ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yamaha DZR range!  (Read 88224 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

Re: New Yamaha DZR range!
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »

Today is the day.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »

Here's the 10 cent tour of a fresh DZR12:
First impressions as I'm unboxing one- it's a good looking box. There is foam and fabric on the OUTSIDE of the grill. I can see this being a wear item depending on what kind of gigs you do. I'm primarily using these for monitors so I'm concerned about that.

The entire box seems more bulky than a DSR. It is very close to the same dimensions and weight of a DSR, but because of the angles and flat back, it just seems bulkier. Probably not going to pack in the van quite as tightly as the DSR.
As the manufacturers photos show, the feet are all in the right places. The bottoms won't get nearly as scraped up as the feetless DSR's do in monitor position. Both sides can tilt to monitor angle as the controls are tucked up in the middle.

Handles- I'd be the first to complain about the top handle on the DSR when placing on stands, but for quick maneuvering around a crowded stage, that top handle works quite well. I kept reaching for it on the new box.

The screen and controls are easy to use, but not as easy as the simple couple of switches on the DSR. You can select HPF from 60-120hz in 10hz increments. You can also dial in your own EQ curve with the 6 band PEQ with selectable HPF/LPF/ hi and low shelving. Lot of flexibility. Built in delay too for use as fills/delays. You can save your settings to a thumbdrive to load onto other DZR12's

Dual pole cups, one at 7*. Nicely done.
Very nice build construction. Very pro looking box, and the electronics are nicely protected by the new cabinet design.

How does it sound? Pretty damn nice.
I set up a DSR and the DZR next to each other, set fullrange, eq's etc bypassed, played a couple familiar tracks back and forth, set volumes to be pretty much even and listened back and forth.
Most owners of DSR112 will be familiar with the hyped 8k area. Probably part of why it is such a great box for getting vocals to cut through a dense mix.
That hyped top end is greatly diminished in the DZR. And the bottom is noticeably extended. Not hyped, it just goes smoothly lower as everyone expected. I haven't had a chance to make them sweat yet, but at a moderate volume they definitely sound more natural than the DSR when comparing side by side.
I like them a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up preferring the DSR's for my type of work. I'll have to take them on a few jobs and see how it goes.

Any questions? I'll leave them set up for the day if anyone wants something checked.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Jay Marr

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2018, 12:53:02 PM »

May not be easy to tell without bringing them out on the road (so maybe this is a question for the future), but do the DZRs seem to have the additional output (139db) that Yamaha is stating in the specs?

And if they do go louder, how do they hold up at that volume.

(thanks for entertaining the questions)

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2018, 03:52:16 PM »

Hi, Thanks for sharing your experience.

Can you elaborate a little more on the Foam and Fabric in Front of the grill ? Is this like the old Apogee speakers with the foam in front of the grill ?

Sounds scary for rental companies (on a budget).

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2018, 04:21:59 PM »

Hi, Thanks for sharing your experience.

Can you elaborate a little more on the Foam and Fabric in Front of the grill ? Is this like the old Apogee speakers with the foam in front of the grill ?

Sounds scary for rental companies (on a budget).
I took the grill off one. The grill itself is the same mesh circle steel of the DSR's, but with a thin layer of foam and a waffle weave type fabric covering the foam (or else a foam back fabric). It's a nice look, and the steel grill obviously protects everything, but I'm just not sure about how it will hold up (or look or keep clean). I suppose if it deteriorates to a certain point, you would simply remove the fabric/foam and have just the grill itself. The grill assembly itself is easy to remove. 4 allen screws on each side and it pops right off.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2018, 04:38:52 PM »

Any chance you could post photos without the grille?

... And perhaps of the drivers themselves?

No worries if not - I understand why you wouldn't want to open up a brand-new pair of speakers, but curiosity is killing me!

TIA,
Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »

Any chance you could post photos without the grille?

... And perhaps of the drivers themselves?

No worries if not - I understand why you wouldn't want to open up a brand-new pair of speakers, but curiosity is killing me!

TIA,
Chris

You can see pictures with grills on and off on Yamaha's website.
Yamaha's USA site
Click on a picture of one of the models and zoom in/out.

I'd like to know more about the foam/fabric.  Having it on the outside of the grill seems odd, but it does give the DZR a slightly different look than most other grills.  Even so, I'd still be concerned about it showing wear rather quickly.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2018, 05:41:56 PM »

I'd like to know more about the foam/fabric.  Having it on the outside of the grill seems odd, but it does give the DZR a slightly different look than most other grills.  Even so, I'd still be concerned about it showing wear rather quickly.

If the foam is removable and washable, that would be a plus. It would potentially keep the speakers looking newer longer. I think that was the idea behind the foam on the Apogees way back.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2018, 05:56:47 PM »

I took the grill off one. The grill itself is the same mesh circle steel of the DSR's, but with a thin layer of foam and a waffle weave type fabric covering the foam (or else a foam back fabric). It's a nice look, and the steel grill obviously protects everything, but I'm just not sure about how it will hold up (or look or keep clean). I suppose if it deteriorates to a certain point, you would simply remove the fabric/foam and have just the grill itself. The grill assembly itself is easy to remove. 4 allen screws on each side and it pops right off.
I'm sure that foam and fabric would be easy enough to replace, should it ever become necessary. You can buy automobile ceiling/headliner fairly cheap that is already foam-backed fabric or felt.
Member since 2005.

Michael Mullin

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »

Hello,
You are in Canada I believe. What will you be selling these DZR 12's for ?

Thanks,
Mike

Here's the 10 cent tour of a fresh DZR12:
First impressions as I'm unboxing one- it's a good looking box. There is foam and fabric on the OUTSIDE of the grill. I can see this being a wear item depending on what kind of gigs you do. I'm primarily using these for monitors so I'm concerned about that.

The entire box seems more bulky than a DSR. It is very close to the same dimensions and weight of a DSR, but because of the angles and flat back, it just seems bulkier. Probably not going to pack in the van quite as tightly as the DSR.
As the manufacturers photos show, the feet are all in the right places. The bottoms won't get nearly as scraped up as the feetless DSR's do in monitor position. Both sides can tilt to monitor angle as the controls are tucked up in the middle.

Handles- I'd be the first to complain about the top handle on the DSR when placing on stands, but for quick maneuvering around a crowded stage, that top handle works quite well. I kept reaching for it on the new box.

The screen and controls are easy to use, but not as easy as the simple couple of switches on the DSR. You can select HPF from 60-120hz in 10hz increments. You can also dial in your own EQ curve with the 6 band PEQ with selectable HPF/LPF/ hi and low shelving. Lot of flexibility. Built in delay too for use as fills/delays. You can save your settings to a thumbdrive to load onto other DZR12's

Dual pole cups, one at 7*. Nicely done.
Very nice build construction. Very pro looking box, and the electronics are nicely protected by the new cabinet design.

How does it sound? Pretty damn nice.
I set up a DSR and the DZR next to each other, set fullrange, eq's etc bypassed, played a couple familiar tracks back and forth, set volumes to be pretty much even and listened back and forth.
Most owners of DSR112 will be familiar with the hyped 8k area. Probably part of why it is such a great box for getting vocals to cut through a dense mix.
That hyped top end is greatly diminished in the DZR. And the bottom is noticeably extended. Not hyped, it just goes smoothly lower as everyone expected. I haven't had a chance to make them sweat yet, but at a moderate volume they definitely sound more natural than the DSR when comparing side by side.
I like them a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up preferring the DSR's for my type of work. I'll have to take them on a few jobs and see how it goes.

Any questions? I'll leave them set up for the day if anyone wants something checked.
[/quote]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.