ETX 18s active
- 2 (13.3%)
Jbl SRX818SP active
- 11 (73.3%)
Qsc KW181 active
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer advice  (Read 10662 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Subwoofer advice
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 01:27:38 PM »

Came across Pevey subwoofers look really promising

Peavey VersArray 118

Peavey QW 118
What do you guys think?

What looks promising to you about them?  Maybe if we understood your motivators.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Frank Caridi

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »

What looks promising to you about them?  Maybe if we understood your motivators.

They seem to be a step up from them but I think they will be to confusing for me to use with my system cause I will need a active crossover and that’s not something I want to get into right. Ow and another amp so to much money!

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 02:44:33 PM »

Yes when I was testing out the speakers the other day to see how they sound with my amp I used the 50hz cut off and ran my iPhone thru the input on the amp and I was cranking them and they sound great! Played them for about 45 min to hr around 100db and sounded good! I just want to add bass. So let’s say I just suck it up and get powered tops nothing crazy what could you recommend?
And if I do just use my speakers and I buy an active crossover I don’t need to buy an amp for the highs and lows and mids? I would just run out of the mixer into the crossover. Out of the crossover into the amp?

Frank, you go out of the board with the main signal to the crossover. From there you have a low out and a high out that go to your amp or amps, whichever is driving the tops or sub. You could also go out of the crossover to a powered sub. It's really quite simple, and on the crossover you will have a low & high volume knob to allow you to balance the subs & tops. Here is a cheap, simple crossover: https://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHCX2310?siid=7602&-4YmM2EKQ7g1Wku7Kn-9U9w9YQDiOOR-yoaAgKnEALw_wcB=

Regarding the sub choice I agree with those recommending a powered unit. I've used all 3 of those and they're all great. The SRX has a low input gain, so you have to drive it much harder to get the volume out of it, bit it delivers better than the others IMO. The KW118 would be a great choice as well, and would match up nicely with the newer K12.2 should you decide to upgrade your tops.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »

lets nail down a couple things.

1. Your current tops are lower end MI grade and are not to the performance spec of ANY of the subs you are looking at.

2. Not knowing what amp you are using for the tops, I would will a bet there is a crossover built into that amp though. Many these days do. We need to know the amp model though. Even if it doesn't, it is not the end of the world.

3. If you get any of the self powered subs, they will have a crossover for them already built in.

My 2 pennies on your sub choices.

The Peavey models are good, but they are not to the same spec ( or at least pedigree ) as the other options. So while budget may prevail in this case, I would not invest in Peavey unless you truly know what you are doing. They are actually pretty good, but they are not as turn key as the others.

EV is probably the best budget sub you can get. They sound good and perform well, but they are cheaper for a reason. The ones I have seen used went thermal under fairly normal conditions. They just don't quite have " IT ".

The QSC is a favorite because of its output and name. I am not a fan of them. I think they are a one note wonder and they have a sound to them, which I don't care for. They do perform well though and will get rather loud.

The JBL SRX is certainly the best in this list for many reasons. It is pretty much exactly what it says it is. It sounds really good and it performs really well. I own a pair and I love them. The DSP on them is worth the money. That being said, it is the one I would go with if I had the money.

There are some other options that you did not list, that I wouldn't rule out. The JBL PRX line is no slouch and would be a great option. There is RCF and DB Technologies as other choices, as well as Yorkville and believe it or not, Mackie.

The newest Mackie SRM series stuff is pretty good, and given a budget that will afford 1 JBL SRX, you could acquire 2 of the Mackie's for a little bit more.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Frank Caridi

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 03:31:06 PM »

Frank, you go out of the board with the main signal to the crossover. From there you have a low out and a high out that go to your amp or amps, whichever is driving the tops or sub. You could also go out of the crossover to a powered sub. It's really quite simple, and on the crossover you will have a low & high volume knob to allow you to balance the subs & tops. Here is a cheap, simple crossover: https://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHCX2310?siid=7602&-4YmM2EKQ7g1Wku7Kn-9U9w9YQDiOOR-yoaAgKnEALw_wcB=

Regarding the sub choice I agree with those recommending a powered unit. I've used all 3 of those and they're all great. The SRX has a low input gain, so you have to drive it much harder to get the volume out of it, bit it delivers better than the others IMO. The KW118 would be a great choice as well, and would match up nicely with the newer K12.2 should you decide to upgrade your tops.

Thank you! My thing is that the speakers are self contained it’s not like I’m putting the highs to the tweeter and mids and lows to the woofer in the speaker? I’m confused how I split the signal? From the crossover.

Frank Caridi

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 03:34:07 PM »

lets nail down a couple things.

1. Your current tops are lower end MI grade and are not to the performance spec of ANY of the subs you are looking at.

2. Not knowing what amp you are using for the tops, I would will a bet there is a crossover built into that amp though. Many these days do. We need to know the amp model though. Even if it doesn't, it is not the end of the world.

3. If you get any of the self powered subs, they will have a crossover for them already built in.

My 2 pennies on your sub choices.

The Peavey models are good, but they are not to the same spec ( or at least pedigree ) as the other options. So while budget may prevail in this case, I would not invest in Peavey unless you truly know what you are doing. They are actually pretty good, but they are not as turn key as the others.

EV is probably the best budget sub you can get. They sound good and perform well, but they are cheaper for a reason. The ones I have seen used went thermal under fairly normal conditions. They just don't quite have " IT ".

The QSC is a favorite because of its output and name. I am not a fan of them. I think they are a one note wonder and they have a sound to them, which I don't care for. They do perform well though and will get rather loud.

The JBL SRX is certainly the best in this list for many reasons. It is pretty much exactly what it says it is. It sounds really good and it performs really well. I own a pair and I love them. The DSP on them is worth the money. That being said, it is the one I would go with if I had the money.

There are some other options that you did not list, that I wouldn't rule out. The JBL PRX line is no slouch and would be a great option. There is RCF and DB Technologies as other choices, as well as Yorkville and believe it or not, Mackie.

The newest Mackie SRM series stuff is pretty good, and given a budget that will afford 1 JBL SRX, you could acquire 2 of the Mackie's for a little bit more.

Yes I know they aren’t the top tier of speakers  but theyy are decent and plus it’s what I have. I also have the alto Ts215 active.
But only one I can buy one more but I don’t think it will keep up with those subs and I think the RSX is better. Do you think the alto ts215 would be the way to go?

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »

Given that this is unlikely to be used as a long-term professional system, I'd suggest renting a sub. Day rate around here for a KW181 is $50/day.

If you absolutely must purchase a sub, I'd look at the Alto TSSUB18. It's $699 retail, and with any digging around, you can probably find a 10-20% discount coupon for use at Guitar Center, which lowers the price to around $600.

The TSSUB has L/R inputs and outputs. So, you could run the signal from your board out to the TSSUB, and then take the LPF output and run that to your amplifier for your tops. The sub would effectively do all of the crossover work.

Would require a few extra XLR cables, but might be the easiest method.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 04:26:23 PM »

They are barely mentioned here, but EV ETX-18SP do what I ask of them.

+1 on the ETX.

But for the original poster, rent or at least make a plan for what their "goal sound system" will look like.  I'm guessing the Samson tops aren't part of anyone's five year plan.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »

Yes I know they aren’t the top tier of speakers  but theyy are decent and plus it’s what I have. I also have the alto Ts215 active.
But only one I can buy one more but I don’t think it will keep up with those subs and I think the RSX is better. Do you think the alto ts215 would be the way to go?

They are not any tier.  They are simply a speaker you would not see anyone for hire show up with.  If you find the sound acceptable then you ear is not trained to pick up different types of distortion. 

You really need to decide what your goals are and not just to buy a sub.  You came to a professional forum, not the house of DJ misinformation.  Sorry if this is harsh.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 05:37:16 PM »

Hi Frank-

Watch out for The Anvil of Reality®.

If I understand correctly you want to provide some music for a relative's party.  You own some equipment already and want to add a subwoofer.  You're not especially technical and have time/budget constraints.

I'd suggest you rent.  Everything.  A pair of subs with 12" tops, speaker poles or stands... and use your DJ controller/mixer/PC as the input source.  Keep the system in the same model line and brand, i.e. JBL SRX800 or EV ETX or Yamaha DSR/DXR, etc.

First this takes care of ALL your technical concerns - the manufacturer has done all that pesky science stuff for us.  Second this will allow you to audition the equipment without further obligation; if you don't like it you just saved yourself a potential mistaken purchase.  Third this helps make you look like a pro to your family or client - you'll go from setting it in place to making sound in a much shorter time than trying to kluge together a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.

Finally, renting means you don't have to make a PURCHASE decision right this instant.  It takes off some of the pressure and that will let you devote more attention to the music and presentation you'd like to give.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 05:37:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.