ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yamaha DZR range!  (Read 88267 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: New Yamaha DZR range!
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 05:52:35 PM »

I dunno guys....I'm not seeing anything to get excited about from a SPL point of view.

This is based on a quick comparison of the DXR self-powereds, vs the CZR passives.
The boxes/drivers appear to be the same between the two, other than I don't see a passive equivalent of the DXR315.

If you look at the passive specs, the peak spl bullshit that is quoted in the DXR series drops down to the more familiar, noise/pgm/peak... bullshit...
which is a heck of a lot lower  than the DXR's claimed peak SPL, and is at least inline with the 'usual new industry specs' bullshit...

The DXR's peak SPL is clearly coming off of the HF driver only, as Chris was pointing out.....
...and you'd better have a really fast peak reading meter  ;)

Pretty much the same thing the DSR's say, but we all know that the DSR 12's are the current reigning cham-peen of the MI-class powered speaker. These will probably be DSR's with a nicer input module and Dante ability. I can see them selling a metric ton of these things to venues that have Dante.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jerry Prince

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 06:17:56 PM »

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:22:42 PM by Jerry Prince »

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 07:06:27 PM »

It's good to know that Yamaha put side handles on the DZRs.  Not having them on the DSR112 is a big negative.  The DZR12 has a 1" diaphragm compression driver vs. the 2" in the DSR112.  Curious to hear how the new boxes sound.  Now that Yamaha is offering a $100 rebate on each DSR112, it's tempting.  No side handles, though...  :(

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 07:16:00 PM »

I foresee more speakers in Debbie D's future.

James Paul

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 07:23:15 PM »

The DZR12 has a 1" diaphragm compression driver vs. the 2" in the DSR112.
All models in the DSR & DZR utilize 2" NDYM voice coil, 1" exit HF compression drivers.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 08:09:19 PM »

So.....I have to say I'm not up on this Dante thingy.... is it like Behringer's Ultranet ( not that I know anything about that either)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 08:10:50 PM »

So.....I have to say I'm not up on this Dante thingy.... is it like Behringer's Ultranet ( not that I know anything about that either)

Yes, it's the most popular (an supported) audio over Ethernet standard.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 08:26:37 PM »

Welcome to Hell, your guide will be Virgil....

Dante is the name of a digital audio transport protocol by Audinate.

https://www.audinate.com/solutions/dante-overview

Unlike most other digital audio transport, Dante uses TCP/IP (like the LAN in your home network or WAN like the Internet) packet switched networks (Dante uses other protocols to do housekeeping and word clock but that's for another time)...

https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/packet-switched

Think of the digitized audio on a Dante network as a water main - you can tap it almost anywhere and get what you need, and even inject it back onto the network.  Once you have the digital audio on the network it's largely brand-agnostic, too.  Any device that is Dante-compliant can play along.

If you have a Dante network that rings a facility, campus or theatre you can, in theory, configure i/o devices to access the network at pretty much any point...  Each device has a unique identifier and signals can be routed to & from each device.  Powered speakers, mixers, wireless mics...

CATegory cable or fiber, suitable for the amount of data on the network, works.  No special cabling or infrastructure requirements beyond having Dante-compliant data switches (see threads on Classic LAB for this bit of fun).

Dante has quirks and our own Andrew Broughton seems particularly adept at finding those quirks.  Go, Andy!

That's a bit of Dante in a nutshell.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 09:09:04 PM »

Welcome to Hell, your guide will be Virgil....

Dante is the name of a digital audio transport protocol by Audinate.

https://www.audinate.com/solutions/dante-overview

Unlike most other digital audio transport, Dante uses TCP/IP (like the LAN in your home network or WAN like the Internet) packet switched networks (Dante uses other protocols to do housekeeping and word clock but that's for another time)...

https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/packet-switched

Think of the digitized audio on a Dante network as a water main - you can tap it almost anywhere and get what you need, and even inject it back onto the network.  Once you have the digital audio on the network it's largely brand-agnostic, too.  Any device that is Dante-compliant can play along.

If you have a Dante network that rings a facility, campus or theatre you can, in theory, configure i/o devices to access the network at pretty much any point...  Each device has a unique identifier and signals can be routed to & from each device.  Powered speakers, mixers, wireless mics...

CATegory cable or fiber, suitable for the amount of data on the network, works.  No special cabling or infrastructure requirements beyond having Dante-compliant data switches (see threads on Classic LAB for this bit of fun).

Dante has quirks and our own Andrew Broughton seems particularly adept at finding those quirks.  Go, Andy!

That's a bit of Dante in a nutshell.

Holy Macaroni.....clever stuff then?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 11:26:12 PM »

It's the big boy version of Ultra-net.

I don't see an Audio Architect like thing and even though there's a lock function, I'm not crazy about 200 DSP settings at the box.  Would be nice to broadcast a setup and ensure everything is in an expected state.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 11:26:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.