ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Elegant /Pretty way to mount a podium mic on a oak podium.  (Read 2554 times)

Franklin Benjamin

Elegant /Pretty way to mount a podium mic on a oak podium.
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:19:32 PM »

Hi guys, I am looking for a pretty way to mount an 18" countryman Isomax 4RF to a wooden (oak) podium.  Optimal for sight lines would be to the left of the speaker (stage left) mounted on the left of the podium but close to the front.

Podium is U Shaped.

I've considered getting a block of wood and mounting a flange to it (drilling through the block) and drilling a small hole for the contractor cable to come through.  But then that means mounting another block of wood on the other side so that the symmetry  isn't off.  I would also have to stain the wood to match.  Oddly enough someone has done some modifications to mount a lamp and they used pine and stained.  It's close and unless you're up close probably wouldn't notice.  I would probably go the same route except maybe with a piece of oak replacing the pine and coming out a little wider.  I'm fine with the work but just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

I would have to post some pics of course I forgot to take some.

Podium  is close to this one. 
http://curtisproductsgroup.com/WS10-Smoked-Wingstyle-Acrylic-Podium

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Elegant /Pretty way to mount a podium mic on a oak podium.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »

There is a flanged XLR connector made specifically for this. You would simply drill a hole through the top of the lectern and hard wire the XLR connector in. When you need the mic you plug it in and when you don't you just take the mic off. The wires can be ran in such a way it will not be seen and you can get the flange almost out to the edge of the lectern.

Here is one model: https://www.affinitechstore.com/sennheiser-is-series-xlr-female-flange-mount-for-fixed-installation-requires-24-21-mm-diameter-hole-1-5-oz-mzt30/
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

scottstephens

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »

Franklin,

Make sure you use a "finish" bit or a band new bit that is really sharp. Do not cheap out on the bit or you will have a messed up hole.

Scott

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »

Lecturn.  You stand on the podium.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Don Davis

• So Cal

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »

There is a flanged XLR connector made specifically for this. You would simply drill a hole through the top of the lectern and hard wire the XLR connector in. When you need the mic you plug it in and when you don't you just take the mic off. The wires can be ran in such a way it will not be seen and you can get the flange almost out to the edge of the lectern.

Here is one model: https://www.affinitechstore.com/sennheiser-is-series-xlr-female-flange-mount-for-fixed-installation-requires-24-21-mm-diameter-hole-1-5-oz-mzt30/
Thanks Luke, the side walls are double walled so there is a void in the podium.  I would have to fish the cable all the way down as I believe this one has a bottom. 

I am fairly capable working with wood and I know about the flanged connectors but it just feels like I'm butchering the podium by drilling a hole.  Countryman makes one similar as well. The podium I referenced is close but not exactly the same.  I am trying to go back to the venue later in the week to take some pics.

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »

I just ordered one of these for an Audix podium mic, could save you from drilling into a beautiful lecturn.

https://www.lyxpro.com/products/lyxxbm8-anti-slip-microphone-desktop-base-with-built-in-xlr-socket?cmp_id=944223077&adg_id=47145891495&kwd=&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0-nT7JzR2gIVDBhpCh3SQwEJEAQYASABEgLtaPD_BwE
Yes, I've also considered this option but without the switch  ;D.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica version.  I own one, it has a decent weight to it and has worked well for me in temporary settings. 

I was actually thinking about the base with a right angle connector on it to keep cable from sticking out too far.  I just don't know if it's aesthetically pleasing.  I might be overthinking it but some clients appreciate the look as well as the function.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »

Yes, I've also considered this option but without the switch  ;D.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica version.  I own one, it has a decent weight to it and has worked well for me in temporary settings. 

I was actually thinking about the base with a right angle connector on it to keep cable from sticking out too far.  I just don't know if it's aesthetically pleasing.  I might be overthinking it but some clients appreciate the look as well as the function.

I have the AT one as well. Since my use is temporary, I made up a mic cord with a right angle for the AT base and just long enough to make it to the floor. I gaff the cable to the inside of one side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 03:11:07 AM »

Lecturn.  You stand on the podium.

Excellent.  Someone as pedantic as me!

Steve.

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »

Excellent.  Someone as pedantic as me!

Steve.

it's  Lectern .......for the pedants
 ::)

R

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.