ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Martin Roboscan 518 - no DMX controle after TLC  (Read 2213 times)

Ben Robertson

Martin Roboscan 518 - no DMX controle after TLC
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:41:34 AM »

i recently purchased 30 x roboscan 518, i have systematically been opening the units cleaning the optic train and re assembling, one unit which tested all options perfect prior to disassembly (pan/tilt/EFX/colour/gobo/dimmer shutters.

now no longer responds to dmx control

all stepper motors run through start process / test

i have reopend and confirmed all leads are correctly connected

i have check the internal fused visually

any suggestions or advice appreciated

John Fruits

Re: Martin Roboscan 518 - no DMX controle after TLC
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »

When you checked that the cables were properly seated did you also check on the DMX jumper, could it have gotten loose?  Also dip switches get funky with age, try exercising them all (you might write down the proper settings first) in case they have oxidation problems.  Good luck.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 05:44:31 PM »

Also dip switches get funky with age, try exercising them all (you might write down the proper settings first) in case they have oxidation problems.

Along these lines, make sure you have them set back to the proper mode.  It's been over 10 years since I've touched a Roboscan, but I seem to recall them having a "Martin Mode" in addition to a "DMX Mode".  I also believe you need to use a phase reverser on these.  Did you leave it out by mistake when hooking things up?  Hope this helps!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:05:51 PM »

The DMX control switches the polarity of pins 2/3. Are you using crossover cables?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ben Robertson

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:14:09 PM »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

i did cross the swapped pin issue at the time of purchase .. really odd behaviour from Martin MPC software resolved by use of correct cable, prior to this the oldest martin fixtures i had used were MX4 and MX10's, which didnt need and cross over cable

i have toggled all the DMX switches up and down and returned to me test profile

i will check the internal jumper pins as its possible they were disturbed when refitting the cables  to the main board (possibly changing the mode)

how easy / hard is it to kill the board from static charge?

i made sure i was earthed in the initial disassembly, i figure these need to be reasonably robust, and the fact that self test / gobo alignment carries out indicate board should be good

Ben Robertson

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 04:00:07 AM »

After talk of the sensor on this forum and else where, i rechecked the sensor for the colour wheel on the optics train and noticed that when resetting its position after replacing the colour wheel that the sensor was angled in a little deeper than previously, so the sensor was not sensing the gap / notch in the wheel.

After angling the optical sensor out a few more degree's. it seems the self-test/calibration logic must be met

to observe this, i had to put the fixture in standalone mode ( DIPS 2,10) Auto mode no audio required)

it would seem that dmx is only activated once all calibration has been carried out.

Thanks for the input .... problem solved

5 units down 25 more to go...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 04:00:07 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.