ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante Multitracking Issues  (Read 13203 times)

Derek Toews

Re: Dante Multitracking Issues
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 05:43:33 PM »

Thanks - I'll update the name.

I use the Netgear $30 switches at a few places that have smaller Dante networks and never have had an issue either but I haven't tried it with more than 5 things on Dante.

I'd be very curious to know. Would love to find out if all my troubles were due to the Cisco switches.
BTW - you might want to fix your username, even if your name is Derek Toews, you might want to separate them First [space] Last as per the rules here...

Derek Toews

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »

So random question to maybe help me troubleshoot this some more.

What is the average latency on the computers on your Dante network?
Since I know the latency is an issue, maybe I can figure it out better and know what the latency is "supposed to be".

I've used a wide variety of Cisco switch combinations with Dante over the last 2-3 years as well as using good ol' dumb Netgear Gigabit switches far more times than i care to admit.  The only switch combo that has NEVER given me any issues is the dumb Blue Netgear switches.

Am i recommending those for your situation?  No.  I recognize ALL the potential issues there.  But it's interesting to me that the most reliable consistent performance i've gotten with a wide variety of Dante applications is the most ubiquitous, cheap generic dumb switch available....

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »

Since I know the latency is an issue, maybe I can figure it out better and know what the latency is "supposed to be".

Super high quality question, but one i can't answer since 99 percent of my use of Dante is in the field on shows, so i can't really go back and check.  The other caveat to my uses is that the network is a different combination of devices and switches and and and every time.  so a lot of variables...

That being said, i've got an install i'm currently working on where i CAN check just this sort of thing.  It's also on a Cisco Meraki switch which means i can also look at things like how much traffic is actually being generated by all my various Dante devices as well as other nifty things.

Stay tuned.  I'll do some testing in the next couple days and hopefully share something useful...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Derek Toews

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 06:22:44 PM »

That'd be awesome. Thank you!

Super high quality question, but one i can't answer since 99 percent of my use of Dante is in the field on shows, so i can't really go back and check.  The other caveat to my uses is that the network is a different combination of devices and switches and and and every time.  so a lot of variables...

That being said, i've got an install i'm currently working on where i CAN check just this sort of thing.  It's also on a Cisco Meraki switch which means i can also look at things like how much traffic is actually being generated by all my various Dante devices as well as other nifty things.

Stay tuned.  I'll do some testing in the next couple days and hopefully share something useful...

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Dante Multitracking Issues
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 08:42:21 PM »

I just set it at the highest possible value. 10ms? 20ms?
Don’t care about latency as it’s just a recording.

I do though care a lot about glitches and skips, which is what I’ve been getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Greg Bellotte

• SLC, UT
    • www.MambaFiber.com
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 07:11:04 PM »

I've been having some issues lately with Dante on my SG300's as well. we've added more edge devices and sometime the extreme ends of the network are not coming up, or show in DC but produce no audio when patched. odd as you can ping all of the units but they still don't work properly.

we narrowed the issue down to our SG300's, and have found success by removing the multicast and IGMP settings as recommended by the Yahama guide. all other settings from the guide remain. haven't gone further than making it work, hopefully have time in the next month or so to see just why this is causing us grief. thinking maybe IGMP should only be on in one switch, we have as many as 12 switches in play end to end. going without IGMP at all for now, no issues so far.

for the record, our network for Dante is its own VLAN with no other traffic. this VLAN (and others) trunk between switches. we use Cisco SG300, TP-Link managed and unmanaged switches across the network.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:19:47 PM by Greg Bellotte »
timing is everything...

www.MambaFiber.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 07:11:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.