ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: wedge / floor monitor case  (Read 5263 times)

Brian Hancock

wedge / floor monitor case
« on: April 18, 2018, 10:04:22 PM »

anyone have some unique or well thought out designs ... maybe side entry with slam latch??

looking to design some new 1/4 pack cases for 2 wedges that don t require 1. lifting a speaker up high, or 2 taking off a large top hat that is the majority of the case

thoughts pics etc ... thanks on advance

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: wedge / floor monitor case
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 10:40:54 PM »

Maybe a clam shell case like Clair used for the 12AM?

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Martin Morris

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:49:44 PM »

anyone have some unique or well thought out designs ... maybe side entry with slam latch??

looking to design some new 1/4 pack cases for 2 wedges that don t require 1. lifting a speaker up high, or 2 taking off a large top hat that is the majority of the case

thoughts pics etc ... thanks on advance

maybe something like this ...
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 05:26:58 PM »

Depends on the wedge. If you have wedges with front handles you could do a case where they drop in and rest on their backs.

I would think that sliding wedges into a side opening 1/4 pack case would be a pain and tear things up quickly, not to mention putting a lot of torque on your wrists.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

hugovanmeijeren

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:43:13 AM »

For our L-Acoustics wedges (X8, X12, X15 HiQ) we designed some cases with hinged tops, that open to the sides.

Hugo van Meijeren

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »

For our L-Acoustics wedges (X8, X12, X15 HiQ) we designed some cases with hinged tops, that open to the sides.

That is a nice case. 

Biggest issue with clam shell has been fighting with the case to get the wedge in and out.

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »

I like that hinged lid a lot.  I appreciate that the lid is captive so you aren't futzing around with them and getting them miss matched and lost.  The three piece pull over cases, like the new Martin Minis can be challenging, especially once the cases start to get worn out.  The Martin ones serve a function so you can pin together line array blocks while they ride around in the trays, but I've seen wedge cases made in the same style.

The clam shell cases are slick, but I think they're most appropriate for super heavy wedges where there will always be at least two people getting them out of cases.  Nobody should buy heavy wedges that take two people to get them out ever again.

thomas d.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »

Biggest issue with clam shell has been fighting with the case to get the wedge in and out.

It's an acquired skill.  99.9% of the time, I pick up the wrong end of my (heavy) PRG DFM1x12 wedges and have to switch hands to get them in their clamshells.  The upside is, I feel like a magician when I open them in front of an audience...

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »

It's an acquired skill.  99.9% of the time, I pick up the wrong end of my (heavy) PRG DFM1x12 wedges and have to switch hands to get them in their clamshells.  The upside is, I feel like a magician when I open them in front of an audience...

Dave

One time I watched a stagehand get in a 12am case with his head popping out of the handle hole.  His buddies rolled him around stage until he didn't think it was funny anymore, especially when they rolled him down a dance floor ramp.  Nothing could possibly go wrong there, right?

thomas d.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 01:00:18 PM »

Okay, this is new....

I like it.  I can see where it would take a little more floor real estate to open, but not much.  And one guy can easily load and unload the case without ever picking up any part of the case.  I also like that, while it's a unique design, it's pretty self-explanatory. 

i'm fairly sure i'd be "reminding" stagehands quite often to not leave them lying around open so they don't get bent/destroyed.  But there are always tradeoffs.

Slick.  I love seeing new ideas....

Edit:

P.S.  Just realized that you can roll these in double stacked, and then unload the top case BEFORE you have to take it down.  And you can reverse the process on the out.  Now i want these everywhere on everything.  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:03:03 PM by brian maddox »
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 01:00:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.