ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground this....  (Read 11858 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Ground this....
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 10:55:12 AM »

Forgive my ineptness with NEC.

But would grounding to the pipe actually help at all?

Or ground rods, or nearly anything other than a dedicated ground wire?

My understanding is grounds can become dangerous if there isn't a dedicated ground wire in the system and grounding to pipes is only permissible when using ALL metal pipes which is highly unlikely these days (basically its for grandfathered piping systems).
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »

I think they reused the existing underground wiring and just poured new pads and hung new pedestals. But I have very little information just yet. But I know it's an error x100.
Ugly, but use of GFCI outlets in the pedestals will provide a modicum of human safety.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 11:50:23 AM »

If it's an all metal water pipe system camp-ground wide, it will be a lot better grounding system than ground rods.  But it has to be done correctly.
Speedskater

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 12:27:35 PM »

If it's an all metal water pipe system camp-ground wide, it will be a lot better grounding system than ground rods.  But it has to be done correctly.
But if the copper isn't bonded to neutral (like due to some plastic plumbing), a fault energizing that floating ground at one pedestal, could energize the floating ground at all the other pedestals (like my old kitchen wiring).

JR

Kevin Graf

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »

But if the copper isn't bonded to neutral (like due to some plastic plumbing)............................
JR
That's the problem with metal pipe ground systems.  As time goes by, more and more plastic finds its way into the system. In my old suburb, they are replacing the metal main pipes with plastic, a few streets at a time.  I don't know what they do about grounding the individual homes that only have water pipe grounds.
Speedskater

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 02:22:13 PM »

Work like that is why I use these. I always meter everything before connecting but you never know what’s wrong down the line or will be tomorrow!

I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Ground this....
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »

Mike, great catch.

I hope you get published before someone dies.

I would think the maker of the pedestals would want it fixed before they get caught up in lawsuits.

I hope the campground is closed. If not I hope a camper calls the state AHJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »

That's the problem with metal pipe ground systems.  As time goes by, more and more plastic finds its way into the system. In my old suburb, they are replacing the metal main pipes with plastic, a few streets at a time.  I don't know what they do about grounding the individual homes that only have water pipe grounds.

If there's metal pipes interconnecting these pedestal "grounds" in an area, but a section of the mail feeder pipe was changed to plastic, then a hot-to-chassis short in one of the RVs could energize all the other RVs in that section, as well as electrify the water from any spigot in that section. Seems like a very dangerous situation to me that shouldn't be allowed.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 05:00:22 PM »

If there's metal pipes interconnecting these pedestal "grounds" in an area, but a section of the mail feeder pipe was changed to plastic, then a hot-to-chassis short in one of the RVs could energize all the other RVs in that section, as well as electrify the water from any spigot in that section. Seems like a very dangerous situation to me that shouldn't be allowed.
+1... GFCI outlets and forget the copper plumbing ground will probably do less harm to humans, and be affordable.

JR

Kevin Graf

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 05:02:19 PM »

If the pipes are metal and accessible, they should be at least bonded to the Safety Ground at each pedestal. If there is 10 feet or more, metal pipe in the earth, they serve the same function as a ground rod.
Speedskater

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 05:02:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.