Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Installing AC to Powered Speakers

(1/4) > >>

Nathan Riddle:
Okay so the common consensus is *most* powered speakers with built in FIR & limiting & DSP = much better speaker than their passive counterparts.

The problem is the install of AC power close to the powered speaker. That requires an electrician right?

Using SOOW in an installed situation isn't possible 400.8(1).
It's not possible for me (not licensed electrician) to run some conduit or MC cable right?

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=127029
http://www.ecmweb.com/code-basics/flexible-cords-cables-and-fixture-wire

Does everyone else ALWAYS subcontract an electrician to do that work? or is there another means of getting an outlet 30+ft in the air near the speaker location?

---

Other thoughts:

Seems like FIR/LIR processing at the amp might be the only way to achieve the higher quality of a powered speaker.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on April 23, 2018, 04:18:59 PM ---Okay so the common consensus is *most* powered speakers with built in FIR & limiting & DSP = much better speaker than their passive counterparts.

The problem is the install of AC power close to the powered speaker. That requires an electrician right?

Using SOOW in an installed situation isn't possible 400.8(1).
It's not possible for me (not licensed electrician) to run some conduit or MC cable right?

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=127029
http://www.ecmweb.com/code-basics/flexible-cords-cables-and-fixture-wire

Does everyone else ALWAYS subcontract an electrician to do that work? or is there another means of getting an outlet 30+ft in the air near the speaker location?

---

Other thoughts:

Seems like FIR/LIR processing at the amp might be the only way to achieve the higher quality of a powered speaker.

--- End quote ---

Yes, the client either arranges for an electrician or we'll make those arrangements for them.  We don't install outlets.

Fulcrum and JBL and EAW offer loudspeakers with external DSP amplifiers.

Jonathan Johnson:

--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on April 23, 2018, 04:18:59 PM ---Does everyone else ALWAYS subcontract an electrician to do that work? or is there another means of getting an outlet 30+ft in the air near the speaker location?

--- End quote ---

That depends on your local codes and ordinances. Electrical codes and permit requirements are usually administered and enforced at the local level (and in some states, at the state level). Despite the "National" in "National Electrical Code" electrical wiring standards and their application are neither developed, ordained, licensed, permitted, or enforced by any agency of the Federal government, except on Federal government property.

Many places allow HOMEOWNERS to perform electrical work IN THEIR OWN(ed) HOMES. Most places require a licensed electrician to perform electrical work in businesses (including not-for-profits such as churches), with a permit and inspection.

If your venue is under a labor union contract, the venue may be required to hire a union electrician. Even if it's a different union than the one they're under contract with. (I don't know; I've never been a part of a labor union.)

Some places -- like rural parts of Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana -- might not care. Do all the wiring you want, without any permits or inspections.

Your liability insurer probably will care. They'll probably say "don't touch it." Even if you have an electrician license, if you don't have the proper insurance coverage, they'll say "no."

You should care. The saying "you touch it you own it" applies here. Yes, you may be qualified. You may be able to install it with impeccable workmanship and according to all applicable codes. But, when there's a problem, they'll be looking at you, even if it's not your fault. Are you willing to accept that risk?

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on April 23, 2018, 06:25:30 PM ---Yes, the client either arranges for an electrician or we'll make those arrangements for them.  We don't install outlets.

--- End quote ---

We go as far as giving the client a drawing showing where the outlets should drop and suggest how many speakers can be powered by which circuit breakers. And I'll answer questions from their electrician prior to them do the install. But we don't install outlets ourselves, only recommend what's required to power our AVL gear.

Frank DeWitt:
i don't think powered speakers in a fixed install make sense.  Even after the extra trouble of getting them installed, WHEN they fail the electronics that need service are 30 ft in the air.   I like a Amp and DSP in a rack where I can install a backup in a hurry.   I've had to do it on Sunday morning between the beginning of practice and the service. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version