ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back in the Saddle  (Read 1782 times)

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
Back in the Saddle
« on: April 22, 2018, 12:19:14 AM »

After a few years of semi retirement I'm back doing live sound on a regular basis. This time it's a performing arts center in an institute of higher learning rather than bands in bars. No more van full of gear, but I have to (get to) enter the 21st century and learn to mix live on a digital console. Also, I'm having to dredge up all that theater lingo I used to know, much of it learned here on this forum. Should be interesting.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Back in the Saddle
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 01:00:31 AM »

Once your Digital Indoctrination is complete you will welcome our new robot overlords.  ;)

Welcome back!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 02:26:47 AM »

Here is this for some help with the stage terms:
https://binged.it/2qR8sVU
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »

Once your Digital Indoctrination is complete you will welcome our new robot overlords.  ;)

Welcome back!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty deep in digital in the studio, but live digital mixing is new for me. Fortunately, having followed digital boards since Evan Kirkendall's early days with the O1V I at least have the concepts down.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 02:13:33 PM »

Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »

Here is this for some help with the stage terms:
https://binged.it/2qR8sVU

You should have seen the TD's face when he told me to spike the stage and I grabbed a sledge and railroad spikes.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »

... and learn to mix live on a digital console.

I've got that same console (Bob Leonard's hand-me-down) and have found it to be reasonably intuitive.  Happy mixing!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »

You should have seen the TD's face when he told me to spike the stage and I grabbed a sledge and railroad spikes.

I thought it involved rum or grain alcohol....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty deep in digital in the studio, but live digital mixing is new for me. Fortunately, having followed digital boards since Evan Kirkendall's early days with the O1V I at least have the concepts down.

Lots of brand/model reviews on the forums and hints & tips as well.  I doubt you'll have much in the way of trouble considering you're not starting from scratch.

If you're on the Soundcraft in the pics...  My primary complaint is the tiny screen and some of the setup stuff is too easy (it's not complicated, it can't be right!) and therefore non-intuitive to me... ;)  Seriously, you'll like the results even if you end up not so keen on the process.

Speaking of 01V... I still have mine and my 01v96II.  Still going strong though seldom used.

John Fruits

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »

For more on technical terms, this is very helpful if a bit British:THEATRECRAFTS
A couple of notes, this theatrecrafts is no relationship of the one time US magazine of the same name and it is also http: and not https: so it might have issues on some browsers.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.