ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smaller (1/4 wave) antenna Carvin EM900 available?  (Read 899 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Smaller (1/4 wave) antenna Carvin EM900 available?
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »

I have one of these and it has been great as our back-up/individual system. It gets used when only 1 system is necessary and I don't need to take my iem rack with all my others in it- so I keep it in a little gator case designed for iem systems. Thing is that antenna is so big (half wave) that it makes it awkward to transport - I don't want to separate it from the main body in case it was ever forgotten or misplaced. The Sennheiser EW system antenna is 1/4 wave and fits inside the case well.
I've looked on eBay but cannot find the matching MHz rating.
Supplied antenna is 500-570MHz.
Has anyone else using these been able to find anything that works?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Smaller (1/4 wave) antenna Carvin EM900 available?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »

I have one of these and it has been great as our back-up/individual system. It gets used when only 1 system is necessary and I don't need to take my iem rack with all my others in it- so I keep it in a little gator case designed for iem systems. Thing is that antenna is so big (half wave) that it makes it awkward to transport - I don't want to separate it from the main body in case it was ever forgotten or misplaced. The Sennheiser EW system antenna is 1/4 wave and fits inside the case well.
I've looked on eBay but cannot find the matching MHz rating.
Supplied antenna is 500-570MHz.
Has anyone else using these been able to find anything that works?

No, you can't do that any more than you can shrink a subwoofer.

Mhz ratings as you call it is the frequency the antenna is tuned for.  1/2 wave will be a certain length at the operating frequency (around a foot at 500Mhz).

You can shorten that with coils but then it's not a 1/2 wave anymore and won't work as well. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 10:59:19 AM »

I figured it was worth a go and I just tried my Shure BLX mic system antenna on the Carvin. I no longer use the OEM antennas for the  Shure anyway since I got the half waves and attached them to the back of the rack so it seemed worth a try as these dont get used anymore. .....and .....it works.
I moved all around the house with the pack and even into the yard and still no drop out. The Shure frequency band is 512- 542 Mhz ( H9 band) and the Carvin is 518 -542Mhz so they are almost identical as far as that goes. I don't know enough about this to know if there will be any drawbacks using the smaller antenna - but if I can get stability on stage, I'll be happy. I keep the transmitter on the stage so it will never be more than a few feet from the pack.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 10:59:19 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.