ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lapel (lavalier) mic  (Read 4755 times)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Lapel (lavalier) mic
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »

My Pastor asked me to purchase a Lapel (lavalier) mic for the church.  He will use it occasionally, when he's simply teaching, rather than full-on preaching.  I know nothing about them.  I can do a google search, but I'm asking for some expert opinions on here, and some things that you recommend I consider when I purchase one.  If you have recommendations on brands, please give me a "better" option and a "best" option.  We don't want anything cheap.

We currently have all QLXD24/SM58 mics. We use a UA844 combiner with two UA874 antennas.  Note:  we do have room for the additional mic on one of the combiners.

Thank you for your input and suggestions.

scottstephens

Re: Lapel (lavalier) mic
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:29:20 AM »

Issac,

An ok mic for occasional use would be the Shure WL 184 or 185. Both are just a hair over hundred dollars each. A step up would be a Shure MX 150 it's about $200. From there look at other manufacturers and you could spend up to $600-700 maybe.

Theu shures aren't my favorite, but for the money, not bad.

Scott

David Simpson

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »

I second Scott's recommendation. The WL184 / 185 are very durable and quite common in this application. You see them a lot in houses of worship and corporate work. They are a great bang for the buck and are much more durable than other products on the market.

~Dave

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:06:45 AM »

Issac,

An ok mic for occasional use would be the Shure WL 184 or 185. Both are just a hair over hundred dollars each. A step up would be a Shure MX 150 it's about $200. From there look at other manufacturers and you could spend up to $600-700 maybe.

Theu shures aren't my favorite, but for the money, not bad.

Scott

Thank you, Scott (and David).  I want this mic to be wireless.  I'll need to purchase a body pack and a receiver.  When I lookup the 185 on sweetwater it says it goes with the ULX1 body-pack.  Is that the best one to get?  Also, what rack-mountable receiver should I get?  Note:  I want to keep up with the same level of gear as we already have.

David Simpson

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 10:29:40 AM »

You could just get a QLXD1 body pack transmitter with the WL184 / 5 mic of your choosing. It could tune to the existing frequency of your QLXD receivers. Since you said this would be used in times where the preacher was teaching, seems like a good way to save some money. It certainly seems like you would want to stay in the Shure camp of gear since you already have a bit of it. The WL185 type lavs can be used with any of the existing line of sure wireless. They all use the same type of connector.

~Dave

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »

Thank you, Scott (and David).  I want this mic to be wireless.  I'll need to purchase a body pack and a receiver.  When I lookup the 185 on sweetwater it says it goes with the ULX1 body-pack.  Is that the best one to get?  Also, what rack-mountable receiver should I get?  Note:  I want to keep up with the same level of gear as we already have.

You can use the lav mic on a QLXD pack with one of your existing receivers, or could add another QLXD system to the rack.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »

You can use the lav mic on a QLXD pack with one of your existing receivers, or could add another QLXD system to the rack.

Mike and David - If I add it to one of my existing receivers, how do I switch back and forth? Is it as simple as:  whichever body pack is on, that's the one that the receiver picks up?  So then, all I need to do is pair the body-pack to the receiver and then I'm good to go, right?

David Simpson

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 10:48:44 AM »

You are exactly correct. Of course, there would be a gain and EQ difference on the channel strip on the board too. You could always split the input to another channel so that would fix that. If it is a digital board, just recall a preset. Still cheaper than another receiver.

~Dave

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 10:52:05 AM »

You are exactly correct. Of course, there would be a gain and EQ difference on the channel strip on the board too. You could always split the input to another channel so that would fix that. If it is a digital board, just recall a preset. Still cheaper than another receiver.

~Dave

Hmmm, I agree that it would be cheaper.  But money is not really an issue, and I honestly don't want to have to hurriedly adjust gain, EQ, etc if he decides to change, mid-service haha.  So maybe an additional receiver is best. 

Splitting the input to another channel.  How does that work, exactly? (forgive my ignorance).

David Simpson

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »

If there is a chance he would swap mid service, that is a completely different scenario. In that case, you should get another wireless system and have it on another board channel. I would still recommend sticking with the same line of wireless you have now, just add another system.

~Dave

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.