ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OK to position 2 x Apple Airport Express routers next to each other?  (Read 6882 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: OK to position 2 x Apple Airport Express routers next to each other?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »

Debbie, no surprise with successful dual APE deployment. However my point is to reduce the use of two APEs, WAPs, or WiFi routers to only ONE active WAP for ONE network. To make use of what you already posses, one of your APEs, LAN to XYZ unmanaged switch or router, LAN to lamp dongles, LAN to digi-mixer du jour, resulting in ONE network, with TWO lighting universes, digi-mixer du jour, and any number of GUI devices, and a redundant APE.

Sorry, you lost me - LOL.... How can I use what I have for 2 universes? I would need a WAP like the one Scott suggested - no?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

James Paul

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 05:56:53 PM »

ENNTEC ODE, assigned a unique static I.P. address = first universe (512 dmx channels)
DMXKing ODE,  assigned a unique static I.P. address = second universe (512 dmx channels)

You can use an APE with its own I.P. address as a WAP for your network switch.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 10:40:28 PM »

ENNTEC ODE, assigned a unique static I.P. address = first universe (512 dmx channels)
DMXKing ODE,  assigned a unique static I.P. address = second universe (512 dmx channels)

You can use an APE with its own I.P. address as a WAP for your network switch.

But I don't get to choose which ODE I connect to - I get to choose which router I connect to.  I am confused how I could designate which IPad talks to which ODE.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

James Paul

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 11:16:32 PM »

But I don't get to choose which ODE I connect to - I get to choose which router I connect to.  I am confused how I could designate which IPad talks to which ODE.
You should be able to assign separate IP addresses to the ARTNET interfaces via the corresponding utility software, then just choose the interface to connect to via the Luminair app on each of any number of tablets.

Though I have zero hands on experience with Luminair in particular, I do have operational experience with the ODEs and similar iOS/ Android lighting controller apps in the fashion and method detailed, and can confirm success.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 01:37:07 AM »

You should be able to assign separate IP addresses to the ARTNET interfaces via the corresponding utility software, then just choose the interface to connect to via the Luminair app on each of any number of tablets.

James, please read the whole thread.  The controller uses broadcast messages and is not layer 3

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

James Paul

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 02:43:59 AM »

Scott, I had read the thread. Better yet, been there, done that. So what am I misunderstanding ?
Perhaps we may have a misinterpretation.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 02:50:05 AM »

Scott, I had read the thread. Better yet, been there, done that. So what am I misunderstanding ?
Perhaps we may have a misinterpretation.
Debbie's interface use some type of machine layer broadcast protocol.  You can't assign an IP them.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 09:59:30 AM »

I tried to assign IP addresses to the dongles but with DMXKing, I had some difficulty accessing the edit function on the utility program so I wrote to the company. Did not hear back - disappointing.
Anyway, after chatting with Rob Spence about this, it seemed a good idea to give something a try: to assign one Luminair program per iPad to sCAN with art net off and the other to art net on and sCAN off. Tried it last night and VOILA!.. It worked flawlessly using the same router ( and switch)  but the 2 separate dongles were each receiving commands through a different protocol.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »

I tried to assign IP addresses to the dongles but with DMXKing, I had some difficulty accessing the edit function on the utility program so I wrote to the company. Did not hear back - disappointing.
Anyway, after chatting with Rob Spence about this, it seemed a good idea to give something a try: to assign one Luminair program per iPad to sCAN with art net off and the other to art net on and sCAN off. Tried it last night and VOILA!.. It worked flawlessly using the same router ( and switch)  but the 2 separate dongles were each receiving commands through a different protocol.

Nothing wrong with that.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.