ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX king / Luminair v3 how to configure??  (Read 5779 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
DMX king / Luminair v3 how to configure??
« on: April 05, 2018, 10:40:04 AM »

As most of you know, I upgraded to Luminair v3 from v2 recently. Over the weekend I discovered something else that now needs to be addressed.
I use an Enttec art net ode for shows but I also have a DMXking that I take as my spare.
The other day I was messing round with my lights and connected the DMX king to my router. I found I can no longer get it to work with Luminair v3 but when I switch back to v2 (I still have my v2 show on my iPad - just no programming ability), it works fine.
I get so confused when it comes to IP addresses and such but I believe when I first got the Enttec, I called the tech guy who walked me through setting it up and I allocated specific address.
However, when I got the DMXking, I was able to use it right away as it was pre-set for broadcast - is that right?
Anyway, can someone help me set up the DMX king so it will work with Luminair v3?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Karseboom

Re: DMX king / Luminair v3 how to configure??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »

If you click the little circle in the upper right corner of Luminair, then click Art-Net, then click Node under output, do you see the eDMX1 as a node?  It should display  the IP address of the eDMX1. 

If not, do you have the router, iPad, and eDMX1 all setup in the same IP address range?

Also, it you changed the subnet/universe from 0,0 you might have to reconfigure the eDMX1.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »

If you click the little circle in the upper right corner of Luminair, then click Art-Net, then click Node under output, do you see the eDMX1 as a node?  It should display  the IP address of the eDMX1. 

If not, do you have the router, iPad, and eDMX1 all setup in the same IP address range?

Also, it you changed the subnet/universe from 0,0 you might have to reconfigure the eDMX1.

I looked here before - unsure of what I should see. I just checked again and I don't see the DMXking address. The DMX1 is flashing to show transmitting.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 01:52:34 PM »

The settings on V3 show broadcasting to all nodes. On v2 it shows the same.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:21:09 PM »

If the device does not show up, one problem could be the IP address.

Well it is difficult to debug something like this over the internet.  I know you have a logical mind and great reasoning skill so I suggest you establish some sort of base line where the eDMX1 device works. 

I would connect a laptop directly to the device with an ethernet cable and attach 1 simple dmx LED fixture.  Then use the eDMX configuration utility program on the laptop to demonstrate you can control the fixture.  One benefit is that the eDMX configuration utility will also find DMXKing devices with   "wrong" network addresses.  Note that if it is in the "wrong" address space, you will need to change your PC's IP address space to match before you can edit the settings for the eDMX1 device.

If your device and PC are in the same address spaces and communicating, then use the top menu View > DMX Display  option to TRANSMIT to your device a the correct address to demonstrate proper output.  Just going through this exercise will probably reveal the nature of your problem with Luminair.  The eDMX1 device, the router, and the iPad all  need to be on the same network and not have IP address conflicts.
--Mike

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 02:51:23 PM »

I have downloaded the utility program but unsure where to go now. All it shows is network, port 1 ,2,3 and 4. at the bottom it shows  an IP address and there is a button for Node scan.
I have such problem doing this kind of thing -- it is my biggest stumbling block. I am convinced the problem is the IP address of the DMXking. I don't want to change something and then find my system doesn't work with the Enttec. I checked the system using Enttec and found I have been using broadcast there this whole time but haven't had these issues. OR like I said with  Luminair V2.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »

When you say it works with Luminair V2 that is a bit of a conundrum for me.  I did not make any changes to the DMXking device  nor my network or settings when I  migrated and it seemed to continue working with V3.  So I am a little concerned that I am  missing the main problem and encouraging you to engage the  alligators when you just  wanted  to drain the swamp.

Nevertheless, I do think you should have a working DMXKing configuration utility so will continue down that rabbit hole.  First, what specific DMXKing art-net device do you have?  I have a couple of the old eDMX1 devices.  There is a specific configuration utility download for these and it is NOT the one that has com ports listed at the top.  That is the ultradmx config.  So the first thing is to make sure you are using the correct utility.

Next is to make sure the utility can see the device.  Note that any ol' ethernet cable should work.  The port on the computer should be able to work with a crossover  or non-crossover type cable.  As mentioned the utility  should find your DMXking device even if the PC IP address space does not match.  If the addresses are incompatible, you will need to change your PC address to match by going into your ethernet adapter settings and setting a fixed IP.

For example,  I typically use 192.168.1.1 for all my routers.  So I would set this as the fixed IP for the laptop in this situation.  But I  think the default setting on the eDMX1 device is  192.168.0.111.  So it has the wrong number in the 3rd octet.  I would need to temporarily change my laptop to use the fixed  IP of something like 192.168.0.1.  Then I should be able to edit the configuration for the eDMX1 device and change it's address to  something that will work with your router.  So for me, I used a fixed IP on the eDMX1 device of 192.168.1.10.  I use the same fixed IP for all my art-net devices which allows  me to easily swap them without re-configuring dmx control software programs like Martin MPC.  I don't use the DHCP option on  the eDMX1 device but I suppose that could work also.  When done, change your laptop back to the address you normally use and see if you can still connect and edit the eDMX1 device.

Also, if you have had the device for some time and you are downloading the latest config utility, be forewarned that you will probably have to flash an update to the device firmware.  This is easily accomplished from within the utility.

After all that, with laptop talking to the device, you could use the View > DMX Display to TRANSMIT dmx to a fixture and confirm basic functionality.
--Mike

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 03:53:03 PM »

So first of all I have the old DMX PRO 1.
I am also confused that I am able to get immediate results when i use Luminair v2  yet cannot with v3. However, I can switch back and forth from v2 to v3 using the Enttec with no issues but NOT the DMX king.
I have 'broadcast' setting on both the Enttec and the DMXking according to the iPad yet only the Enttec works.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 07:26:37 PM »

I fixed it!! I had to enable sACN. I didn't need to have it enabled for the Enttec but I did for the DMX king........ YAY..

Thank you Mike for spending the time to try to help me - I appreciate it !

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 08:50:52 PM »

I fixed it!! I had to enable sACN. I didn't need to have it enabled for the Enttec but I did for the DMX king........ YAY..

Thank you Mike for spending the time to try to help me - I appreciate it !

Glad to see you found it. I was reading this and realizing that I have Luminaire 3 and the DMX Pro 1. It all worked with little effort when I bought it, but I haven't had time to do any programming at all. My Magic 260 just took a dump on me, so I need to get this thing working!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 08:50:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.