ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub amp recomendations  (Read 8706 times)

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
Sub amp recomendations
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:18:39 PM »

I am thinking about some newer amps to replace the old iron, but great sounding ones i have. I have dual 18 mtl2b subs, also old but suit me. They have Eminence ohmega pro 18's rated at 800 w. each, paralled so 4 ohm per cab. I have been running my amps at 240 volts with short #10 wires to subs on each side, also have a spare on each side. This weekend i had an amp fail so the question. Anything out there thats 240 and can match the power i need? 120v can work but i am cabled for 240, not a problem to change but it keeps newbies from renting. I am wanting a four channel amp, two channels used, two for back ups. Have not had time to look around so i am sure someone here has already done the homework and i thank you for any replies. I could use two channel and buy four. All input would be great! Thanks,  Kevin.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Sub amp recomendations
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 04:43:57 PM »

Honestly, best bang for buck is PLD amps.

RMS (thermal) & peak limiting. 4ch amp. Processing. Summation of channels in more than just bridging...

Fantastic price. Mike Pyle can hook you up.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 05:18:29 PM »

Honestly, best bang for buck is PLD amps.

RMS (thermal) & peak limiting. 4ch amp. Processing. Summation of channels in more than just bridging...

Fantastic price. Mike Pyle can hook you up.
I thought they would come up. Thanks. Always been a fan of QSC. I thought an inuke may have been first! Not poor enough to buy one.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:57:08 PM »

I thought they would come up. Thanks.

Yeah every few months I end up looking at amps for an install and pld consistently comes in on top of price vs performance.

Inuke DSP would be my low end pick. Just get something with 1.5-2x the power you think you need.

An other option is ashly  (compared to QSC not inuke haha)

High end would be powersoft/linea research.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:06:17 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »

I am thinking about some newer amps to replace the old iron, but great sounding ones i have. I have dual 18 mtl2b subs, also old but suit me. They have Eminence ohmega pro 18's rated at 800 w. each, paralled so 4 ohm per cab. I have been running my amps at 240 volts with short #10 wires to subs on each side, also have a spare on each side. This weekend i had an amp fail so the question. Anything out there thats 240 and can match the power i need? 120v can work but i am cabled for 240, not a problem to change but it keeps newbies from renting. I am wanting a four channel amp, two channels used, two for back ups. Have not had time to look around so i am sure someone here has already done the homework and i thank you for any replies. I could use two channel and buy four. All input would be great! Thanks,  Kevin.
I'd look at Powersoft or Linea.  If you're used to "big iron", short/thick cabling - many of the cheaper lightweight amps could leave you wanting, especially on longer-duration notes. 

Especially on subwoofers, various amps that all claim 1,600w at 4 ohms won't perform the same. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 09:34:17 PM »

Yeah every few months I end up looking at amps for an install and pld consistently comes in on top of price vs performance.

Inuke DSP would be my low end pick. Just get something with 1.5-2x the power you think you need.

An other option is ashly  (compared to QSC not inuke haha)

High end would be powersoft/linea research.
I thought about the inuke as a get by, just seems to cheap, but the show would go on.  I like the ashly gear i have and have good results with them. I will check on them. I have 3 spares now ( 4 if this one is fixable) so no hurry. Thanks for the advice.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 09:54:44 PM »

I'd look at Powersoft or Linea.  If you're used to "big iron", short/thick cabling - many of the cheaper lightweight amps could leave you wanting, especially on longer-duration notes. 

Especially on subwoofers, various amps that all claim 1,600w at 4 ohms won't perform the same. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Thanks, i have heard good things about both. Having time is on my side, as i have spares. Money is a concern to a degree, as it should be, but quality is more to me. I can imagine an inuke shitting out on a low keyboard part but for a backup, maybe. Spend some to make some more. ROI is supposed to be our friend. I know i brought up the inuke i think it would get me all i want as a just in case.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 03:16:07 AM »

Look at the Powersoft K20.

It's all the subwoofer amp you'll ever need. Extreme performance even when you don't need it all.

John Schalk

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »

Here is a link to a previous discussion about how to measure the output of power amps with a focus on driving subs.  It includes a couple of links for some bench tests, including the iNuke 6000. 

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,153123.40.html

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »

Thanks, i have heard good things about both. Having time is on my side, as i have spares. Money is a concern to a degree, as it should be, but quality is more to me. I can imagine an inuke shitting out on a low keyboard part but for a backup, maybe. Spend some to make some more. ROI is supposed to be our friend. I know i brought up the inuke i think it would get me all i want as a just in case.
Kevin,

My 3 year warranty is almost up, but no problems so far on the five NU4-6000 I bought.

Here's my review from 2015:

Just before the 2015 Christmas holidays I conducted a battery of tests on some old amplifiers and a new Behringer NU4-6000 four channel amplifier. To my surprise, the  NU4-6000 performed as well on low frequencies as on mid/high frequencies, and is capable of near full power sine wave output with all four channels driven to rated output at two ohms, or two bridged mono pairs driving four ohm loads each. The $350 NU4-6000 appears to be within 3 dB of the $5500 Powersoft K10 published rating on sustained (more than 1 second) output.

The NU4-6000 with two bridged mono pairs each driving four ohm loads just below the illumination of the clip/limit light each put out 85.5 volts at 60 Hz (1828 watts), 84.6 volts at 30 Hz (1789 watts), dropping the mains voltage on a 100' 10AWG 120V line from 118.1 volts down to 107.2 volts, drawing 31 amperes.

Using just one bridged mono pair, the amp ran for 40+ seconds before I terminated the test, as the amp was drawing 19.8 amperes, and the "tired" 20 amp mains breaker had popped several times in various tests already. The amp would have put out more power given a full 120 volts, but the test represents  a "real world" situation, we don't generally plug our amplifiers in to an outlet two feet from the mains transformer.

I also tested my old "heavy iron" bass favorite, a Crest CA9. Bridged into a 4 ohm load the CA9 dropped the mains to 99.6 volts, drew 37.8 amps but only put out 80 volts (1600 watts). The NU4-6000 put out more power, and drew only 50% of the power from the mains compared to the CA9, and weighs a small fraction of the "heavy iron".

My back (and bank account) are very pleased with the NU4-6000, after the testing I purchased four units, and was happy to find that Behringer fixed the fan noise problem, turning the fan speed down when the amp is cool.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.