ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yamaha DZR range!  (Read 89709 times)

John Penkala

Re: New Yamaha DZR range!
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »

Who wants to lift a 92 lb speaker onto a tripod?
Out of curiosity, what is the heaviest speaker that comes with a manufacturer installed pole cup?

EAW EP2A - 135 lbs

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2018, 08:52:41 PM »

Is the decision to use IEC instead of powercon based on the target market being MI level users?

Perhaps targeted at the forgetful - a non-locking IEC cord will work if they forget/lose the nice locking cable Yamaha provided.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2018, 08:56:42 PM »

I am sure they will miss some sales due to the lack of a pole cup.

Maybe they could have made a bracket line the DvTachnologies Igenia series has, with locking pins .

I use ultimatesupport TS99b, speakerstands with my EV ETX-35P, I can get the whole box above 1.75m, this helps the projection ( throw)of the speaker !

If you stack them on two dingle suba, they won’t be high enough.

I

Scott Bolt

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »

Wow guys.  I complain about the 47lbs of my DSR112's when putting them up on a pole.

I kinda feel like a whiner now ;)

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2018, 12:09:50 AM »

Wow guys.  I complain about the 47lbs of my DSR112's when putting them up on a pole.

Along with the weight, the design of the cabinet and handle placement are contributing factors as to how easy, or difficult, it is to get a speaker on a pole. At 65 lbs I have no trouble getting a Danley SM 80 up onto a pole by myself. Mostly because of the shape of the cabinet and excellent placement of the handles.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2018, 05:13:28 AM »

I have just had a reply from Yamaha and they said the DZR12 definitely goes deeper than the DXR15’s. They also said the DZR’s are designed to not only be the loudest in its class but also offer the deepest bass extension in its class.

Definitely want to hear these now!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2018, 05:45:59 AM »

Worst thing I've ever had to put on a pole was SSE Betamax.
Take EV Deltamax (the 15" version, with the DH1a compression driver), remove handles, add steel until it weighs 43kg.
PITA to work with, but eight of those on a stage was really staggeringly loud.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Lyle Williams

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2018, 06:39:20 AM »

Is the decision to use IEC instead of powercon based on the target market being MI level users?

Yes.

But the whole powercon=truely pro thing is a bit farcical.  When you compare it to other power connectors, powercon is the scart of the power world.

These would never be accepable connectors in construction, mining, factory, aviation or military applications.

Even in the installed market in facilities not already filled with powercon, powercon can be a barrier to sales.  You want to use a power connector not recognised by the electrical code?  My insurance might not cover me?  Umm...  Maybe we'll buy something else.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:16:19 PM by Lyle Williams »

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »

I have just had a reply from Yamaha and they said the DZR12 definitely goes deeper than the DXR15’s. They also said the DZR’s are designed to not only be the loudest in its class but also offer the deepest bass extension in its class.

Definitely want to hear these now!

I'm disappointed that they're trying to make a 12" box produce "deep bass" like everyone else. The focus on reproducing 80+Hz with the DSR12 is what makes it stand out above the crowd. The DZR sounds like a step back toward joining the crowd and gaming the specs. I have my doubts that it'll sound as good as the DSR for this reason. I'm not saying it can't be done but there seems to be an inverse relationship between sound quality/output and bass extension in smaller boxes. I look forward to in-the-wild reviews.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »

I'm disappointed that they're trying to make a 12" box produce "deep bass" like everyone else. The focus on reproducing 80+Hz with the DSR12 is what makes it stand out above the crowd. The DZR sounds like a step back toward joining the crowd and gaming the specs. I have my doubts that it'll sound as good as the DSR for this reason. I'm not saying it can't be done but there seems to be an inverse relationship between sound quality/output and bass extension in smaller boxes. I look forward to in-the-wild reviews.

I must admit Corey I have considered this too. My DSR's cannot reproduce lows like some other 12's can and definitely nowhere close to some 15's. I don't want them to!!!
They do what they are supposed to do unlike anything else in their price range. Clear pronounced but warm mid range and highs with acceptable lows depending on the application.  I always use mine with subs so I have never required anything under 100hz anyway. Surely this important feature has to become compromised to achieve a deeper response. 
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.