ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Amp Selection Help  (Read 2302 times)

Jason Anthony

Power Amp Selection Help
« on: April 22, 2018, 07:32:31 PM »

I am new to running live sound so I'm sorry for such a Rookie question.  I'm considering buying 2 EV 18 Subs BUT both subs have new beefier EVX-180B Speakers in the cabinets.
What power amp would pair well to run these 2 subs?  I'm on a tight budget getting started.  Would any Behringer Amps work (Behringer EP 2000, EP 4000, iNuke 3000, iNuke 6000, QSC GX5, Yamaha P5000s)

Any suggestions what inexpensive Power Amp would work best?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Power Amp Selection Help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:46:48 PM »

Nope, sorry! Unless "Anton" is your Real, Full Name, we're not permitted to assist you until your Display Name reflects your Real, Full Name.

[And maybe define what "tight budget" or "inexpensive" means to you...]

Thanks!

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 11:50:51 PM »

I'm considering buying 2 EV 18 Subs BUT both subs have new beefier EVX-180B Speakers in the cabinets.
What model are these cabs? The fact the drivers have been upgraded suggests they are either older or lower level cabs so their performance may or may not meet your expectations despite the driver change.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:36:04 AM »

600w continuous, 1000w "program", are the ratings for that driver.

I'd go for a NU6000 - 1200w/ch into 8ohm, 2000w/ch into 4ohm.
Watch for red lights, though. Occasional limiting (as in, once per song) would be okay, but if the red lights are on for any length of time, you're in danger of burning the drivers.

You could use an NU3000 bridged (the NU6000 is effectively a pair of NU3000s bridged) driving into the 4ohm load that the cabinets would present, but that's a difficult time for the amplifier. The NU6000 would leave you room to expand if you wanted to.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:53:53 PM »

600w continuous, 1000w "program", are the ratings for that driver.

NU6000 - 1200w/ch into 8ohm, 2000w/ch into 4ohm.

The NU6000 is actually around 1,100-1,200 at 4 ohms, and needs a lot of wall current to do so. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 04:51:26 PM »

I am new to running live sound so I'm sorry for such a Rookie question.  I'm considering buying 2 EV 18 Subs BUT both subs have new beefier EVX-180B Speakers in the cabinets.
What power amp would pair well to run these 2 subs?  I'm on a tight budget getting started.  Would any Behringer Amps work (Behringer EP 2000, EP 4000, iNuke 3000, iNuke 6000, QSC GX5, Yamaha P5000s)

Any suggestions what inexpensive Power Amp would work best?

Cant go wrong with QSC, I've been running them for over 10 years and still kick ass. Although I do own a few digital Behringer consoles, I'm not too certain on how their amps perform in the real world.

Also, Check around on Craigslist or eBay for amps or deals on the one you would prefer or is recommended. I'm sure you'll find something. Personally, for those specs I would probably go with the  iNuke6000..
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 08:44:10 PM »

The Behringer I-Nuke series has shown to be rather dependable and surprisingly quite close to rated spec. While I would not plan on flogging them, they should be just fine and the price is hard to beat. The EP series of Behringer is very much an QSC RMX rip off. Nothing inherently wrong with them either and are reliable enough. Again hard to beat for the price.

I myself am not a fan of the QSC GX series of amps. They are very much dumbed down to fit into the market segment. I don't find their power to weight ration very nice either.

I have no experience with the Yamaha amps mentioned, but I am sure they will be more than good enough.

Given the choices you presented, the Behringer I-Nuke stuff is very hard to beat and the option I would go with.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 09:22:40 PM »

the 4ohm load that the cabinets would present,
Assuming these are double 18 cabs. They could be one of the single 18 versions.. Sb180, T18, or Eliminator, hopefully the OP will come back and fill in some info.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:51:06 AM »

The NU6000 is actually around 1,100-1,200 at 4 ohms, and needs a lot of wall current to do so. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

No, it isn't.
https://forum.speakerplans.com/behringer-inuke-nu6000-vs-kam-kxd7200-bench-tested_topic69202.html
So long as you're not playing sine waves (so the breaker trips), it'll put out a respectable amount of power from a light and reasonably-priced package.
There are better amps on the market, sure, but the price-to-performance ratio is hard to beat.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:51:06 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.