ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a new wireless mic to replace Sennheiser EW100.  (Read 9267 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Suggestions for a new wireless mic to replace Sennheiser EW100.
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 06:02:28 PM »

Some wireless microphones have coded tone squelch which helps matters as the receiver will not un-mute unless the tone is present, also makes it possible to do silent switching on of the transmitter as it can listen for the code and then switch the audio output on, not switching on the moment it sees any signal of the correct frequency.

Actually the pilot tone can be turned on and off on the G2 and G3 transmitters, that could be something to check.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2018, 02:07:00 AM »

Actually the pilot tone can be turned on and off on the G2 and G3 transmitters, that could be something to check.

More importantly, this receiver can also have its pilot tone detection turned off (at which point it doesn't matter what the transmitter is set for). For this combination of gear the pilot tone setting should be "on" for both the RX and the TX.

-Russ

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:41 AM »

I checked the singers mic last night real quick and can confirm that the squelch is set at medium (choice of low, med, high) and the pilot is on.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »

What is the receiver setting on or near.

A few years ago, actually more than a few at this point I found I could not set my Sennheiser 300 G2 receiver on top of my Tascam CD recorder while it was in the record mode.

The wireless mic worked fine but when you would turn of the transmitter even the highest squelch would not block the interference from the CD recorder. Lifting the receiver even just an inch away from the recorder cleared up the problem, needless to say I moved it much further than and inch away!

The distance between the transmitter and the receiver was fairly short so that's how it did work in the fist place.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »

What is the receiver setting on or near.

A few years ago, actually more than a few at this point I found I could not set my Sennheiser 300 G2 receiver on top of my Tascam CD recorder while it was in the record mode.

The wireless mic worked fine but when you would turn of the transmitter even the highest squelch would not block the interference from the CD recorder. Lifting the receiver even just an inch away from the recorder cleared up the problem, needless to say I moved it much further than and inch away!

The distance between the transmitter and the receiver was fairly short so that's how it did work in the fist place.

It usually is placed on a pelican cable box at the back of the stage and has less risk of interference than anything else we use - yet it causes the most problems....
It's worth noting that no other wireless mic system we use in either of the 2 main bands we run causes any issues like this one does. The only RF issues I have had from the other mics have been rare drop outs  - NEVER loud squealing or pops like this one does.
I will add that the last few shows have been OK but it is random and I never know when the next unexpected loud pop will occur and take out one of my horns.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »

It usually is placed on a pelican cable box at the back of the stage and has less risk of interference than anything else we use - yet it causes the most problems....
It's worth noting that no other wireless mic system we use in either of the 2 main bands we run causes any issues like this one does. The only RF issues I have had from the other mics have been rare drop outs  - NEVER loud squealing or pops like this one does.
I will add that the last few shows have been OK but it is random and I never know when the next unexpected loud pop will occur and take out one of my horns.

It should have gone to Sennheiser USA after the 3rd time.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2018, 04:30:50 PM »

It should have gone to Sennheiser USA after the 3rd time.

I agree Tim.

Jay Marr

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2018, 09:21:09 PM »

I'm surprised to hear that many have had issues with Senny.
I got a G1 system with the 845 capsule and I have used it for well over 10 years, 75-100 gigs per year.
I have not had a single drop out, interference, squelch, pop....and the mic sounds excellent.
I have a few spare grills and will swap them out to clean.  Other than the fact that I have worn the paint off the thing at this point, I couldn't be happier.
It is the single oldest piece of gear I still gig with (and I have never even thought about changing it...but will need to soon as it's in the 600 range)

Beta58 is my second favorite (still have an old one), so that's a solid suggestion as well and the GLX-D Advanced looks nice.

Apparently I forgot to knock on wood.
Listening back to this past weekend's gig and I hear some 'static' in the mix.
I go back and isolate tracks, and it's coming from my mic at 2 random points of the night..?!
I record about every other gig, and this is the first time I've ever heard anything other than a nice clear signal from my Senny.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2018, 09:21:09 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.