ETX 18s active
- 2 (13.3%)
Jbl SRX818SP active
- 11 (73.3%)
Qsc KW181 active
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer advice  (Read 10643 times)

Frank Caridi

Re: Subwoofer advice
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 09:17:38 PM »

Hi Frank-

Watch out for The Anvil of Reality®.

If I understand correctly you want to provide some music for a relative's party.  You own some equipment already and want to add a subwoofer.  You're not especially technical and have time/budget constraints.

I'd suggest you rent.  Everything.  A pair of subs with 12" tops, speaker poles or stands... and use your DJ controller/mixer/PC as the input source.  Keep the system in the same model line and brand, i.e. JBL SRX800 or EV ETX or Yamaha DSR/DXR, etc.

First this takes care of ALL your technical concerns - the manufacturer has done all that pesky science stuff for us.  Second this will allow you to audition the equipment without further obligation; if you don't like it you just saved yourself a potential mistaken purchase.  Third this helps make you look like a pro to your family or client - you'll go from setting it in place to making sound in a much shorter time than trying to kluge together a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.

Finally, renting means you don't have to make a PURCHASE decision right this instant.  It takes off some of the pressure and that will let you devote more attention to the music and presentation you'd like to give.

hey guys i appreciate the advise i thought about renting also called a place! but then i realized i rather have my own. i figured i can use it for when i have parties and bbqs at the house! you see i am somewhat of a gear junkie. i love audio! i come from a home audio back round recently i started getting interested into pro audio gear and sound. i also did DIY builds. i dont do this for a living or make money off of it i do it as a hobby. i decided to look for a forum for help i found this place for advice and experience. i did installs and automation programming.

so on that note i decided to go with the EV ETX 18sp for now eventually i will upgrade my mains but for now ill start with what i got! i will definitely let you guys know what i think!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:48:26 PM by Frank Caridi »

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 11:51:55 AM »

so on that note i decided to go with the EV ETX 18sp for now eventually i will upgrade my mains but for now ill start with what i got! i will definitely let you guys know what i think!
Why that particular sub?

I'd recommend getting a sub that's got built in high pass capabilities, and unless I'm reading the specs incorrectly that sub does not.

I'd also recommend getting the largest sub you can transport. A single 18" sub does not put out a ton of sound. And near the pricepoint of that EV you can pick up a JBL SRX828sp.

Frank Caridi

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 08:37:49 PM »

Why that particular sub?

I'd recommend getting a sub that's got built in high pass capabilities, and unless I'm reading the specs incorrectly that sub does not.

I'd also recommend getting the largest sub you can transport. A single 18" sub does not put out a ton of sound. And near the pricepoint of that EV you can pick up a JBL SRX828sp.

I went to Sam ash and I listen to the 2 subs
Qsc kw181
Ev ETX 18sp
Jbl SRX818SP

And I thought the ETX sounded the best ad I was able to get the best deal on that subwoofer like I said I won’t be doing big party’s or anything the party I will do in my will be around 45 50 ppl no more then 10ft-15ft away from the subwoofer and speakers so it shouldn’t be a problem. I ordered a new mixer mackie profx8 it has a HP built in. And a EQ. definitely made everything sound much better and a lot more control I have. I can also push the speakers much harder now that I have the HP. Once I get the subwoofer working with it it should sound pretty good. Deciding if I should get a crown or Samson amp that has crossover built in.
I also got a BBE sonic maxizer for fairly cheap so curious as to how it going to sound. But maybe it’s a gimmick will see. If I don’t like the ev I can swap it out for the jbl no problem but I didn’t feel or hear that much of a difference btw the ev and jbl. Jbl might get a tad louder but the ev sounded so good! My opinion. Hopefully I’ll get it next week and try it out in my house with my mains and let it rip and see what I can get out of it.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 09:12:03 PM »

I went to Sam ash and I listen to the 2 subs
Qsc kw181
Ev ETX 18sp
Jbl SRX818SP

And I thought the ETX sounded the best ad I was able to get the best deal on that subwoofer like I said I won’t be doing big party’s or anything the party I will do in my will be around 45 50 ppl no more then 10ft-15ft away from the subwoofer and speakers so it shouldn’t be a problem. I ordered a new mixer mackie profx8 it has a HP built in. And a EQ. definitely made everything sound much better and a lot more control I have. I can also push the speakers much harder now that I have the HP. Once I get the subwoofer working with it it should sound pretty good. Deciding if I should get a crown or Samson amp that has crossover built in.
I also got a BBE sonic maxizer for fairly cheap so curious as to how it going to sound. But maybe it’s a gimmick will see. If I don’t like the ev I can swap it out for the jbl no problem but I didn’t feel or hear that much of a difference btw the ev and jbl. Jbl might get a tad louder but the ev sounded so good! My opinion. Hopefully I’ll get it next week and try it out in my house with my mains and let it rip and see what I can get out of it.

Return the Sonic Maximizer.  Don't even take it out of the box.  It's awful.  Psychologically you will think it works because it's louder when inserted.  You can do the same with the level and a touch of compression.

You really should call Mike Pyle and get a price on that sub.  Retail sucks. 

BTW this is why I hate answering these threads.  All the advice you received and you did what you wanted.  Emotional validation isn't my strong suit.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:15:11 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Frank Caridi

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 09:35:51 PM »

Return the Sonic Maximizer.  Don't even take it out of the box.  It's awful.  Psychologically you will think it works because it's louder when inserted.  You can do the same with the level and a touch of compression.

You really should call Mike Pyle and get a price on that sub.  Retail sucks. 

BTW this is why I hate answering these threads.  All the advice you received and you did what you wanted.  Emotional validation isn't my strong suit.

Yea that’s what I figured with the sonic maximizer. Prob will
I didn’t get the subs for retail cost. I got them discounted but the discount was better on the ev then the jbl. Well of course I’m going to do what I can afford and works best. I came here to have your guys thoughts of the subwoofer cause I figured you hear these things day in and day out. I listen to the subs at the store and liked the ev better. What was I suppose to do? The ev sounded deeper and smoother from what I heard. Grated when I get it in my hands I might not like it after I put it thru it’s paces then I will try the jbl. I like the jbl but I just liked the ev better. I prob could have even went with the ekx line and saved more but for the price I got the ETX was almost the price of the EXK. Who is mike? I could have rented but I rather own cause now I can use it for parties if I like it. Or just sell it off eventually. I’m here for help and experience with these. Yes I know my step up isn’t ideal but it’s not like I’m getting paid for this or anything I’m just playing music at my gf daughter baptism and I’m sure it will sound okay.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »

I ordered a new mixer mackie profx8 it has a HP built in. And a EQ. definitely made everything sound much better and a lot more control I have. I can also push the speakers much harder now that I have the HP.

The HPF in that mixer is at the wrong point in the signal chain to do what you need to protect & improve the sound/headroom of your RSX115s (at least, without unnecessarily convoluted wiring hijinks, which, even if utilized would still result in a highly compromised outcome).
You definitely still need a crossover after the desk and before the amp feeding those speakers.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2018, 06:31:17 PM »

I ordered a new mixer mackie profx8 it has a HP built in. And a EQ. definitely made everything sound much better and a lot more control I have. I can also push the speakers much harder now that I have the HP. Once I get the subwoofer working with it it should sound pretty good. Deciding if I should get a crown or Samson amp that has crossover built in.

I also got a BBE sonic maxizer for fairly cheap so curious as to how it going to sound. But maybe it’s a gimmick will see.
I'm not trying to be harsh but it's obvious from these statements that you don't really know exactly how this is all works. It doesn't matter if the sub you bought sounded the best if you're not going to set up the system properly. The HPF present on the channels of your mixer is of no use when setting up the system of subs and mids/highs. A BBE sonic maximizer is of no use then the sytem isn't going to set up properly to begin with.

At the very least you need to run your mixer outs to crossover. It can be an external crossover unit, or a crossover that's integrated into either the sub or the tops. Right now you have none of those options, as far as I can tell. You mention maybe purchasing a new amp with a built in crossover. The question there is will it provide through-put to the sub so that it's low-passed to work well with the main.

Typically manufacturers design their systems at this price point with the sub/top crossover integrated, so EV ETX subs and tops should work well together, QSC KW subs and tops, JBL SRX subs and tops, etc. I'm running JBL PRX712s over PRX718xlf subs. The mixer outs go to the subs. The sub handles the crossover duties and sends a high-passed signal to the tops. All of the engineering has been done by the manufacturer, you just plug cables in. This is the direction you should be looking to go in.

Sell all your tops and the amp and bring back the BBE. Buy the EV tops that match the sub. Done.

Frank Caridi

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2018, 06:04:27 AM »

The HPF in that mixer is at the wrong point in the signal chain to do what you need to protect & improve the sound/headroom of your RSX115s (at least, without unnecessarily convoluted wiring hijinks, which, even if utilized would still result in a highly compromised outcome).
You definitely still need a crossover after the desk and before the amp feeding those speakers.

I don’t get why tho if I use the HP on the mixer I send it to the mains and then I use the MON on the mixer and send the full signal to the subwoofer and use the subwoofers LP why wouldn’t that work. I also have a bit of EQ i can do to tam the highs mids and lows. Not trying to brush you off just trying to understand

Frank Caridi

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 06:13:59 AM »

I'm not trying to be harsh but it's obvious from these statements that you don't really know exactly how this is all works. It doesn't matter if the sub you bought sounded the best if you're not going to set up the system properly. The HPF present on the channels of your mixer is of no use when setting up the system of subs and mids/highs. A BBE sonic maximizer is of no use then the sytem isn't going to set up properly to begin with.

At the very least you need to run your mixer outs to crossover. It can be an external crossover unit, or a crossover that's integrated into either the sub or the tops. Right now you have none of those options, as far as I can tell. You mention maybe purchasing a new amp with a built in crossover. The question there is will it provide through-put to the sub so that it's low-passed to work well with the main.

Typically manufacturers design their systems at this price point with the sub/top crossover integrated, so EV ETX subs and tops should work well together, QSC KW subs and tops, JBL SRX subs and tops, etc. I'm running JBL PRX712s over PRX718xlf subs. The mixer outs go to the subs. The sub handles the crossover duties and sends a high-passed signal to the tops. All of the engineering has been done by the manufacturer, you just plug cables in. This is the direction you should be looking to go in.

Sell all your tops and the amp and bring back the BBE. Buy the EV tops that match the sub. Done.

I’m going to see what I can get for my speakers. All this gear I have I use in my theater at home. Maybe I’ll just buy a cross over and see if I can figure this out. What cross over do you recommend I buy that’s not to expensive and easy to understand. Thanks for your help. I know it’s all easy if I just had tops to go with the subwoofer cause then there nothing to really figure out just plug and play pretty much. I don’t have the money to go and spend 3000$ on new speakers for a 3 hr party where I will be badly blasting it. I played with the idea of the heat I have and how to set it up to sound best.

I can come out of the mains on the mixer to the amp then speakers and use the HP.
then come out of the MON channel straight to the subwoofer and use the internal crossover in the subwoofer for the LP.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 07:06:11 AM »

Grab a pair of ELX-200 10p (call Mike Pyle!). They will set you back about a grand.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 07:06:11 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.