ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: labeling multi layered consoles  (Read 1604 times)

John Daniluk (JD)

labeling multi layered consoles
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »

I need suggestions for labeling layered consoles for volunteers to be able to work. Most work is line check and go.   Talking heads/band type of work.  Inputs changing during operation etc.  Monitors may be from FOH.

4 to 6 different operators per day.

Thanks

jd

Stephen Kirby

Re: labeling multi layered consoles
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 02:30:14 PM »

Are you referring to something like a Soundcraft Expression that doesn't have scribble strips?

I bought those cute magnetic labels for mine but find that I rarely use them.  Good old tape with a line between what is on each layer.  Layers vertically in the same sequence as the buttons.  Don't need to directly identify layer B or C.  If it's on the second row, it's layer B.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 02:30:32 PM »

I need suggestions for labeling layered consoles for volunteers to be able to work. Most work is line check and go.   Talking heads/band type of work.  Inputs changing during operation etc.  Monitors may be from FOH.

4 to 6 different operators per day.

Thanks

jd

I’m assuming you don’t have digital scribble strips.  I always used tape and a sharpie.  You gotta write small.  Worked fine on an 01v96 at multiple locations for years.  You’ll never get idiot proof if you don’t have flying faders and digital scribble strip.

What console are you using anyways?

Alex Kiwerski

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 02:37:39 PM »

Are you referring to something like a Soundcraft Expression that doesn't have scribble strips?

I bought those cute magnetic labels for mine but find that I rarely use them.  Good old tape with a line between what is on each layer.  Layers vertically in the same sequence as the buttons.  Don't need to directly identify layer B or C.  If it's on the second row, it's layer B.

I've done this myself even on boards with scribble strips.  Much faster for "line check and go"-type gigs. 

I believe JD is using an X32 in this particular case, which does not have a great means of entering channel names on the scribble strips if you are not using a laptop or iPad with it.

John Daniluk (JD)

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »

Behringer x32,  Yamaha ls9 set for 40 ch,  24 outs, Yamaha m7cl  this one is not a problem  set for 48 in 20 out,  Yamaha m7cl with 2 Aviom cards 9monitor use only)  no problems.

The behringer x32 and the ls9 are the main problems at this time.  The volunteer operators are SUPPOSED to stay out of the console sends.   

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 03:50:03 PM »

I've been putting my drum channels on layer 2 with a VCA on fader one/ layer one.
That leaves room for everything else on the top layer.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »

A quick way to change label tapes without destroying them is to cut strips of refrigerator magnet material and attach your write on tape to those.  Easy then to lift the strip and stick it else where for another set up or to create an above the fader and below the fader strip.  Also great for labeling UDKs and changing out the labels between users and such.  Use a label maker and keep a few ready made UDK sets on the magnet strips.  The refrigerator magnet material usually comes in dry erase surface material on one side so that console tape is fairly removable if done in less than 24 hours.  The longer it stays adhered the harder to remove just like on a painted surface.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 05:11:30 PM »

Top layer written on tape above the faders, bottom layer written tape below the faders. The LS9 has just enough space for 3/4" board tape.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 08:57:42 PM »

I've been putting my drum channels on layer 2 with a VCA on fader one/ layer one.
That leaves room for everything else on the top layer.

I kinda like that idea  8) .

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

John Daniluk (JD)

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 08:51:15 AM »

thanks   jd

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 08:51:15 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.