ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic Bags / Cases  (Read 10153 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Mic Bags / Cases
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »

Mine are all in a toolbox with the stock pouches with the model paint-penned on them.
One box with instrument mics and DiS, one with Vox and spare clips.

Mic cases are like briefcases - the bigger it is the more you'll stuff into it.... leading you to get a yet larger case.  And it can happen even if you don't have Gear Acquisition Syndrome... really!

I have a 5 drawer 1/4 pack case that holds most of my mics in bags & J48 DIs.  Separate case for separately cased LDCs and the like, and a smaller Pelican case for a handful of "desert island" mics or things I need for a specific show.

Our shop has a mic drawer in each workbox that has holes for 57/58/SDC types, space for clips and Beta 52 size things go on top of the foam block.  DIs and specialty mics in another drawer.  Our work boxes are the size of a Clair S4... and weigh about the same.  I'm thinking your tool box is lighter... you need some more stuff, Dave. Trust me. ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:05:16 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:39 PM »

This topic came up about 18 months ago.  Here's my reply (and everybody else's):

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,161339.msg1483831.html#msg1483831

GTD

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 12:03:48 AM »

Are there any good cases out there for non-58-shaped mics?

I need something for e902s, e904s with clips, e906s, etc.  A bit of storage for things like LP Claws would be great, too.

I'm currently using handgun cases for mics shaped like 57s and small diaphragm condensers. I guess that will work for the 609/906 shape also.   I keep my RE20 and 421s in their original cases and throw those cases in a suitcase.

I've been thinking about getting some Pelican-style tool boxes with the little foam cubes for my Sennheisers e-mics.  They're on sale this week at Crappy Tire.  Can I do better in the $150 price range?

You most certainly can do better than $150 for a nice case. Here's one of my cases. Actual Pelican case I purchased from a place in Phoenix, AZ called K&S Surplus. I purchase this case for $40 (along with many others) and drilled and cut my own shapes I needed.
Great guys to buy from and they ship nationwide. I have family in that area and visit every so often and pick some cases up when I'm there. Always a huge selection of different sizes, shapes, etc. Warehouse full of cases.

Here's a different view of the case on the left, sorry not the greatest photo...

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »

TCH sells these precut foam drop in style mic holders. For average size mics it takes two of them stacked to hold the mic. There are inserts in each mic hole to adjust for mic size.
I have used these to repurpose other cases into a mic case.

http://www.tchweb.com/tchstore/product/509-4425/c905/30pc-Microphone-Holder-insert.html

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »

You most certainly can do better than $150 for a nice case. Here's one of my cases. Actual Pelican case I purchased from a place in Phoenix, AZ called K&S Surplus. I purchase this case for $40 (along with many others) and drilled and cut my own shapes I needed.
Great guys to buy from and they ship nationwide. I have family in that area and visit every so often and pick some cases up when I'm there. Always a huge selection of different sizes, shapes, etc. Warehouse full of cases.

I found when cutting holes in foam for my DSLR lenses, to use a hole saw and run it in reverse.  The teeth still cut the foam, but don't grab the foam as running the hole saw in the proper direction would.  The holes are quite nice, surprisingly.  The denser the foam, the better the hole.
Cheap holesaws from Harbor Freight work fine. 
Also working with multiple layers of 1" or 2" foam allows more control over depth and hole size as you go deeper into the foam.
Then if you want the stack to be more stable, glue the foam together.  Be cautious here and test the compatibility of the glue and foam on test pieces.  Some glues dissolve the foam. 

frank
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:34:39 AM by frank kayser »

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 03:11:14 PM »

I'm in the Custom Pelican camp.  I find that having all the mics visible at a glance, kept with their clips, is a great benefit.  I used to keep all mics in labelled pouches, but found that searching through them for the right piece was a time-suck on both ends of the gig.  I used the standard pick-n-pluck, but I agree custom cutouts would be better if you had the time and inclination.  I made a removable tray to better use the volume of my Peli 1560 (may have gotten that idea from another user who posted in that earlier thread).  The Lid Organizer mesh pocket thing is totally worth it.  Chose a color-other-than-black to make it less likely to get mixed up with others..

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 03:25:23 PM »

I'm thinking your tool box is lighter... you need some more stuff, Dave. Trust me. ;)

Workin' on it. :D
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mal Brown

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 05:53:46 PM »

I spent up and bought a 24 hole, 2 Chamber EwI from AudioPile.  SDC’s and e604’s go under the slots.  Approx 10 channels DI fit in the other chamber along with a couple of 421’s stored with their clips in 58 sized bags.  A ton of gear stored in a small box.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 11:25:46 AM »

I spent up and bought a 24 hole, 2 Chamber EwI from AudioPile.  SDC’s and e604’s go under the slots.  Approx 10 channels DI fit in the other chamber along with a couple of 421’s stored with their clips in 58 sized bags.  A ton of gear stored in a small box.
I've thought about getting that one but I'm not sure if it's big enough.

I have 25 channels of DI (11 directors, 1 Direct II, 2 Type 85, 2 J48 and one 8 channel SM Pro DI8)

The DI 8 lives in a skb rack with it's own sub snakes(I wish I had bought 2 of them before they were discontinued). But space for 16 DI's was hard to find.  I've moved them into my work box and still trying to figure out best solution for Mics.  Eventually it might be the work box but need to figure out best storage/access solution.  Even with just mics in the EWI case, it's getting tight.  GAS is a serious issue!!!

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »

YUP exactly what I did -
At one point I was thinking a rack drawer in Amp rack of PA but then I thought we can get this 24 hole case that we cab roll around and place it anywhere - on top of a chair or anywhere

One of my best purchases ever  -

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.