ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub amp recomendations  (Read 8700 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: Sub amp recomendations
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »

I have 2 NU4-6000 and 2 NU6000DSP. I got the first NU4-6000 and a DCX2496 processor after reading the review Art posted. I was so impressed with the sound and output per dollar I bought the rest to replace PLX amps and to give me more flexibility.

I've never had a problem. They never heat up, even running subs. I'm very happy with them.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 08:17:15 PM »

Look at the Powersoft K20.

It's all the subwoofer amp you'll ever need. Extreme performance even when you don't need it all.
That is a real amp. Thats down the road though. Thanks.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »

I'd look at Powersoft or Linea.  If you're used to "big iron", short/thick cabling - many of the cheaper lightweight amps could leave you wanting, especially on longer-duration notes. 

Especially on subwoofers, various amps that all claim 1,600w at 4 ohms won't perform the same. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Makes me wonder if i should seek out more old iron!

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »

Here is a link to a previous discussion about how to measure the output of power amps with a focus on driving subs.  It includes a couple of links for some bench tests, including the iNuke 6000. 

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,153123.40.html
Thank you.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 09:27:03 PM »

Kevin,

My 3 year warranty is almost up, but no problems so far on the five NU4-6000 I bought.

Here's my review from 2015:

Just before the 2015 Christmas holidays I conducted a battery of tests on some old amplifiers and a new Behringer NU4-6000 four channel amplifier. To my surprise, the  NU4-6000 performed as well on low frequencies as on mid/high frequencies, and is capable of near full power sine wave output with all four channels driven to rated output at two ohms, or two bridged mono pairs driving four ohm loads each. The $350 NU4-6000 appears to be within 3 dB of the $5500 Powersoft K10 published rating on sustained (more than 1 second) output.

The NU4-6000 with two bridged mono pairs each driving four ohm loads just below the illumination of the clip/limit light each put out 85.5 volts at 60 Hz (1828 watts), 84.6 volts at 30 Hz (1789 watts), dropping the mains voltage on a 100' 10AWG 120V line from 118.1 volts down to 107.2 volts, drawing 31 amperes.

Using just one bridged mono pair, the amp ran for 40+ seconds before I terminated the test, as the amp was drawing 19.8 amperes, and the "tired" 20 amp mains breaker had popped several times in various tests already. The amp would have put out more power given a full 120 volts, but the test represents  a "real world" situation, we don't generally plug our amplifiers in to an outlet two feet from the mains transformer.

I also tested my old "heavy iron" bass favorite, a Crest CA9. Bridged into a 4 ohm load the CA9 dropped the mains to 99.6 volts, drew 37.8 amps but only put out 80 volts (1600 watts). The NU4-6000 put out more power, and drew only 50% of the power from the mains compared to the CA9, and weighs a small fraction of the "heavy iron".

My back (and bank account) are very pleased with the NU4-6000, after the testing I purchased four units, and was happy to find that Behringer fixed the fan noise problem, turning the fan speed down when the amp is cool.
Thank you Art. Interesting results but how are they 5 hours in? Time will tell. I, like many have been shy of the B word. The x32 made people pay more attention to them and maybe the are coming along. I posted a thing about china amps, kinda to see what i already know, but one of these companies is making these things. I think, hearing it from you, i may get one. The price is so cheap it worries me for real use. I have spares so if one shits out it is not a huge problem. Thank you.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 01:27:55 AM »

Thank you Art. Interesting results but how are they 5 hours in? Time will tell. I, like many have been shy of the B word. The x32 made people pay more attention to them and maybe the are coming along. I posted a thing about china amps, kinda to see what i already know, but one of these companies is making these things. I think, hearing it from you, i may get one. The price is so cheap it worries me for real use. I have spares so if one shits out it is not a huge problem. Thank you.

I suggest you get one and flog the shit out of it. It will be under warranty if you blow it up, and you won't be out much for the experiment. That's what I did, and I bought 3 more afterwards.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »

I put a NU-6000DSP in my friend's club a few years back when the second-hand Peavey PV2600 decided to immolate itself.  The amp survived no less than two punk-rock festivals on sub duty plus 2-4 shows per week for two years.  The punk rock festival was four days of 12-16 hours of pounding out bass without a hiccup.  The amp is still running in my friend's new club and working fine. 

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 02:36:24 PM »

Thank you Art. Interesting results but how are they 5 hours in?
5 hours in they are as cool as they were to start- depending on the angle of the sun, of course. Far cooler than the Crest and QSC amps they replaced would have been, and using a hell of a lot less power.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:48:49 PM by Art Welter »

John L Nobile

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 02:53:53 PM »

I suggest you get one and flog the shit out of it. It will be under warranty if you blow it up, and you won't be out much for the experiment. That's what I did, and I bought 3 more afterwards.

I bought 3 NU4-600's a year ago for monitor duty. Needed 2 but had more than enough left in my budget for a spare. 1 died and has been repaired.

I know Behringer doesn't get much love but honestly, had they been around when I was young I would have probably had a nicer system and more money in my pocket .

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 09:28:53 PM »

That's what i was thinking, not out much as you say.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 09:28:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.