ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Left Coast Re-Cone Recommendation  (Read 1728 times)

Mike Karseboom

Left Coast Re-Cone Recommendation
« on: April 15, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »

I have an 18Sound 18w1000 subwoofer driver that needs re-coning and a second that is probably on the way out. 

Shipping will probably be expensive as these weigh close to 30 lb each, so hoping to find someone close to Weed, CA.   I am pretty sure I don't want to try re-coning myself.

Any recommendations for a service provider?
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Left Coast Re-Cone Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »

I have an 18Sound 18w1000 subwoofer driver that needs re-coning and a second that is probably on the way out. 

Shipping will probably be expensive as these weigh close to 30 lb each, so hoping to find someone close to Weed, CA.   I am pretty sure I don't want to try re-coning myself.

Any recommendations for a service provider?

Try calling Speakerworks in Eugene, OR.  I haven't used them but a buddy gave them a thumbs up.  Not sure if he bought parts from them or had them recone...

Neals Speaker Repair in Colfax, CA does mostly vintage work but might be able to help or suggest another shop.

When I lived in the Bay Area I took my EV reconing to Bill Graham's FM Productions.... but that, as they say, dates me...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 06:18:49 PM »

I'm not sure if A Brown Soun is still aroun.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 12:42:00 AM »

That was my thought.  Maybe call Bananas At Large and see if they know what happened to those folks.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:04:40 AM »

OC Speaker split into GLS Audio and these guys. It's where I've taken my stuff for years, but it's away down south. They may be able to refer you to someone, though.

http://www.speakerrepairpros.com

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Ken Braziel

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:31:45 AM »

Nope, the owner died a few years ago & his son wasn't interested in taking over the business.

Source: worked there for about a year, during the time they developed the Tone Tubby hemp-fiber speakers, still have some prototypes in my bass rig and a couple of Apogee monitors. Had to leave because they couldn't pay enough to justify the commute between Sonoma and Marin county.

Edit: looks like the site is just an outlet for whoever is making the Tone Tubbys now: http://www.abrown.com

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 01:26:24 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  So far   speakerrepairpros have presented themselves as the most professional and competent.  I have not had re-cones done before but it does seem that you want a really top notch job or your diver will not be "good as new".

Unfortunately the OEM re-cone kit and service will be about $275 + shipping for each driver.  This driver is a fairly high quality unit and has performed very well. But it is sort of at the crossroads cost wise where simply replacing it with the same current model will only cost a little more than re-coning.

These are my carpet covered "beater" subs (look like the Yamaha club 118V).  I bought them used specifically to just leave in place in a  venue that is now fading in popularity.  I got my ROI several times over but now I will probably just put these away until some special deal on drivers comes my way.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »

Unfortunately the OEM re-cone kit and service will be about $275 + shipping for each driver.  This driver is a fairly high quality unit and has performed very well. But it is sort of at the crossroads cost wise where simply replacing it with the same current model will only cost a little more than re-coning.
Ouch, $275 for a 7mm Xmax driver recone + shipping on top.

Parts express sells the Dayton PA460-8 18" (6mm Xmax) for $99.85, free shipping over $100 (buy 15 cents of "expendables", save $20 in shipping..).
Not quite as good a driver as an 18Sound 18w100, but would fill the hole in a "beater" sub without much of a hole in your pocket.

Art

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 07:14:21 PM »

OC Speaker split into GLS Audio and these guys. It's where I've taken my stuff for years, but it's away down south. They may be able to refer you to someone, though.

http://www.speakerrepairpros.com
Good to know.  I've had a few things done down there.  Even had the local folks send things to them instead of doing themselves.
Last time I contacted OCSR about something they just said they didn't do re-coning any more.  No mention of the other folks.  Wonder what happened.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »

Their lead repair guy is the new company, Speaker Repair Pros. He bought out OS Speaker's inventory of recone kits and moved to a new shop. The rest of the company decided it was more profitable to import Chinese cables as GLS. It's decent stuff for the money.

I found out one day when I showed up without calling to drop off a recone. Hadn't been there in a while because I'm normally pretty easy on my stuff, but I was using an EAW sub in anger and let the magic smoke out. . .

FWIW, RCF redone is about the same as the 18sound mentioned above. They use OEM redone kits and regauss the magnets if they got too hot. . .

Good to know.  I've had a few things done down there.  Even had the local folks send things to them instead of doing themselves.
Last time I contacted OCSR about something they just said they didn't do re-coning any more.  No mention of the other folks.  Wonder what happened.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.