it.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

John P. Farrell

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 09:08:48 PM »

I've got a custom Whirlwind split/patchmaster on tour currently.  The W1's are solid, although the endcaps like to stray from their mates during transport.  I wish I'd had them build a 2 space patchmaster to allow a little more room to make the mult connections.

I had the fanouts terminated to dual W2's (since I only needed 40 CH) as I felt it was a far superior connector than the MASS.  The Whirlwind custom shop agreed. 

I've also had good luck with the metal AMP/CP12.  DT12 are indestructible but super heavy and bulky.  To me the W1/W2 combo was a good balance of durability and size/weight.

JF

FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Trevor Ludwig

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »

I am planning to upgrade my stage subsnakes (12ch) to a multipin system such as the Whirlwind Patchmaster 60. What I like about it is that it takes up only 1RU. However, my concern is the W1's. From what I've read, they are solder only contacts that are a PIA to work on. I currently use and am tooled up to build Elco's. We treat these with care and have had very few issues. I don't want to test our good fortune for much longer! Are there any products similar to the Patchmaster 60 on the market that might use different multipin connectors?

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/snakes-splitters-and-multiwiring-systems/patch-master/patchmaster

If I could go back and buy my choice of multipin knowing what I know now, I'd go with Ramtech, if that helps your decision at all.
Trevor Ludwig

John Penkala

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 10:59:36 PM »

I am planning to upgrade my stage subsnakes (12ch) to a multipin system such as the Whirlwind Patchmaster 60. What I like about it is that it takes up only 1RU. However, my concern is the W1's. From what I've read, they are solder only contacts that are a PIA to work on. I currently use and am tooled up to build Elco's. We treat these with care and have had very few issues. I don't want to test our good fortune for much longer! Are there any products similar to the Patchmaster 60 on the market that might use different multipin connectors?

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/snakes-splitters-and-multiwiring-systems/patch-master/patchmaster

Thanks everyone for your input. For a few good reasons I ended up going the W1 route. They went together easily. However, at first they were very hard to mate and even harder to separate. Using 3&1 dry lock lube saved the day. I used it on the collar rings, not on the pins. I can't believe I didn't learn of this stuff sooner. This stuff works great!

https://www.3inone.com/products/lock-dry-lube/?gclid=CjwKCAjwhevaBRApEiwA7aT536Q0Fflt-PoxGotpU7jfpFCEc-K97YnnfWsGb8C02YVFYyY55GALDhoCUscQAvD_BwE

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 10:59:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.