Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Observation: Many subs seem most sensitive at around 100Hz.

(1/3) > >>

Gordon Brinton:
I mix a lot of rock and modern country bands in small venues, so levels can get a bit strong in the heat of the night. I generally don't go much over 100dB, but still, that sounds fairly loud in a typical bar or banquet room.

I've owned several different brands and models of subs over the years, and mixed on even more that were owned by others. In my opinion, many of them, regardless of type, seemed to be more prone to feedback at or near 100Hz. This especially if they are on or against a hollow wooden stage that transfers vibration.

I frequently end up notching sharply at 100Hz just to squeeze out a bit more punch or high-passing vocals and instruments to keep things under control. Even my front-loaded 18's that are supposedly flat (+/- 3dB) from 40 to 120 seem to be more sensitive at 100Hz than they are at 60 and 80Hz. They have a fixed crossover at 120Hz, so I must deal with it.

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Paul G. OBrien:

--- Quote from: Gordon Brinton on April 08, 2018, 11:46:16 AM ---They have a fixed crossover at 120Hz
--- End quote ---
I bet that is your problem. What subs are they? Are you high passing the tops at 120hz too or running them full range? An 80hz low pass on subs sounds better to me and I never run tops full range... always crossed at the same frequency or higher than the subs.

Ivan Beaver:
All you have to do is to look at the freq response graphs of various subs, and that will answer the question on sensitivity.

But yes, in general, most subs are higher in sensitivity at the higher freq.

Riley Casey:
High passing vocals should be the default starting set up for any live performance micing. There is nothing you need below 120hz on a male voice and 140 for a female voice and those choices are easily dialed higher if the acoustics demand.  There is no reason your stuck with 120 the low pass on your subs either.  Feed the subs from an aux buss with an EQ cut at 100 hz and I suspect your mix will clean up noticeably.

--- Quote from: Gordon Brinton on April 08, 2018, 11:46:16 AM ---

I frequently end up notching sharply at 100Hz just to squeeze out a bit more punch or high-passing vocals and instruments to keep things under control. Even my front-loaded 18's that are supposedly flat (+/- 3dB) from 40 to 120 seem to be more sensitive at 100Hz than they are at 60 and 80Hz. They have a fixed crossover at 120Hz, so I must deal with it.

--- End quote ---

Don T. Williams:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on April 09, 2018, 09:15:42 AM ---High passing vocals should be the default starting set up for any live performance micing. There is nothing you need below 120hz on a male voice and 140 for a female voice and those choices are easily dialed higher if the acoustics demand.  There is no reason your stuck with 120 the low pass on your subs either.  Feed the subs from an aux buss with an EQ cut at 100 hz and I suspect your mix will clean up noticeably.

--- End quote ---

+1 for high-pass as the default setting.  There are still a few mixers out there with 6 dB/octave HP filters which are better than nothing, but barely usable.  Probably designed by the same people that design 120 Hz or 150Hz low-pass on a stand alone sub. Duh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version