Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

SDI cable suggestions?

(1/4) > >>

Rob Spence:
I need about 125’ of SDI cable.

Much coax cable seems pretty stiff with annoying memory.
I need cable to deploy for a gig then coil after.
I expect it doesn’t have to be quite as limp as some XLR cables.

Since 100’ seems to be a standard length, would coupling a 100 & a 25 together be a problem?

Suggestions on cables and suppliers? I would like them pre terminated.

Thanks. Getting closer to my needed video setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Michael Thompson:

--- Quote from: Rob Spence on April 02, 2018, 01:51:49 PM ---I need about 125’ of SDI cable.

Since 100’ seems to be a standard length, would coupling a 100 & a 25 together be a problem?

--- End quote ---

I've been very happy with Belden1694F.  It's probably as flexible as your'll find for a coax at that length if you want 3G-SDI bandwidth.  Belden's data sheet indicates that it should be good for 174 ft.@ 3G-SDI, 260 ft. @ 1.5G and 892 ft for SD-SDI widescreen (even longer for PAL and NTSC).

Milt Hathaway:
I've been getting mine through Markertek. My heavier-duty HD-SDI cables are Canare L-5CFW, and I have some lighter ones (when appearance matters more than durability) that are Belden 1505F (although apparently there is now a better Belden model number for this use).

Both types want to be carefully over/undered, in fact the Belden will fight if you if you don't do it correctly. These are the cables I allow no other person to handle.

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Rob Spence on April 02, 2018, 01:51:49 PM ---I need about 125’ of SDI cable.

--- End quote ---

Others have suggested good cable choices.  My only input is to avoid coupling two cables together, particularly at this distance.  Anything over 100’ and SDI tends get to get more finicky.  And BNC couplers introduce signal losses on top of being notorious failure points.

Another note.  Everything in an SDI signal path is going to be rated up to a certain number of Gs, including connectors.  It’s a bit like RF in this way.  So it pays to just buy good stuff to begin with.  Then when you end up using this cable with 12G 4K sometime in the future, it’ll still work...

Rob Spence:
Thanks for all the information.

So, I bought Belden 1694F from Markertek.

I presume that fiber is used for longer runs. At what length does coax stop being effective?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version