ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Seismic Snake Products and carrying small IEM monitor rig  (Read 5936 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: Seismic Snake Products and carrying small IEM monitor rig
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 08:26:39 AM »

Regardless of how you configure your IEM system make sure it is in working condition every time you use it and at least one person with your group know how to trouble shoot a problem in the system.

Damn you Mike for bringing up a great point.  We had a national act about 7 years ago came in with a LS9 for monitors and a Sennheiser IEM rack.  Their monitor guy was sick and didn't travel to the festival that day, which we found out when they arrived.  No problem, I can handle an LS9.  Anyway long story short everything worked except the stars IEMs.  Three transmitters and they would not work.  We told them to check the channel between his IEM pack and the receiver and we were ignored.  He starts the show mad and on monitors, because his tech couldn't get them set.  I had a pack to my tech on the first song say figure it out.  He sets the pack to the receiver and we get them on the artist.  No your gear or have someone who does with you.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 08:43:23 AM »

Seismic definately not. With so many using digital / cat setups I'd think you could find a good used Whirlwind pretty easily.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »

On something that is subject to physical abuse (a snake moving/pathed/unpatched)  all the time, I would NOT go for a cheap quality product, especially for something as cheap as a snake.

Everything that is skimped on, is the exact thing that will give you trouble, small wire, thin strain relief, connectors etc.

Send a little bit extra to make your life a lot easier.

Once you have to replace it, you will have spent more money that it would take to do it right the first time.

Buy once/cry once.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »

Damn you Mike for bringing up a great point.  We had a national act about 7 years ago came in with a LS9 for monitors and a Sennheiser IEM rack.  Their monitor guy was sick and didn't travel to the festival that day, which we found out when they arrived.  No problem, I can handle an LS9.  Anyway long story short everything worked except the stars IEMs.  Three transmitters and they would not work.  We told them to check the channel between his IEM pack and the receiver and we were ignored.  He starts the show mad and on monitors, because his tech couldn't get them set.  I had a pack to my tech on the first song say figure it out.  He sets the pack to the receiver and we get them on the artist.  No your gear or have someone who does with you.

Bill

Yep! Every band who is playing out at semi pro or higher level shows and is carrying a system of some sort needs to have someone with them knows more than where the power switch is and how to run it when everything is working perfect. That takes someone who knows every nut, bolt, signal flow and component of the system.

Even though the problem is with the band equipment guess where the fingers of blame will be pointed!

We as sound providers will pitch in, make their system work for the show so they can move on to the next show and repeat the process again.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:11:27 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 11:29:41 AM »

Regardless of how you configure your IEM system make sure it is in working condition every time you use it and at least one person with your group know how to trouble shoot a problem in the system.

This still make me shake my head. When I got started years ago, I first learned to set up the system, power, signal flow and basic gain staging and trouble shooting, before I ever touched a fader. I’m still surprised at how many just don’t know how or why things work the way they do.

We put these packages together and lease them out to the bands.  It's been a good growth sector for us.  You may want to talk to your local provider.

Self contained mic + IEM package for long term lease. I like this!
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 01:05:32 PM »

Yep! Every band who is playing out at semi pro or higher level shows and is carrying a system of some sort needs to have someone with them knows more than where the power switch is and how to run it when everything is working perfect. That takes someone who knows every nut, bolt, signal flow and component of the system.

Even though the problem is with the band equipment guess where the fingers of blame will be pointed!

We as sound providers will pitch in, make their system work for the show so they can move on to the next show and repeat the process again.

I did mention a  honed-over-time-and-practiced scene.  I did not mean that to be a be-all end-all. Of  course, one must adjust to the venue.  A saved scene would be a starting point with me as a dedicated mixperson, not on stage, not part of the performing band.  In our case, between me and the bass player, the actual owner of the equipment, we have two to handle just about anything that comes up, including an unexpected absence. 

IF one brings their own gear, one must be able to support it completely.

frank

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »

This still make me shake my head. When I got started years ago, I first learned to set up the system, power, signal flow and basic gain staging and trouble shooting, before I ever touched a fader. I’m still surprised at how many just don’t know how or why things work the way they do.

Don't you realize that many people ONLY want to "MIX THE BIG ROCK BAND and meet the girls?

They have no reason to learn how things work or how to fix them, they just want to mix, and they "think" they know everything about acoustics and how loudspeaker behave, but have never looked at anything scientific, or attended a class etc and simply don't CARE to take any time to actually LEARN.  That is boring.

They just "go by feel" and HOPE it turns out right.

HOWEVER-learning the basics will carry you A LOT further, with the ability to many different jobs.

To bad many don't feel that way, or want to learn.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 02:09:22 PM »

This is more of a "ditto" post...

Geri, you know how to troubleshoot and maintain stuff better than some of the respondents and you also know how to mix.  You know how to package gear in sensible ways.

As the system provider at your gig du jour I'd hope to get a split from you - all inputs needed for an FOH mix.  I'm not concerned with how you do that unless there are problems with *my* side of the split.  If you're playing more suspect venues or engagements I'll also support the folks that suggest a L/R mix to the house and making the best of it.

We see 3 types of band IEM rigs - the complete package of stage stuff & console/IEM/wedges; the "we need stands, power, mic cables and subsnakes" (because they're carrying stuff in a bus bay); and "where do you want our IEM rack?" that contains nothing but transmitters and maybe a combiner & TX antenna.

Obviously we like the first scenario and so do the bands that can carry gear of that level (X32 rack or SC48 doesn't matter) - it's consistent, repeatable, and everything is packaged for quick deployment and removal and if it's a support act, easier to manage the set changes.  The second type is probably the most common - they carry mics, DIs and a mixer/splitter and need our stage infrastructure.  The last type is our least-favorite as it puts the onus to recreate the mixes on our ME while monitoring with IEM drivers different from the  bands, or headphones.

I'd try to steer the band leader in the direction of non-Seismic everything/anything.  It's unadulterated, full on SHIT.  My boss bought some stuff for evaluation and I'm slowing pitching it into the recycle bin.  None of my crew will use any of it because they don't want to take heat from performers for the boss's purchase "thrift" when it becomes intermittent (the most common failure).

"The lure of easy money has a very strong appeal...."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »

I did mention a  honed-over-time-and-practiced scene.  I did not mean that to be a be-all end-all. Of  course, one must adjust to the venue.  A saved scene would be a starting point with me as a dedicated mixperson, not on stage, not part of the performing band.  In our case, between me and the bass player, the actual owner of the equipment, we have two to handle just about anything that comes up, including an unexpected absence. 

IF one brings their own gear, one must be able to support it completely.

frank
Great points. The band i mainly work with has a system put together by the owner of the iem system. Hand me a snake and i am done. If i am not getting a signal he is the first one i go to. If all is well on his end i look into mine. He used those splitter racks, groups of 8. Many times problems are just pushing in connectors that worked loose. He buys good gear but i don't get the non locking connectors on so many products. All that said, seezmic gear is bellow entry level.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 05:25:19 PM »

Don't you realize that many people ONLY want to "MIX THE BIG ROCK BAND and meet the girls?

They have no reason to learn how things work or how to fix them, they just want to mix, and they "think" they know everything about acoustics and how loudspeaker behave, but have never looked at anything scientific, or attended a class etc and simply don't CARE to take any time to actually LEARN.  That is boring.

They just "go by feel" and HOPE it turns out right.

HOWEVER-learning the basics will carry you A LOT further, with the ability to many different jobs.

To bad many don't feel that way, or want to learn.

To this post and the 2-3 before it....

I promise you, I got this... ;D ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 05:25:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.