ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem running Obey40 with FCB1010  (Read 2991 times)

Michael Porter

Problem running Obey40 with FCB1010
« on: April 24, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »

I'm getting desperate.  I've started building a lighting setup for our band, that's being run from the stage (or on larger gigs, from a lighting person).  Right now, it's made from 12 LED lights on 8 fixtures (leaving room for FX lighting to come).

But I'm fighting a communication issue right now between the FCB1010 (A Behringer MIDI-pedal) and the Chauvet Obey 40 (a lighting controller.  For some reason I can't fathom, the protocol for lights is that the controller accepts only MIDI Note On commands (instead of something sensible like Program Change) to trigger scenes.

I can program the scenes I need on the Obey40. I can progam the FCB1010 to shoot out Note On commands to change scenes. What I CANNOT seem to do is to STOP the FCB1010 from putting out a Note Off command when I take my foot off the pedal! Either that, or get the Obey40 to ignore the Note Off command! The result is that when I step on a pedal, the Obey40 responds with the correct scene. When I take my foot off the pedal, all the lights go out! "Blackout" on the Obey40 is not being called, since the Blackout LED on the Obey40 display is not turned on, but it has the same effect.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on, and how I can fix this?  So far, Behringer and Chauvet have been no help (Chauvet thought "velocity" was the speed of transmission on the MIDI buss!).  It's working, as long as I leave my foot on the pedal, but that of course is very useless on a stage performance.  I've done MIDI programming in the past, and I'm an electronic tech, but this one has me befuddled.  I inhereted most of this, and knew the FCB1010 could output MIDI Note On, so I thought this was possible.  All I wish to do at this time is change scenes; what am I missing?
If it's you or me... it won't be me.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »

I'm getting desperate.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Michael Porter

Re: Problem running Obey40 with FCB1010
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »

I'm getting desperate.  I've started building a lighting setup for our band, that's being run from the stage (or on larger gigs, from a lighting person).  Right now, it's made from 12 LED lights on 8 fixtures (leaving room for FX lighting to come).

But I'm fighting a communication issue right now between the FCB1010 (A Behringer MIDI-pedal) and the Chauvet Obey 40 (a lighting controller.  For some reason I can't fathom, the protocol for lights is that the controller accepts only MIDI Note On commands (instead of something sensible like Program Change) to trigger scenes.

I can program the scenes I need on the Obey40. I can progam the FCB1010 to shoot out Note On commands to change scenes. What I CANNOT seem to do is to STOP the FCB1010 from putting out a Note Off command when I take my foot off the pedal! Either that, or get the Obey40 to ignore the Note Off command! The result is that when I step on a pedal, the Obey40 responds with the correct scene. When I take my foot off the pedal, all the lights go out! "Blackout" on the Obey40 is not being called, since the Blackout LED on the Obey40 display is not turned on, but it has the same effect.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on, and how I can fix this?  So far, Behringer and Chauvet have been no help (Chauvet thought "velocity" was the speed of transmission on the MIDI buss!).  It's working, as long as I leave my foot on the pedal, but that of course is very useless on a stage performance.  I've done MIDI programming in the past, and I'm an electronic tech, but this one has me befuddled.  I inhereted most of this, and knew the FCB1010 could output MIDI Note On, so I thought this was possible.  All I wish to do at this time is change scenes; what am I missing?

The only idea that's been tossed at me so far is to get the UnO Rom chip and install it, to take it out of Behringer's tap tempo mode.

Allen Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:13:52 AM »

I used the Obey40 and FCB1010 together until just a few weeks ago and it was excellent.  I am still using the FCB but now with Luminair although I still use it in Midi Note mode.  I have it set so that i press the pedal and it changed to the scene I wanted.  I have not modded the pedal board in any way.  I did not have to hold it down and if I inadvertantly hit the same pedal it did not turn it off.  Unfortunately my FCB is in a trailer and not available to me and honestly I have to research the settings every time I program it.  I like you was a complete MIDI novice when I programmed it last year and it was a challenge at first.

My suspicion is that the statement 'I inherited most of this' is the issue.  I would reset the pedal board to the default settings.  There is a stomp box mode that might be the issue so make sure that is off.  That setting is in the master settings.

I have a cheat sheet PDF saved in my ipad but I do not have my iPad at home either.  I can only confirm at the moment that what you are trying to do is not only possible but it works great.

I am extremely busy the next couple days but if no one posts a solution I will try to post a link to the cheat sheet I use.  Dont give up its a great combo.

Allen Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:29:32 AM »

I did a little research.  The modded FCB1010 with the UNO chip has the ability to do momentary switches (midi on with pressing it, midi off with releasing it).  Is this a pedal that may already be modded?

Michael Porter

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »

I did a little research.  The modded FCB1010 with the UNO chip has the ability to do momentary switches (midi on with pressing it, midi off with releasing it).  Is this a pedal that may already be modded?

No.  I've had it apart (I had to solder the switch2 LED in; the solder joint came loose), and it has the original rom rev2.4 in it.

Michael Porter

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 09:45:37 AM »

I like you was a complete MIDI novice when I programmed it last year and it was a challenge at first.

My suspicion is that the statement 'I inherited most of this' is the issue.  I would reset the pedal board to the default settings.  There is a stomp box mode that might be the issue so make sure that is off.  That setting is in the master settings.

I'm not a complete MIDI novice; I use a sequencer program to lay out MIDI tracks to show band members what I have in mind, as far as writing songs goes.  But controlling lighting was definitely new to me.

And you hit the nail right on the head; "inherited" turned out to be the key word.  I reset the Behringer FCB1010 back to factory settings (1-6; there's a couple of different resets, but that's the one I used), and the bloody thing worked like a charm.  Not only does it select scenes correctly, but a second push on an active scene produces blackout.  Plus, the first CC pedal blacks out to a single scene, which I programmed to be the vocalist only for announcements and such.  I haven't messed with the second CC pedal, but I'll figure it out and probably do something like a fade, or chase speed, something like that.

Anyway, thanks.  I never thought much about it when I typed it, but your mention of "inherited" sparked a train of thought that lead to functionality.  Cool.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 09:45:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.