ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Academic Question: Latency and Compression  (Read 4529 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Academic Question: Latency and Compression
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 05:43:36 PM »

If you can keep your mic preamp out of clip, Waves MV2 + L2 would get you pretty close.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 05:44:34 PM »

Wouldn't a delayed signal with a compressor side chain triggered by an undelayed copy of the same signal achieve much of this...?

Now that i'm thinking about it in these terms, maybe?  It's an interesting concept.  It would take some very deft handling of all the various attacks and decays available [since you could have them on both the side chain AND the primary signal].  But this might accomplish much of what i'm looking for.  i.e. a "Negative" attack time...

If what is needed is a variable compression ratio as well, it should be possible to implement this in something like MAX if there exists no of-the-shelf compressor plugins that has this functionality.

https://cycling74.com/products/max/

Gonna dig deeper into this.  thanks...

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 05:46:59 PM »

If you can keep your mic preamp out of clip, Waves MV2 + L2 would get you pretty close.

Yeah, i usually have the dynamic range to deal with the different levels at the input stage thanks to modern electronics design and digital RF/signal paths.  I will look at those Waves plugins.  I'm still a Waves noob, so thanks for the suggestion.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 06:07:28 PM »

Waves Vocal Rider maybe?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:44 PM »

Mr Maddox - I did consider prefacing my answer with "not really an answer to your question" but why break with the tradition of the board?

I'm not a plug in kinda guy but thinking of it in a hardware sort of way ( without the hardware ) leads me to consider looking for a plug-in of some sort of programmable VCA function - a level above X dbm drives instance one to full gain and drives instance two to max attenuation.  VCA instance one feeds a signal chain with the appropriate comp / EQ / what ever to handle loud levels while instance two drives the other appropriate processing.  Absent signal above the threshold the VCA plugs are set to full attenuation on ch one and full gain on ch two.  Output of the mic pre drives a comparator ( plenty of Waves comparator plug-ins lying around right? ) which drives the VCA control point ( I said this was hardware thinking) while the inputs to the VCAs are feed thru what ever delay you can tolerate that still gives the comparator / VCA combo time to wake up and get to work.  Sum the outputs of the signal chain to taste.

No idea on earth whats actually out there to accomplish such gymnastics .

Mr. Casey i picked you at random to reply to, so i'm not singling you out i promise.  :)

For Clarification:  I'm not looking for a trick to accomplish this with existing mixer technology. 

Lyle Williams

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 02:22:03 AM »

In ten years time the video camera built into your mixer will see where the mic is being held and adjust the gain to suit.

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 02:26:22 AM »

In ten years time the video camera built into your mixer will see where the mic is being held and adjust the gain to suit.
Actually, I believe this is well within the reach of already available image recognition tech...

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »

Brian, I missed what you were getting at at first.
An interesting idea that could, technically, be done live but, as you point out, the delay in processing would be an issue.
Got me thinking now..... 8)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:41 AM »

I am in the real academic world. A lot of events are in fixed seating auditoriums and a lot in classrooms with movable furniture.

In the auditoriums I highly recommend a couple of aisle mics that people have to come up to to ask questions. Maybe a single handheld wireless for a person who can't get up for the aisle mic controlled by someone for this only.

No one waits for a handheld to be passed around and of course all the issues of lap holding, etc. 

And in the open classrooms same issue. No one waits for the handheld before shouting out the question. Not to big an issue unless the session is being lecture captured or streamed.

So one of my techs came back from INFocomm with this, the Catch Box. https://getcatchbox.com/. It is a padded cube with a built-in accelerometer that mutes the mic when it is being tossed around. You put your body pack in, connect the built-in mic, they'll do connectors for your manufactures pack. 

Yes it is meant to be thrown around. You can have it printed with your own design. I had ours done with orange and maroon sides with the Hokies tracks on it.

It has been very well received by both faculty and the students in the rooms I have them deployed. One faculty told me it changed the dynamics of the class (a 150 seat room) when he used it. People wait for it to be tossed to them to ask questions.

I have used this in all types of events, from Kid's Tech University to formal big time guest lecturer events.  Everyone loves it. Maybe not for all but something to consider. I believe another company makes a ball shaped one but the cube doesn't roll off the table.

One thing is if it is sitting still it is on so having someone ride the fader or get a good gating on it in a live event is good.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »

The aisle mic idea above is really good as fixed on a stand at least gives you a chance.  Other than that make sure you have enough headroom and ride them up the desk as much as possible.  Beyond that you could ask the person passing the mic round to tell them to talk closer to it.

Hey if it was easy to get great results al the time, we wouldn’t be needed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.