ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yamaha DZR range!  (Read 89727 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: New Yamaha DZR range!
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2018, 10:59:23 PM »

Looking forward to buying everyone's used DSR's now that they are junk!

Me too... The DZR would have to be very nice indeed and a good step up from the DSR to be worth taking the plunge for me. I'll take discounted DSR's any day of the week!!... ;)

IMHO. if the DZR is that much better than the DSR, it would have to be noticeably better than the SRX series so I might be tempted make the switch if that is the case.....

Just got home from an outdoor show tonight and used the DSR's ..... they do not suck!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2018, 06:24:02 AM »

Me too... The DZR would have to be very nice indeed and a good step up from the DSR to be worth taking the plunge for me...

Me three... I love the way my DSR's sound, but I wish they just had better pattern control. What I mean is, in smaller rooms, I hear a lot of blurring or splatter from wall reflections. It makes it slightly harder to perceive or distinguish every instrument and vocal harmony in the mix. When they are outdoors, that's when they sound a bit more like touring grade boxes with natural sounding mids and highs.

I hope we are seeing the gap between MI and touring grade finally narrowing. If so, I am ready to upgrade.
Member since 2005.

Kent Clasen

« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2018, 11:58:46 AM »

When I was evaluating the DSRs I thought the DSR115 was a tiny bit smoother across the pattern. And I just liked the way the 15's sounded a little thicker with subs. I have constantly been amazed at the spl output and sound of these speakers. When I was demoing I happened to have several other speakers in our shop to we did some listening: Fulcrum DX1277 (had for an install), Danley SM80, and the DSR112/115. The Fulcrum was processed level 1 and sounded the best, the DSR115 sounded closest to the Fulcrum IMO.

I am happy with the DSRs, but also would like to hear the DZRs. The 315 looks like a great box and could use more than 1/side.

Edit- we use SRX828SP subs
Me three... I love the way my DSR's sound, but I wish they just had better pattern control. What I mean is, in smaller rooms, I hear a lot of blurring or splatter from wall reflections. It makes it slightly harder to perceive or distinguish every instrument and vocal harmony in the mix. When they are outdoors, that's when they sound a bit more like touring grade boxes with natural sounding mids and highs.

I hope we are seeing the gap between MI and touring grade finally narrowing. If so, I am ready to upgrade.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:20:34 PM by Kent Clasen »

MikeHarris

« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2018, 12:54:58 PM »

Yamaha rep stopped by yesterday...said they are now shipping limited quantities of DZR..no Dante option yet.
I was surprised at the 'reasonable' up charge for Dante.
If any of y'all get a DZR to audition & compare...plz let us know your thoughts

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2018, 12:59:07 AM »

Having done outdoor pattern sweeps with my DSRs and an RTA, I will say that once you get into the horn the evenness of pattern is very good.  I also set up a pair and did the same horizontal sweep looking for comb filtering as well as recording a pass and listening to it in my studio.  They blend very well from edge to edge.

My K10s have comparitively a lot of roll off above 5k and a ton above 8k way before the stated pattern edges.  If you're in a hard wall venue, I suspect that the DSRs seem to have more reflection issues because there's more HF content at the pattern edges.  I use BT-12 tilters to keep stuff off the ceiling and try to aim to keep it off the sidewalls as well.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »

When I was evaluating the DSRs I thought the DSR115 was a tiny bit smoother across the pattern. And I just liked the way the 15's sounded a little thicker with subs.

This is the kind of direct A/B comparison that I always appreciate in this forum. It's something I've suspected but haven't been able to do myself.

My life as a DJ may be changing soon - and rather than playing out on club systems almost exclusively, I may have to bring my own at times. the DZR15 will be in the hunt - at just 55 pounds they're lighter than the DSR, and only a little heavier than my SRX-715s.   

I don't imagine current DSR owners will be shedding their babies just yet, but I'd be new to the Yamaha camp.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2018, 09:30:48 PM »

the DZR15 will be in the hunt - at just 55 pounds they're lighter than the DSR, and only a little heavier than my SRX-715s.   

I just noticed that - yet the DZR12 is basically the same weight as the DSR112.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2018, 04:07:05 PM »

I just noticed that - yet the DZR12 is basically the same weight as the DSR112.

If these actually  get 5 db louder than  the DSR that might be enough for me to sell my (4) 92 lb Yorkville U15Ps and stop carrying tops that I can barely lift any more.  I have been using my DSRs over the Unity subs and just tickling the limiters so just a couple more db would make me confident that I can use powered 12s for pretty much everything I do.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Scott Bolt

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »

If these actually  get 5 db louder than  the DSR that might be enough for me to sell my (4) 92 lb Yorkville U15Ps and stop carrying tops that I can barely lift any more.  I have been using my DSRs over the Unity subs and just tickling the limiters so just a couple more db would make me confident that I can use powered 12s for pretty much everything I do.
Hi Scott,

I have noticed that there is a good deal more in the DSR112 beyond where the limit lights "tickle".  I have had them where every hit on the bass trips the limiter, and they still sounded perfect".  Now the question really is, can the DSR112 run safely at that level every night without damage ..... I really don't know.  My usual usage I don't even get close to limiting the DSR's since the subs limit much sooner.

The thing about the DZR that really seems interesting to me is that they claim to cover more LF AND get more SPL.  We will see ;)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2018, 09:32:12 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2018, 09:32:12 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.