ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic Bags / Cases  (Read 10147 times)

Wes Garland

Mic Bags / Cases
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:08:05 AM »

Are there any good cases out there for non-58-shaped mics?

I need something for e902s, e904s with clips, e906s, etc.  A bit of storage for things like LP Claws would be great, too.

I'm currently using handgun cases for mics shaped like 57s and small diaphragm condensers. I guess that will work for the 609/906 shape also.   I keep my RE20 and 421s in their original cases and throw those cases in a suitcase.

I've been thinking about getting some Pelican-style tool boxes with the little foam cubes for my Sennheisers e-mics.  They're on sale this week at Crappy Tire.  Can I do better in the $150 price range?

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
Re: Mic Bags / Cases
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:15:56 AM »

I need something for e902s, e904s with clips, e906s, etc.  A bit of storage for things like LP Claws would be great, too.

I'm currently using handgun cases for mics shaped like 57s and small diaphragm condensers. I guess that will work for the 609/906 shape also.   I keep my RE20 and 421s in their original cases and throw those cases in a suitcase.

I've been thinking about getting some Pelican-style tool boxes with the little foam cubes for my Sennheisers e-mics.  They're on sale this week at Crappy Tire.  Can I do better in the $150 price range?

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/RtUAAOSwt7pXL7N-/s-l225.jpg

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:43 AM »

Find a suitable used Pelican case(ebay, Craigslist, etc.), then look into custom cut foam inserts for it.  MT Cases will do inserts based on your needs, Pelican has a custom foam department, and there are companies like this that will do so as well, even providing design helper apps:
https://www.mycasebuilder.com/

At least you can save some money buying a used cased, and then justify the expense of the custom insert.

Otherwise, you can buy replacement "pick and pluck" foam inserts for Pelican cases and do it your self.

Best regards,

John

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 09:28:14 AM »

The Gator G-Tour mic case I have is nice. It'll hold e609's and D6's, and would probably be fine with the RE20 and 421. The version with the side compartment only holds 15 mics, which may or not be enough for you. They have a plastic version that holds 30, but doesn't have a compartment. Although, you can get 2-3 pencil condensers in one mic hole if you want to.

I've never found a great solution for 604's or 904's with clips attached. I kind of just shove them in wherever they fit best.

If you get a case with pick and pluck foam, a good trick is to "paint" it with spray-on Plastidip. I've never done it, but a friend of mine did and said it worked great. It keeps the foam from falling apart. There are a few videos on Youtube.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 06:08:36 PM »

I currently have the ewi (audiopile) mic case.  It holds 24 mics plus a side compartment.  It has 4 slots for 57s and the rest for 58 type mics.  I put the non 58 type mics (609, 604, Beta 91, beta 52 and all my pencil mics) in pouches and stick them in the side compartment.  All your mic clips and lp claws can fit under the foam where the mics stand upright.  A pelican solution would be nice though.  At least it would hopefully have wheels and the custom foam would be nice as well.  Just try to think ahead as far as what you might buy in the future.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »

My favorite Houston based mega cooler company is now selling Pelican-alike hard cases, for a really good price. I haven't had a chance to buy one yet, so not sure of the build. But take a look.

RTIC hard cases
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jim Conaty

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »

Harbor Freight has cases similar to Pelican at reduced prices.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-watertight-protective-case-16-516-in-63927.html

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 06:45:15 PM »

I find that finding a suitable case isn't as difficult as the custom foam insert. My experience with the Pick 'n' Pluck stuff is that it falls apart but if I pay big $$ to get a custom insert then the mic package is likely to change. Like many here, I can't think of a good solution.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 07:53:05 PM »

I currently have the ewi (audiopile) mic case.  It holds 24 mics plus a side compartment.  It has 4 slots for 57s and the rest for 58 type mics.  I put the non 58 type mics (609, 604, Beta 91, beta 52 and all my pencil mics) in pouches and stick them in the side compartment.  All your mic clips and lp claws can fit under the foam where the mics stand upright.  A pelican solution would be nice though.  At least it would hopefully have wheels and the custom foam would be nice as well.  Just try to think ahead as far as what you might buy in the future.

I have a similar EWI mic case, but with two side compartments. Non-57/58 sized mics go into labeled pouches, but I bet handgun cases would fit in the compartments, too. The case I have has bogie wheels, not unlike a wheeled Peli-style case.  For a small operator like me, it works pretty well, and matches similar EWI cases I use for other things.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:56:28 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:48:28 PM »

Mine are all in a toolbox with the stock pouches with the model paint-penned on them.
One box with instrument mics and DiS, one with Vox and spare clips.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:48:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.