ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a new wireless mic to replace Sennheiser EW100.  (Read 9262 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Suggestions for a new wireless mic to replace Sennheiser EW100.
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »

Everyone seems to be ignoring the obvious - what was wrong with the Senny?  It sounds like an RF coordination or coax cable issue to start with...

If the singer feels burned by Sennheiser, I understand, but it strikes me as a combination of undiagnosed RF problem and user error.
Agreed.  Where was the squelch set?  If still at factory default, that's your problem.  I'd keep the Rx and just swap out the capsule for an E935. 

The next step up in my opinion is QLX-D with SM86 or KSM9. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 06:34:18 PM »

Everyone seems to be ignoring the obvious - what was wrong with the Senny?  It sounds like an RF coordination or coax cable issue to start with...

If the singer feels burned by Sennheiser, I understand, but it strikes me as a combination of undiagnosed RF problem and user error.

You beat me to the same question!

Squelch set too low on the receiver and letting noise through when the transmitter is off.

Transmitter trim set too high and overloading the transmitter.

Rf interference that is on or close to the frequency your using.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 06:36:39 PM »

Likely just the squelch setting. But it could also be a counterfeit piece of junk.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »

Yeahhhh I was gonna ask the same question, Tim. I'm wondering if it's a G1, G2 or G3 series. If G1, I could see some flakiness, but if G2 or G3, OE seems to be more likely than failure of the actual equipment.

The Senny gear has interchangeable capsules as well, so you can order a nicer one if you're not satisfied with the e835. Beyond that, if there's a challenging RF environment, A1031-U or A2003 antenna might be a good purchase before just replacing the entire system, and would be cheaper.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 07:03:10 PM »

It suffers from something I have seen mentioned here before - the RF noise when muted. It has caught me out a few times - I mute the channel my end and will NOT unmute until I see her do the same first. This only happens with this wireless mic. It also makes these weird loud pops through the PA every so often... It's been a real problem sometimes.
Plus it doesn't suit her voice - plain and simple.
On the rare occasion, when she couldn't use it and she has had to use a wired mic, her voice sounds SO much better - even through an SM58. So maybe it has never been right from new.....
I have set it up a couple of times and given it a clean etc, set up gain structure but its still not right....
Getting a 'better' system can only be a bonus as far as I'm concerned..

edit : One more thing - even when that mic is the only wireless device on the stage, it will squeal and pop...
I have had sound guys come to me at shows in places with in house systems where I haven't been mixing but the guys know I usually do, and they have complained about that mic... noises and sound quality.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:06:24 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »

It suffers from something I have seen mentioned here before - the RF noise when muted. It has caught me out a few times - I mute the channel my end and will NOT unmute until I see her do the same first. This only happens with this wireless mic. It also makes these weird loud pops through the PA every so often... It's been a real problem sometimes.
Plus it doesn't suit her voice - plain and simple.
On the rare occasion, when she couldn't use it and she has had to use a wired mic, her voice sounds SO much better - even through an SM58. So maybe it has never been right from new.....
I have set it up a couple of times and given it a clean etc, set up gain structure but its still not right....
Getting a 'better' system can only be a bonus as far as I'm concerned..

edit : One more thing - even when that mic is the only wireless device on the stage, it will squeal and pop...
I have had sound guys come to me at shows in places with in house systems where I haven't been mixing but the guys know I usually do, and they have complained about that mic... noises and sound quality.

Either defective or counterfeit and I'm leaning to the counterfeit.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:04 PM »

Where was it purchased from? [Often the 'foreign import' counterfeits, i.e. from China, or whatever, won't even power on because you won't have the right AC supply for it.]

-Ray "knows from experience" Aberle
Kelcema Audio

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 07:43:56 PM »

Being counterfeit would be the perfect thing to blame all the problems on  - but I believe it came from one of the 2 local stores we have here - Sam Ash or GC.
She used to have the same model (or its predecessor)  but the mic was stolen at a  show. I ran sound for them a bunch of times using the old mic and it was never a problem. This was the replacement.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 08:22:21 PM »

I get the whole 'fix the problem, no need to buy new,' but I seriously doubt that is the case. The older senny's just go bad for whatever reason.

I have two old g1/g2 ew100's that are intermittent even at 5ft also in illegal freq bands, now, haven't used in years so that wasn't the problem before.

Church asked me to look at their wireless. Old G1/EW100 I took my freq scanner and tested EVERYTHING. Finally just said put the receiver on stage and hope to get some more life out of it, but it might just be their time...

Buying a new system fixes issues like that. It's also shiny ;)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 08:46:22 PM »

I disagree that (IN GENERAL) they "just go bad, for whatever reason." I have 9 channels of EW100/G3, ranging in age from 5 to 9 years old. Now, granted they've not seen a whole lot of use ever since I started buying into QLX-D/ULX-D, but I just had 6 combo packs of these Sennheisers out on a corporate show last month with great results. (The caveat, "in general" meaning that you could have a fluke. But I wouldn't unequivocally state this over the whole line.)

The symptoms being reported (random RF dropouts and/or interference) really sound more like environmental issues to me.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 08:46:22 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.