ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante Multitracking Issues  (Read 13208 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Dante Multitracking Issues
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »

That is one thing I haven’t tried to do but I probably should and see if I come up with anything. To answer some of the other questions -
When I was troubleshooting with Audinate, they suggested putting one CL5 as preferred Master and Sync to External and set that CL5 to internal sync - not Dante. Hasn’t helped.

And to answer David - I’ve tried multitracking on at least 5 different computers (Mac Mini, IMac, MacBook Pro - all fully upgraded new machines) and have the same issues on all of them. Which makes me think it can’t be a computer thing.

What network settings (since all we use are Macs) are you referring to?

One thing that can get to you on any computer is if there is competition for access to the hard drive. Data rates are very fast but the mechanics of disk access are very slow.

In general it is risky to write audio to the system disk. That is, the boot disk most of the time. Use a second disk or a solid state disk.

The problem is that the operating system will decide to do some disk access at a random time which will cause some audio data loss.

This may not be your problem but I have seen it plenty in my years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Robert Lofgren

Derek Toews

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »

I will for sure try this as I know this to be an issue as well... it's just that when I monitor HD performance and what not it's barely working (4% or less). And I guess I just don't know how this could effect network latency.

And Robert - I looked through that forum - checked the ethernet settings and they are all just full-duplex on the computers. One interesting thing to note is when I change the setting to "full duplex, flow-control" it instantly boots the computer off the network... doesn't even act like the ethernet is plugged in. (this can't be normal)

I think the first thing I'll try is removing things one by one off the network and see if anything is affected. That seems to be about the only thing I haven't tried.

One thing I did that actually "works" is I moved the whole network to Daisy Chain and plugged a Mac into the Secondary port on the CL5 and multitracked that way and it worked perfect... latency was very consistent and around .500 msec or less. (This was something audinate suggested to try). But they didn't have an explanation for why this would work and plugging into the switch doesn't. I just prefer to have everything running redundant personally so I don't want to Daisy Chain everything permanently.

One thing that can get to you on any computer is if there is competition for access to the hard drive. Data rates are very fast but the mechanics of disk access are very slow.

In general it is risky to write audio to the system disk. That is, the boot disk most of the time. Use a second disk or a solid state disk.

The problem is that the operating system will decide to do some disk access at a random time which will cause some audio data loss.

This may not be your problem but I have seen it plenty in my years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:52:19 AM by derektoews »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 12:20:17 PM »

I haven't been able to get a glitch-free DVS recording in a couple of years. Due to other issues I've seen with Dante over the years, I'm very much starting to suspect the (rental) Cisco switches are the cause of the problem. Most likely mis-configuration, but possibly hardware issues as well. Thinking back a few years ago, I had a different set of switches in my Yamaha system, and had no problems with multitracking. Too bad the Yamaha switches are so damned expensive!

Is there a "settings file" that can be uploaded to a Cisco SG300 series switch? I'm thinking like:
- Factory reset switch to defaults and as new settings
- Load a settings file into the switch with "Known best Dante settings" which comes from Audinate or Yamaha

From what I can tell, there's so many menus and settings in the Cisco, it would be easy for something to be set wrong (especially for a non-IT person) and go unnoticed...

If Audinate or Yamaha won't put out a settings file (does Cisco have a way to set their switches from an external file?) then maybe the community here can put one together?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »

I haven't been able to get a glitch-free DVS recording in a couple of years. Due to other issues I've seen with Dante over the years, I'm very much starting to suspect the (rental) Cisco switches are the cause of the problem. Most likely mis-configuration, but possibly hardware issues as well. Thinking back a few years ago, I had a different set of switches in my Yamaha system, and had no problems with multitracking. Too bad the Yamaha switches are so damned expensive!

Is there a "settings file" that can be uploaded to a Cisco SG300 series switch? I'm thinking like:
- Factory reset switch to defaults and as new settings
- Load a settings file into the switch with "Known best Dante settings" which comes from Audinate or Yamaha

From what I can tell, there's so many menus and settings in the Cisco, it would be easy for something to be set wrong (especially for a non-IT person) and go unnoticed...

If Audinate or Yamaha won't put out a settings file (does Cisco have a way to set their switches from an external file?) then maybe the community here can put one together?

I have been using this for years.
Yamaha SG-300 Setup Guide

You could perform the setup once, then save those settings (last page of the linked setup guide).  The problem is that when you load those settings into a new switch, unless I am mistaken, all switches will have the same IP address and name.  Which could get a little messy if you try to program it while connected to the network.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Derek Toews

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »

I could see how it would be a Cisco switch problem - but I’ve swapped the switch out with a TP Link switch as well as Meraki switches and everything acts the same. I’ve also setup the Cisco using that Yamaha guide.

I have been using this for years.
Yamaha SG-300 Setup Guide

You could perform the setup once, then save those settings (last page of the linked setup guide).  The problem is that when you load those settings into a new switch, unless I am mistaken, all switches will have the same IP address and name.  Which could get a little messy if you try to program it while connected to the network.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:19:02 PM by derektoews »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 01:42:12 PM »

I could see how it would be a Cisco switch problem - but I’ve swapped the switch out with a TP Link switch as well as Meraki switches and everything acts the same. I’ve also setup the Cisco using that Yamaha guide.

But.... You did say it works properly when the switches are not used, correct? Sounds like you at least know now where the problem lies - in the switches... Just reinforces what I was suspecting before. I would like to compare to a Yamaha switch if I could ever get my hands on 4 of them!
-Andy

Derek Toews

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 03:34:51 PM »

Yea I guess the problem lies in the switches... but why? Seems like others have had this issue as well... but then is it really the switches? Just seems off... I'll rent a few of the yamaha's for a week and see what happens.

But.... You did say it works properly when the switches are not used, correct? Sounds like you at least know now where the problem lies - in the switches... Just reinforces what I was suspecting before. I would like to compare to a Yamaha switch if I could ever get my hands on 4 of them!

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 04:01:45 PM »

Yea I guess the problem lies in the switches... but why? Seems like others have had this issue as well... but then is it really the switches? Just seems off... I'll rent a few of the yamaha's for a week and see what happens.

I'd be very curious to know. Would love to find out if all my troubles were due to the Cisco switches.
BTW - you might want to fix your username, even if your name is Derek Toews, you might want to separate them First [space] Last as per the rules here...
-Andy

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 04:40:36 PM »

I've used a wide variety of Cisco switch combinations with Dante over the last 2-3 years as well as using good ol' dumb Netgear Gigabit switches far more times than i care to admit.  The only switch combo that has NEVER given me any issues is the dumb Blue Netgear switches.

Am i recommending those for your situation?  No.  I recognize ALL the potential issues there.  But it's interesting to me that the most reliable consistent performance i've gotten with a wide variety of Dante applications is the most ubiquitous, cheap generic dumb switch available....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 04:40:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.