ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows, is it me?  (Read 7852 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Windows, is it me?
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 08:02:11 PM »

Most of my computing stuff these days is Apple.

I find that I spend too much time making a windows machine work for me while I simply get to use my Apple gear.

I spent much of my career in the IT world. Not interested any more. I want to make sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

this^^

I've got a windows 10 Pro machine 5 feet away from me right now [with touchscreen] that i wouldn't DREAM of using on a show even just as playback or walk in music as i just can't trust it.  But i'll run 8 mission critical Applications at once on my 2011 MBP with 4 different networks running without batting an eye.  Mostly because it freaking works no matter what i throw at it, and doesn't do things i don't want it to do without at least asking me VERY politely first....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 08:03:11 PM »

Rob, if you want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro I can send you info for inexpensive license keys.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 11:23:52 PM »

Rob, if you want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro I can send you info for inexpensive license keys.

Yes please.

I want to play back a 4hr playlist only interrupted by a bunch of clips run by a cart machine app.

Oh, and I would use a MBP but, well, there is the touch screen thing...

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 12:09:44 AM »

I'm very seriously considering buying my father-in-law a mac so I can stop dealing with Windows problems.  Every time I clean up that computer it sucks hours out of my life, makes me frustrated, and doesn't last.  MacOS will be a learning curve for him, but not much since most of what he does is on the Internet.  I too left the IT world (10 years ago now!) and I just don't want to keep doing a job I don't like.  Macs aren't perfect but they're a helluva lot more perfect that windows.  I'm almost convinced that the cost will be worth the saved frustrations.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 12:14:20 AM »

I'm very seriously considering buying my father-in-law a mac so I can stop dealing with Windows problems.  Every time I clean up that computer it sucks hours out of my life, makes me frustrated, and doesn't last.  MacOS will be a learning curve for him, but not much since most of what he does is on the Internet.  I too left the IT world (10 years ago now!) and I just don't want to keep doing a job I don't like.  Macs aren't perfect but they're a helluva lot more perfect that windows.  I'm almost convinced that the cost will be worth the saved frustrations.

We did that for the inlaws. First (& 2nd) time he got social hacked, a visit to the Apple store with the time capsule got the iMac back to pre-hack status. Worth every penny.
That and Logmein makes long distance IT much more pleasant.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 01:10:13 PM »

I can’t turn off auto updates. Yesterday, while I am working on getting firmware loaded on a USB for a mixer it decided to do updates and locked me out for an hour.

Just yesterday, I had to deal with a customer's computer. It had done a Windows 10 update (a release upgrade) and in the process it restarted but then windows would load and you'd end up with a black screen.

I was able to use an installation image to edit the boot record to boot to the previous Windows 10 version (because the upgrade never completed). But, alas, four hours later it was insisting to reboot for "updates" -- by that time, I had recovered all of the necessary data from the system to copy to the new system I was replacing it with.

We'll see how long the new system lasts before a forced update borks it, too. The new system is Windows 10 also.

(For the record, the old system originally had Windows 7 Home, upgraded to Windows 10 through Microsoft's deceptive prompts.)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »

Yes please.

I want to play back a 4hr playlist only interrupted by a bunch of clips run by a cart machine app.

Oh, and I would use a MBP but, well, there is the touch screen thing...

Check your PMs.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »

Just yesterday, I had to deal with a customer's computer. It had done a Windows 10 update (a release upgrade) and in the process it restarted but then windows would load and you'd end up with a black screen.

I was able to use an installation image to edit the boot record to boot to the previous Windows 10 version (because the upgrade never completed). But, alas, four hours later it was insisting to reboot for "updates" -- by that time, I had recovered all of the necessary data from the system to copy to the new system I was replacing it with.

We'll see how long the new system lasts before a forced update borks it, too. The new system is Windows 10 also.

(For the record, the old system originally had Windows 7 Home, upgraded to Windows 10 through Microsoft's deceptive prompts.)

My former desktop machine did pretty much the same thing - during one of the 4 or 5 reboots the fall creator's update does, it hung.  Enough of Windows boots that it knows there is a problem and it attempts automatic recovery, but fails.  The advanced options also fail.

I ended up removing the HD from the case and pulled all of the data files I needed to do my taxes.  The machine was originally Win7 home, updated to Win10; the previous W10 updates worked without a hitch.  The machine was due for replacement a couple years ago (Core2 Duo!) anyway but but the update failure was an unpleasant way to make it happen.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 02:12:33 PM »

Strangely I've had no real problems with any of my Windows 10 machines, from a few laptops running W10 64bit (i3 sandy bridge x 2, i5 Ivy bridge, and AMD A4), to a few old desktops running W10 32bit (2 x 1st gen Pentium Dual-core (Conroe) and Core2Duo)]. All are on the latest update and despite the age of the desktops run quite nice.

The only two real problems is that there are no drivers for the JMICRON SATA chipset in one of the computers for W10 and my ASUS transformer book doesn't want to go into tablet mode (although that is probably more hardware related).

The only other annoyance and one that is not Microsoft's fault is that Roland decided to stop developing the driver for the SH-201 after windows 8 so no USB connection from W8.1 onwards, and given that is has a built in ASIO interface usful for jamming along with a laptop.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 06:22:08 PM »

The machine was due for replacement a couple years ago (Core2 Duo!) anyway but but the update failure was an unpleasant way to make it happen.

I wonder how many other machines Windows 10 ate? 

My ThinkPad to MBP transition timed out to where I kept a ThinkPad (P40 Yoga) as a personal use laptop to replace a finally-dying 8 year old ThinkPad.  I decided to upgrade said ThinkPad from Windows 10 to Windows 7 while I still could, and never have I ever had a tougher time getting a copy of Windows to fully delete!  Long story short I had to physically remove the hard drive from the machine, install it in my desktop computer, and finally reformat the drive that way.  I have to question the necessity of embedding the OS so deeply on the hard drive that it can't be erased except by another machine entirely... 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 06:22:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.